The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

what is the best way to get 400hp 6bolt motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuytalon

Probationary Member
May 12, 2010
mankato, Minnesota
i have a 2g eagle talon awd going to drop a 6 bolt and wondering what is the best way to get 400h plus hp please help out LOL

Do alot of research. To make 400 hp you need to take care of the engine. You can just drop in a junkyard 6 bolt but how long will it last. You need a turbo big enough to flow at least 42ish lbs/min and fuel to keep up with the turbo. You need the gauges and tuning required to keep the car reliable. It is hard to go from stock straight to 400hp without a ton of money. In the tech section there is a pretty good mod path to take. If you look at my mods list you will see how big it gets to even hit that amount of horsepower.

up to date maintenance
hx35 with a bolt on housing
dsmlink v3 or ceddymod v1
sufficient fuel setup
intercooler and exhaust.

pretty much sums up all the big stuff.

now if you want it to stay together for any decent length of time then that's a whole other story.

upgraded transmission rebuild
pistons and rods
head studs and a metal headgasket
money
making the best of getting stuck on the side of the road after you messed up.
patience
more things i can't think of

Lots of money and research. You can make 400hp on a stock 6 bolt you just need a real conservative tune.

evo3 16g with a nice head and e85!!!

this is my route.. with ALOT of supporting upgrades, but this is the way I plan to get there!

First start off with a 6 bolt swap that I did out of necessity. I blew the stock 7 bolt apart (BOOM!)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And some other mods..
E85,, upgraded springs/lifters/cams, necessary fuel mods, 255, AFPR (coming soon), 1000CC+(coming soon), e316g of coarse!, FMIC, etc. Theres more, i just forget! LOL.

CUrrently running 18 pounds without the injectors and AFPR, as soon as I get those I will be swapping my ostrich tune to an e85 map and cranking the boost up!

wait so your running a e16g at 18psi with no upgraded fuel injectors no AFPR? do you have any way to tune it? Or are you monitoring knock because i would bet you are days away from blowing your motor your knocking so much at 18psi on stock injectors.

this is my route.. with ALOT of supporting upgrades, but this is the way I plan to get there!

First start off with a 6 bolt swap that I did out of necessity. I blew the stock 7 bolt apart (BOOM!)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And some other mods..
E85,, upgraded springs/lifters/cams, necessary fuel mods, 255, AFPR (coming soon), 1000CC+(coming soon), e316g of coarse!, FMIC, etc. Theres more, i just forget! LOL.

CUrrently running 18 pounds without the injectors and AFPR, as soon as I get those I will be swapping my ostrich tune to an e85 map and cranking the boost up!

You already have everything you need. It's hard to screw up an engine on E85 with a 16g. I've seen people be in the 400whp range with an afc, for whatever that's worth to you.

Im running Ostrich. Very good tune. I have a wideband monitoring very closely how Im running. 10.6 is the leanest Ive seen it run since I got it set up. The tune is very conservative to maintain the motor.

Its actually more like 15psi, i just get 18 spikes in 3rd and 4th gear for alittle bit.

and I blew the 7 bolt up on the same setup running 28 psi (which actually never ran lean, just blew it up under too much power)

If you are going to do all that new springs/lifters/cams... You should think about doind some port and polish work to the head.:hmm: If it was me I would start fromt the bottom up. MANLEY PISTONS WITH THE HUGE MANLEY RODS.. Can handle any amount of boost you want to throw at it.:thumb:

If you are going to do all that new springs/lifters/cams... You should think about doind some port and polish work to the head.:hmm: If it was me I would start fromt the bottom up. MANLEY PISTONS WITH THE HUGE MANLEY RODS.. Can handle any amount of boost you want to throw at it.:thumb:

yah but then you may as well step up to hx40, run 30 psi and shoot for 600hp!

go through a junk yard 6 bolt every couple years, save your money!

^^ YEAH TRUE^^ THAT WAS MY GOAL.. :shhh:
BUT IF YOU KEEP GOING TO THE JUNK YARD TO GET MOTORS EVERY 2 YEARS..
I JUST WOULD RATHER DO IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME.. WHEN YOU GO TO THE JUNK YARD....... YOU GET JUNK.... ATLEAST I DO..LOL

i should rephrase.. by junk yard I just mean a running stock 6 bolt that are sitting lonely in random garages throughout the US.

When i blew my 7 bolt, I found a 6 bolt on craigslist less than 8 hours after the 7 bolt blew, and I had the new motor in the car running only 3 days after blowing up the 7 bolt. Total $$$ Invenstment was <400 bucks. Came as a long block, with 2600PP, clutch disk, transfer case, and a bunch of other little mounts and what not!

I do plan on building a 800hp + motor, but until I can afford the serious parts with the good machine work, Im gonna play with my 6 bolts :) hehe

Gotta love DSMs, you can haul ass for pretty cheap

oh and alittle advise for the OP, by using the 7 bolt head it makes it super easy getting everything back together. REAL EASY. Only stuff that changes is the CAS, which I switched to a black top CAS, and wired it in with instructions from Magnus, super easy

THAT IS A GREAT DEAL FOR 400 TO GET THE MOTOR AND CLUTCH DID YOU GET THE TRANS TOO??? THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A STEAL.. I WOULDN'T FIND A MOTOR AROUND HERE FOR LESS THAN 800??:ohdamn:

Lots of money...? You dont have to spend a lot of money. My 4k budget it will make 500+hp.(Thats including the price of the car). Its all about what you know. I just seen a thread yesterday on evolutionm, and they put on a pair of lighter rotors than factory and made 7whp. Now that isnt much but the further from the hub the more power you will see. A nice pair of light weight wheels and tires and you might see 30hp. You can turn a low 300hp car into a 400 just be reducing drivetrain lose.

hubz, for sure man, i know how a budget works, and 4k is all I plan on using for my 800hp build. granted im going to be working on top of my existing mods.

But 4k is something I dont have right now, I also have a new car as a DD, this is just my hobby, and Im a broke 25 year old dude, turning my own wrenches as a hobby!

The motor was a steal, and those deals are not super easy to find, but they are out there. Just need to do some digging, alittle begging even! el oh el

oh and no trans

I paid $850 for my 6bolt 92 talon that i daily drive. =P Thats the car that will be going under the knife once i find some 1200cc injectors for cheap. I forgot to mention that e85 is a great way to pick of some power.

i have a 2g eagle talon awd going to drop a 6 bolt and wondering what is the best way to get 400h plus hp please help out LOL
Simple....leave it stock aside from cams, a good head gasket, and ARP studs. Bolt a Holset HX35 to the exhaust manfold, run 28-30psi of boost, and make sure your tune is spot-on.

Simple....leave it stock aside from cams, a good head gasket, and ARP studs. Bolt a Holset HX35 to the exhaust manfold, run 28-30psi of boost, and make sure your tune is spot-on.

well you need fuel mods for that, no?

and on the note of a good headgasket, Ive been using a felpro composite and I love it! Squeezes down nice and tight, but only good for one tighten. Crack that head for any reason and plan on replacing the gasket ;)

so then you need a AFPR as well....

so its not just that easy, you have atleast 500 or 600 bucks in fuel upgrades!!

It sounds easy to just throw some parts on and go FAST, but it really does take alot.

and then you have to worry about stopping! I already upgraded the rotors to slotted rotors, EBC pads, and SS lines.

Not a fan of sketchy fading brakes when I accidentally accelerate to 100mph.. it just happens so fast!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back