The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

heat shield under hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowridin2g

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2002
Pembroke, Massachusetts
the ugly ass tinfoil looking heat shield on the underside of the hood i wanna rip it off. but before i do anyone know whats the plus's of having it there and what besides looks would be benifited from taking it off. its soo ugly i want it off :barf:

it keeps the heat where it should be, and helps you from melting your radiator fan and whatever wire is down there......

no, he means the fiberglass stuff (or what ever its made of) on the underside of the hood. And, I would guess, you shouldnt take it off, because it might speed up heat discolouration of your hood's paint job, if and when your hood gets too hot.

It has nothing to do with keeping your paint from discoloring, It's a fire blanket. If in the unlikely event your motor catches on fire the plastic tabs that hold it on will melt and the pad will drop down to smother the flames. You can safely remove it with no adverse effects to your paint. Lets put it this way, lots of people run around with Carbon fiber hoods and they have a way lower melting/discoloration/deforming temperature then the paint on your hood does.

yea thanks guys i am talkin about the fiberglass stuff on the underside of the hood. i just wanted to make a post to see what everyone thinks about it so please feel free to leave your .02 on the topic. ill update on my decision wether it was to remove it or leave it :dsm: :cool:

Originally posted by DSMJim
It has nothing to do with keeping your paint from discoloring, It's a fire blanket. If in the unlikely event your motor catches on fire the plastic tabs that hold it on will melt and the pad will drop down to smother the flames.
God, NO. I don't know where this myth came from, but the insulation has NOTHING to do with fire suppression. It's just a heat insulation. Most turbocharged cars have at least a foil coating under the hood, hoping to deflect some of the heat away from the upper sheet metal.

Again, that is NOT any kind of fire blanket.

Leaving your hood closed will usually save your eyes from the sight.

Originally posted by Defiant

That line works on all levels. Funny line yet still very informative. Between that line and the Penzoil Syncromesh information, my hours on this site have been well worth it.

Originally posted by Defiant
God, NO. I don't know where this myth came from, but the insulation has NOTHING to do with fire suppression. It's just a heat insulation. Most turbocharged cars have at least a foil coating under the hood, hoping to deflect some of the heat away from the upper sheet metal.

Again, that is NOT any kind of fire blanket.

That's not totally true. The material is not made from a fire proof material which is what makes most people think that, however it will smother flames. That's not a myth and is part of the reason it is there. You are correct it is insulation to keep heat in the bay and noise from going outside, however it is also used in a fire situation. That's not a myth its reality.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back