The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Synthetic Oil [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenMime249

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2002
Henrdon, Northern_VA
All synthetic oil threads are merged here.i'm trying to buy a 1g dsm turbo awd (as i'm sure most of you know by now from my recent ramblings in other threads). Most of the ones i've been looking at are bone stock for the most part except repairs and i have a feeling all are running on regular oil.

my question is when i finally buy one should i run regular, full sythetic, or somwhere in between (i am planning on running full synthetic).

also, if the car is running regular and i want to switch to full synthetic, i've heard it can be damaging to switch all at once. or is that just a fable? it makes sense and i was planning on slowly uprading the oil quality everytime i changed it until it was running full synthetic. is that the wrong thing to do?

I am planning on going with either Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic or Castrol Syntec... haven't made up my mind yet.

I've heard about people that switched and the oil started leaking out. Something about natural oil built up a seal and synthetic ate it away. Not exactly sure about this so someone correct me or fill in details.

depends on the mileage, the oil change intervals, how the car was driven etc. but it boils down to this. If your dinosour oil car gets any sludge build up near the seals etc, it will come off with the synthetic, and then the seal could leak. The crud was helping seal the part and as the seal gets old and brittle, it relys on the crud to help it keep the oil in.

I haven't been part of the DSM community long enough to say for sure, but I think that a high boos turbo engine will not leak too much, except for the valve cover(crappy thing) but I may be wrong. The seals I did(cam and front main) when I did the timing belts were bad but not too horrible, and not yet leaking and my car has 212, 000 km on it.

once it starts to leak, going back to regular oil will not stop the leak either, just so ya know...

but synthetic oil is Oh SO much better for our engines, what with the high heat, the turbo charger and the friggin enemic little lifter passages.

hope I could help make your decision more informed

Hi. Im not totally sure what oil to put in my car. I have some Valvoline 10W40 Synthetic Blend at my house. Would that work ok for my 98 GS-T? Id like to put a good oil in my car.

Thanks!

SG

I recently changed my oil and put 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic.my oil gauge seems to read very low but the when i check the oil,it's fine.Is this normal,has any one else experienced this?Thanks:dsm:

i've been putting mobil 1 synthetic 10W-30 in my n/t for as long as ive had it (1 1/2 yr.) and i haven't seen anything wrong. but then i don't have any gauge telling me about my oil, plus i had a problem with burning oil before, but don't worry about that, LOL, it's probably just something else ;)

Hi there, i asked some of you guys how often you have to add oil to the car (4g63t). Some of you told me couple of weeks, some said while adding gas. Now since thats a lot of fresh oil you add to your engine in between oil changes, would it still matter if i used synthetic or not? using mobile 1 at 5 bucks a qt quickly adds up. would it matter if i used regular 10w 30 (1.99 qt valvoline) since i add oil every few weeks anyway?

thanks

I think it would be all on how much money you want to spend. The cheap oil will work, but mobil 1 might work better, keep friction down, but if you are adding oil every few weeks, then it would add up!

When you lose oil, you're mostly losing the good part. Contaminants, suspended shrapnel, scraped-off bits and dead, broken molecules of former oil remain behind. Which isn't anything to panic over, it's one of the many miraculous things oil is formulated to do. Even the "worst" of modern oils do a remarkable job of it, while the most expensive, exotic and purple of them do it that much better.
It's going to be your call, dependant on how much oil you're going through- just in oil savings, you may be ahead of the game to at least install fresh valve stem seals. If you're getting 1,000 miles to a quart, just feed it and do changes when you see it change color.

I have never added any oil to my car. I put in Royal Purple 10W30 in March and the dipstick has been on the full mark for the last four months and I drive the car hard. I assume that you all must have high mileage engines to have all of this oil consumption.

Originally posted by heavyD
I have never added any oil to my car. I put in Royal Purple 10W30 in March and the dipstick has been on the full mark for the last four months and I drive the car hard. I assume that you all must have high mileage engines to have all of this oil consumption.

*cough* 3months or 3,000 miles *cough*:D

How good is synthetic oil for our engines? i have heard it can ruin seals is that correct? i am thinking of mobil 1 10-30 but just want some opinions. i know it works good in the tranny, i got mobil 1 syn atf and it shifts like a dream.

Originally posted by Defiant
"Engine oil For turbo Change every 6 months or every 5,000 miles" "Engine oil filter For turbo Replace every year or Every 10,000 miles" -Owner's Manual

*cough* "Engine oil For turbo Change every 3 months or every 3,000 miles" "Engine oil filter For turbo Replace every 6 months or every 6,000 miles" -Owner's Manual *cough*

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back