The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Best ECU setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I'm wondering what everyone sees as the best overall ECU setup... I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to end up doing the fuel management, and I'm stuck between these choices:

HKS VPC
TRE MAS conversion with HKS Super AFR
Haltech ECU
or just a simple Apex S-AFC piggyback setup

What are the benefits of each and which options did I leave out?
What's the best setup for the money?

Personally I'd go with the VPC & GCC by HKS. But it all depends on how streetable you want it. I have run this setup on the street w/ no problems. You can dip below the 10's w/ it & its (just for the VPC& GCC) about $1600. For budget go with the S-AFC but I've heard people still have fuel cut. W/ the VPC hook up my fuel cut went away but I know people who still had it. Give a call to Buschur Racing.

Get a S-AFC first. You can use it with VPC also if you are going that route. Standalone just complicate things. Unless you are running in the 10s, I would stick with piggy back. VPC is used in the 7s Buschur car, it definitely works.

AEM has their new stand alone and I think I have seen another. I like the idea of stand alone but to be honest I don't want to have a lap top in my car to see what's going on. The good thing about afc and avc is that it is there and visible all the time(unless you mount it in the weirdest location.

I'm 100% in favor of the VPC&GCC/S-AFC combo. I'm saving right now for a VPC :) . Gotta get the HG replaced and get cams first though! Send donations to.....:D

LOL, I think if you want to get a cheap upgrade then find yourself a 95-99 turbo ecu. A few less limitations then the 97+. It might be cheaper to get a chip then a whole ecu though.

I'd say the Greddy E-manage. This unit is Horribly underrated. It controlls Fuel& timing if you buy the option. Run it off a laptop and its a "mini-haltech". Still a piggy back, but a universal type that reads signals going in the ecu, and changes them on the output side. Also has anti-stall function for venters of atmosphereic blow off valves.
only $440 bucks.
Check it out.

problem with the Greddy E-manage though is that most of the options can not be accessed unless you are an authorized Greddy dealer.. so you cant change your own stuff

Nevermind you have a 1G I'm an idiot. I suggest VPC-AFC Combo.

Later,

The only way you can make this decision is to first decide how involved you want to be in tuning your car. If you want minimal involvment I would say go VPC, alittle more involvment = VPC/AFCorGCC combo or a just an AFC. Lots of involvment go standalone. I really dont care for the PMS all that much. The only way I would recommend using a PMS would be if you can get a good deal on a used one. If you plan on using a piggyback system keep in mind that the TMO mods are a necessity to make serious power. So if you dont already have one add that to the total price.

I have a HAltech e6k on my car and like it alot but would rather have the AEM system now that its out. It has alot of functionality that the haltech is lacking.

I thought you sold your car trance? Now your going to keep it and mod it more, LOL... I think its a good idea anyway, I think you have the nicest 1g Ive seen!!!!!

PMS just simply does not work that well. I had so many problems with that setup. If someone gave it to me free I'd just sell it.

I like the 2G mas/SAFC combo. I've used it on a few cars now and it works very well for me. If I were to spend more I'd just get a stand alone. I like the AEM ems over the haltech. Much more options and of course knock feedback is nice too. With the E6K you pretty much have to buy a J&S system to retard timing.

Just a little note here. Anyone can fully adjust the Greddy E-man. You just buy the cable and softwear for $120. (cheaper clones and copies comming soon) The E-man / VPC combo might turn out pretty nice. The E-man is just so new, not many people have it yet.

Kevin
www.agpturbo.com

The TRE MAS was the single greatest thing to come out for tunning. Unfortunatly they stoped making it. So if you know someone who has one beg them to sell it to you. My friend wants to charge me $800 to take it off his car if that tells you anything.

TRE MAS - too expensive, not proven, no possitive feedback
AFR - not proven, no possitive feedback, no low/high throttle

VPC/GCC - expensive, can't be bought new anymore, proven, plenty of possitive feedback on performance, some negative feedback on streetability

AFC/1G hacked MAS - super cheap, proven, plenty of possitive feedback on performance, some negative feedback on drivability

AFC/2G MAS - somewhat cheap, somewhat proven, plenty of possitive feedback on performance, drivability and streetability.

TRE MAS - too expensive, not proven, no possitive feedback

It has been proven. Raised torque and decreased HP LOL

just a question, is there anything else out there that will work like the VPC (letting me remove the stock mas) im seriously looking at the greddy/trust Emanage setup

My friend hooked up with this guy who had some DSM stuff for sale. He had a NEW! in the box, never touched Apexi Digital Super-AFC that he sold to me for $100 dollars. I still havent installed it though. One of these days.

Originally posted by xleRateGSX
AEM has their new stand alone and I think I have seen another. I like the idea of stand alone but to be honest I don't want to have a lap top in my car to see what's going on. The good thing about afc and avc is that it is there and visible all the time(unless you mount it in the weirdest location.

Anyone know how much the AEM system for a 1g would cost. I couldn't fine any prices on their site.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back