The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

electric oil pressure gauge install [Merged 7-7] installation hookup wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z32

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2005
Chicopee, Massachusetts
I got an Autometer short sweep electric oil pressure gauge that I'm installing in my car right now. I have all the wires inside my car but i don't know where to connect them to, can anyone please help?

Well I have my boost and oil pressure gauge hooked up and all ready......but the damn nylon hose keeps sliding out of the gauge? I have the ferrule, and the sealing nut but the hose keeps sliding out of the hole in the sealing nut. Don't ever recall having this problem when i hooked up an oil pres. gauge on my galant. I don't wana start my car cause I know the line will pop out and leak oil all in my dash :notgood: So any help is appreciated.

Thanks
-steve

Go to jegs.com and buy the autometer gauge copper line kit. It will work better for you and should elminate any hose slippage.

Makes sure that the lock pointing the right direction small side toward the guage. Then push the nylon line in while you tighten the nut it should collapse on the line. You should be able to pull on the line and it not move. Hope that helps.

I bought an autometer oil pressure gauge, but the threads that are on the sending unit that came with the gauge are not the same as the ones on my old sending unit. It came with some different size adapters, Can I take out one of the set screws anywhere on my oil filter housing and try installing it with the adapter?

Go to a local Auto parts store and buy the pipe fitting to adapt to the right threads. Are you taking the stock sender out completely? Most people just "T" off of it and have both hooked up.:thumb:

You could doit like I did and force the sender to screw in. It worked just fine and I dint have to buy anyother fittings.

:rolleyes:
Flybiyou said:
You could doit like I did and force the sender to screw in. It worked just fine and I dint have to buy anyother fittings.

Rather than mess up your housing, buy a 2 dollar part.

I have the same gauge and I also put a T in where the stock sending unit goes. I got the T from a diferent DSM friend though, so i couldnt exactly tell you where i got it from.

I don't mean to ruin this thread, but on the topic of oil pressure gauges; I bought a mechanical gauge off a local and I'm wondering were the best place to tap into a pressure passageway is. I'm thinking about just removing the original sending unit (since it seems to be leaking anyway) and just buying a fitting to screw into that to run to the gauge.

turbo90gsx said:
I don't mean to ruin this thread, but on the topic of oil pressure gauges; I bought a mechanical gauge off a local and I'm wondering were the best place to tap into a pressure passageway is. I'm thinking about just removing the original sending unit (since it seems to be leaking anyway) and just buying a fitting to screw into that to run to the gauge.

Thats fine, just understand that you are running a high pressure, high heat, oil into the car, so take the necessary precautions (ie. the proper fittings with stainless line). Now I'm not sure of your oil filter housing, water cooled or air cooled, but when I switched to the air cooled filter housing, the tap used for my pressure guage required an odd fitting. If memory serves me correct, I believe it was 28 British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT). Be sure you get the correct fitting, anything else and it WILL leak. Also make sure you PROPERLY install the stainless line and fitting to the guage.

kottyking said:
Hopefully nobody is installing a mechanical oil pressure guage in their car.

Do we really need to start that argument....again.

kottyking said:
Hopefully nobody is installing a mechanical oil pressure guage in their car.

Properly done, there is nothing wrong with this. With the exception of larger turbine planes, most airplanes flying have "real" mechanical gauges into the cockpit. But, they don't use that little 1/8" nylon tubing either. Using the right stuff, there is nothing wrong with mechanical gauges in the cockpit.

Just can't imagine having 200 degree oil spraying all over the inside of my car. Sh it happens, better to be safe then sorry.

Exactly, better safe than sorry. And electronics go out all the time.
I'd rather have 200° oil spray on my leg because my *copper* tubing split than to have my car seize due to lack of oil and a electronic oil pressure gauge on the fritz.

Heres some news to...Autometer makes a braided kit for the oil pressure guage. Its like 50 dollars or so...but 70+50 = 120...still ALOT less than the electronic guage and for some will give ya peace of mind. :thumb:

Where in my engine do I tap for the OIL PRESSURE gauge from autometer? - Where do I get my reading from?
Also, where is the power fuse behind the gauge cluster that I use to power my gauges lights- located at?
All guages are the Sport-Comp Autometer mechanical gauges.

exiletalon said:
Where in my engine do I tap for the OIL PRESSURE gauge from autometer? - Where do I get my reading from? Also, where is the power fuse behind the gauge cluster that I use to power my gauges lights- located at? All guages are the Sport-Comp Autometer mechanical gauges.

You tap the OP gauge at the oil filter housing. Theres two hex screws, you remove one of those and thread your line into there. Im not sure what you mean by where you get your reading from, but its from your...........well...............oil? Umm, and I dont know what power source you used to tap your other gauges into, I myself used the 12v outlet for power to my gauges, easiest to get to. Hope that helps.:talon:

YESSSS, finally a wiseman who backs a mechanical OP gauge, well at least the first Ive seen, I trust actual oil pressure provided by a mechanical rather than an electrical one, which you never REALLY know if its working properly, unless you test the OP.

exiletalon said:
Where is this (12v) located, is it easy to get to and use??

Are you using an after market radio? If so jus tap all of your hot wires into the orange wire coming out of the radio harness. That is how I have mine done, and it works just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back