The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Will this Differential Fit my car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agarcia892003

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Hey guys I have a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse gsx with an LSD Differential. I have some problems with my rear wheels locking when doing sharp turns. I was doing some re-search and it seems that my rear diff is going bad. I got this one form a 1999 GSX with an Auto tranny. Will it fit my Car?? thanks for the Replies.

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 126
IF they are locking while turning i would suspect that your center diff i the transmission has broken spider gears.

Auto diffs will not work with a manual trans car. They have different gear ratios. If ## center differential is welded it would cause the car to buck when making a sharp turn. If it had shattered spider gears the car would not move

If u get the front in the air and a buddy you shouod be able to rotate the front wheels the same direction. It should be a lill difficult but u should be able to turn them

thanks guys. Do I have to take the tranny down to see if it has a welded center diff? would i be able to see if i just take the Transfercase off??

You would have to pull the end case and bearing plate and check the differential out. It could be a welded diff, or it could just be diff with broken spider gears. They will bind up if the spider gears are broken. .

If u get the front in the air and a buddy you shouod be able to rotate the front wheels the same direction. It should be a lill difficult but u should be able to turn them

So this would tell me if it's a welded diff or not?? if it they turn the same way is it a welded one or not?? Sorry for all the stupid questions guys. This is the first time I had this issue with a GSX.

If ## able to turb them both the same way you dont have a welded diff or a broken one at that

Hey don't mean to thread jack, just a quick question regarding auto vs manual differentials. Does anyone know if non lsd manual ring and pinon gears can be swapped into an auto lsd of the same year? To make the auto lsd into a manual lsd concerning gear ratios, in other words.
Thanks

So i jacked the front of the car and We were not able to turn both front wheels in the same direction. What now??:confused:

Good.

Now lift one rear and verify that, when the car is out-of-gear, you can turn it. If it won't, then either your rear or center is locked. (Or you forgot to turn the e-brake off, tee hee.)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back