The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Flywheel cover inspection plate [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civic619

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2003
San_Diego_CALI
Hey guys, would someone here know what size bolt would i need to install the flywheel inspection cover on a 2g GST???

If you are not familiar with this part, its the cover that goes on the tranny where the tranny and block meet. Without the cover, the flywheel is exposed.

Thanks for you help and info!!!

also, is it true that DSM trannys are weak???

The guy who did my 6-bolt swap left the lower flywheel cover off. I called him and he siad it dosent fit and that its ok to leave it off. Has anyone heard of this?

It wasn't put on there by the factory for ballast. That space isn't one you want puddle splash, gravel, dirt, insects, voles nor kittens infesting. No need to panic, but look to find a replacement..... and consider what else you're told "isn't needed."

If I make one what would I use to make it ( material wise) would sheet metel work cause I can get that from my job site im on. just cut it to fit and drill holes for the bolts.

I was changing my tranny and transfer case fluid. I look over and think "odd, I can see my flywheel". Checking on CAPS, is MD191171 the part I'm looking for? And am I going to have to get this from chrysler/mitsu?

Yea, either Mistu or a junkyard. Bring in the part number and make sure they print off the exploded view of the transmission so that you can make sure it is the right part. I've had the CAPS program be a little off with some of their numbers. Maybe the Mitsu dealer around here is a little off...either way, its always good to double check.

I can just imagine how much they'll want for that little piece of tin. Oh well, cheaper I suppose than having a rock make it's way into the flywheel.

The Previous owner removed the flywheel cover at the bottom of the tranny by the front diff. It seems that the flywheel was rubbing against it so he removed it and "Problem solved" supposedly.
Anyway, this is a two part question:
1. What would cause it to rub agianst the cover like that?
2. What are some of the negative side affects of running with it open like this? I asked a reputable person on this forum (Not naming names) and they said "Aw its fine! Most of the cars here run without them to keep the flywheel cooler" <-- His words, not mine.

Now I drive this car everyday. And during the winter theres gonna be Ice, salt, snow, sand and small pebbles from potholes forming all over the city. I pretty sure these things will wind up in there somehow. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I thought you were BS'ing about the bell housing cover, but then I checked my handy-dandy Chilton's and I'll be damn'd, they do have bell housing covers that are supposed to go on the bottom of the transmission. I don't remember ever seeing that thing on my car and I haven't had a problem yet with anything getting caught up inside of there.

You're probably fine. If anything, the previous owner probably ran over something that bent that cover and made it rub against the flywheel, but if you are worried about debris or such getting trapped inside the bellhousing, pony up the pennies for a replacement from the dealer. Chilton's has it identified as a Bell Housing Cover.

Thank you for the reply. Its hard to believe that the cover was bent though. It looked pretty normal to me yet the flywheel still seemed to be rubbing against it. I might also add that the flywheel was rubbing against the Diff! Strange?

Edit: I just installed a new/used tranny and new ACT 2100 and they both only have about 8 miles on them. I installed them when I firt purchased the car and the flywheel still rubs. When I resurfaced the flywheel it didn't have any signs of damage from the flywheel. The Rubbing of the T-case has sheared about .25 of an inch off the T-case but there are no signs of leaks.

I'm assuming you're talking about the flywheel inspection cover? A litle metal piece that covers the lower half of your flywheel? I don't know how others think around here but in my opinion I would want it there just in case in some freak accident something managed to get thrown up there or sticks up high enough to get caught in the flywheel (I know highly unlikely but I don't like taking chances). So if you can find one to replace it with do it. If you're not to worried you don't take to many gravel roads and or two tracks, you should be ok without it.

SBstar said:
I'm assuming you're talking about the flywheel inspection cover? A litle metal piece that covers the lower half of your flywheel? I don't know how others think around here but in my opinion I would want it there just in case in some freak accident something managed to get thrown up there or sticks up high enough to get caught in the flywheel (I know highly unlikely but I don't like taking chances). So if you can find one to replace it with do it. If you're not to worried you don't take to many gravel roads and or two tracks, you should be ok without it.

Well, my dilema right now is that I want to put the plate back on, but the flywheel seems to be really close to the edge of the transmission, so much so that it touches the T-case. So putting it back in this current state will only ensure that it will rub against the cover. What could be the cause of the flywheel sitting so close?

i had the same problem one day it started making an awful noise and it sounded like there was metal dragging the ground but i found out that it was the inspection cover one of the bolts had come loose i dont know how it started rubbing while it was loose but i just took it off but i hear ya on wanting to put it on during the winter

Hey guys
I recently purchased myself a 95 TSI AWD. The car has only 75k on the body and 30K on a 6-bolt (was previously victom of crankwalk).

There is currently no flywheel inspection cover on it, but i'm not sure which one I should be looking for? Do I want one for my 6bolt block or my 2G tranny? Is the FWD/AWD cover the same?
Does anyone have the one that I need? :)

Thanks!

I just put a new TRE AWD transmission converted for use on a FWD on my 99GST and my flywheel inspection cover does not entirely enclose the bottom of the bellhousing. Where an AWD transfer case would normally bolt up is now an opening where I can reach up and grab my flywheel. Will this be a serious problem if I drive around with a hole that debris and random crap can get into the bellhousing? Should I not drive the car?

I now have plans to try and fab something to cover this up, but in the meantime should I park the car? I'm currently not driving it, but there may about a 5 - 7 day period where i'll have to as it will be my only car until I'll have time to correct it. Should I try and find something else to drive?

I wouldn't drive it, do you really want to risk your brand new transmission? Call TRE and ask them what they think.

shouldnt be too big of a problem as long as you arent driving or parking in the grass or anything.

ive been driving my 91 awd for awhile without any cover (knock on wood). it didnt have one when i bought it and neither did the parts car.

I'm what you might call "paranoid." I've done so much maintenance to my car, I haven't been able to mod it yet...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back