The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

O2 eliminator [Merged 11-8] removal sensor cel disable

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~97TalonTSi~

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2002
Livonia, Michigan
This may be a newbie question, I have never really thought of doing this until now. My question is why remove the O2 sensor? Which one is removed? Are there any electrical parts to the removal? The reason I am asking is I will be getting the AGP L2R soon and Kevin recommended a 2.5" tubular o2 eliminator. So I guess I just need some info on what the benefits of removing the o2 sensor are.

Thanks

o2 eliminator refers to the o2 housing not the o2 sensor. Although, some people with 2Gs remove the second o2 sensor (compares readings to the primary o2 sensor for Catylitic conv. efficiency) when they install a test pipe. Kevin was refering to the former and not the latter in this case. The stock o2 housing is a restriction and can be ported to flow better, or you can replace it with a tubular version (o2 eliminator) to take it's place between the turbo and downpipe. Hope this helps.

Joe

Ok, I understand now. I knew that the stock was a restriction. I guess I was just confused on the terminology. Thank you for the clarification :)

Originally posted by Turbo Guru
o2 eliminator refers to the o2 housing not the o2 sensor. Although, some people with 2Gs remove the second o2 sensor (compares readings to the primary o2 sensor for Catylitic conv. efficiency) when they install a test pipe. Kevin was refering to the former and not the latter in this case. The stock o2 housing is a restriction and can be ported to flow better, or you can replace it with a tubular version (o2 eliminator) to take it's place between the turbo and downpipe. Hope this helps.

Joe

Ok, but with the o2 eliminator housing, does the o2 sensor still go into it or is the o2 sensor removed?

The o2 sensor must be maintained. The ECU is expecting that signal. All 02 housings have an O2 bung. What makes them an 'eliminator' is that the return that normally flows to the downpipe, now exits to the atmosphere.

So how come some of those housings have 2 pipes, some have one, and some have a wastegate or whatever? In that link posted above. I dont understand?!!? I am looking to get a 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, what should I get as far as o2 housing?

Here are my mods:

BCS Restrictor Removed
K&N FIPK
MBC @15 psi
30PSI Boost Guage
EGT
1g BOV -w- RRE Upper IC Pipe.

Here are questions you need to ask yourself:

1) Do you have an internal Wastegate or external?
2) Do you want the waste exhaust to route back into the downpipe or vent to the atmosphere?

Depending on how you answer those questions, the 02 housing will change shape.

Is there any kind of advantage to venting to the atmosphere? I can imagine it would be louder, is it? I'd rather it not be any louder. I noticed that 122 performance sells a 3" O2 housing for external (I still have the choice of internal/external gate)...is that worth it when the turbo outlet is 2.5"?

Originally posted by Tevenor
Here are questions you need to ask yourself:

1) Do you have an internal Wastegate or external?
2) Do you want the waste exhaust to route back into the downpipe or vent to the atmosphere?

Depending on how you answer those questions, the 02 housing will change shape.

Ok, so if I have a turbo -w- an internal wastgate, I would need the one with 2 tubes than both run together to the downpipe?

And if I got a turbo -w- an external wastegate I would need a 02 housing that vents to the atmosphere and that is where the wastegate bolts onto?

What are the pros and cons of an external vs. internal wastegate? I am looking at getting a 16g, Dont know if it will be super, big, small, killer, etc.

does anyone have the specs on the differences between the big small super and killer 16g?

Alright here it is. I fyou have an internally gated turbo (perfect for 16g) than your housing will have two runners with two options. Either you can get a o2 dump and have the second runner seperate from the housing being an external dump (into atm.). Or you can have a housin in which the runners merge, so that when the internal wastegate opens you dont sound like a tractor, and it flows right back into the exhaust. When you have an externally gated turbo, you have more options as well. Some have a housing completely open (where the internal wastegate would be is now sealed on the turbo) giving a better flow. The wastegate can really be mounted anywhere. Most will mount it on th #1 runner of the manifold or the housing itself. With this better flow (less restrction) and a larger valve/flapper the external usually provides better boost control. Hope I made a little sense.

Originally posted by candela
Alright here it is. I fyou have an internally gated turbo (perfect for 16g) than your housing will have two runners with two options. Either you can get a o2 dump and have the second runner seperate from the housing being an external dump (into atm.). Or you can have a housin in which the runners merge, so that when the internal wastegate opens you dont sound like a tractor, and it flows right back into the exhaust. When you have an externally gated turbo, you have more options as well. Some have a housing completely open (where the internal wastegate would be is now sealed on the turbo) giving a better flow. The wastegate can really be mounted anywhere. Most will mount it on th #1 runner of the manifold or the housing itself. With this better flow (less restrction) and a larger valve/flapper the external usually provides better boost control. Hope I made a little sense.

Does it really sound like a tractor? I really can think of how it would sound.

[email protected] <~~~~ he makes the o2 dump tube and there great looking i have a picture if anyone is interested in spending like a 130.00 or less compared t0 175 to 300 for a So called fancy dump tube
E-mail me for the the picture at [email protected] i dont know how to send or post a picture on here ???

get the dup assy here =0)

im puting mine on this weekend ill let you know about the sound that it makes 97talontsi LOL if it sounds like a tractor im going to piss myself ahhhhhhhhhhh LOL

there not legal anywheres LOL So dont feel to special LOL j/k
You dumping un-filtered gasses from your engine by passing your cat basically.

Later rob

first off, here's the link:http://www.thefbody.com/~95tsiawd/O2bypass.html

does anyone know of a good website that i can find the following:

1M Ohm (that's 1,000,000 Ohms) (resistor??)
1uF (micro-farad) capacitor
resistor of ~12 Ohms, it MUST dissipate at least 12 Watts of current.

i went in to radioshack and they didnt have anything like these.

thanks in advance.

Wow he just handed you all the info on a silver platter that you coulnd't find in the first place now your complaining about the sites.

Just buy the minimum orders and make a few up and give them to your buddies, you must know people with no cat on OBD2 cars...

You're not going to find a much better deal on a 12 Watt resistor. Do you have any idea how much an amp of current is? 12W is a shitload of current to absorb.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back