The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

14b approaching 20 + psi, good afr's :-)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff24680

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2008
Allen Park, Michigan
Hey all,

Just would like to say thanks for all the great info here.

This post is here to share my experience on what I have done and what my methodology consists of, it is open for criticism and comments.

Just want to say that my mod list is current and right now I am currently boosting 20psi with AFR at WOT no higher then 11.5 to redline, I am on the stock fuel pump and injectors. The fuel pump is re-wired according to this write up http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/313914-2g-fuel-pump-rewire-pictorial-diagram.html after some logging of 3rd I am receiving around 1-2 counts of knock around 5000rpm, I also notice my temperatures are hovering around 210.

So to remedy this situation I have purchased the following and plan to do the work this weekend

• BPRES7
  • 2 Bottles Watter Wetter (currently running full 50/50 mix :/)
  • 2 12" Mishimoto Slim fans(Going to wire so when Rad fan comes on so does AC fan)
  • Sparco Rad hoses
  • DEI Exhaust Wrap(threw out my heat shields after replacing tranny and all other parts, DOH! :banghead: )
  • DEI Silicone High Temp Spray
  • 170* Thermostat
  • All new silicone vacuum hose 20 ft of 3 different sizes(can never have enough hose)
  • I am running Castrol Syntec 0w 30 Imported from germany
  • Using the seafoam treatment
  • 3 4ga Grounding wires to replace old wires and add 1 or 2 extra going to follow http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/75889-homemade-4-gauge-grounding-wire-kit.html

With this I hope to accomplish:
  • Temps never higher than 200 unless pushed really hard
  • Knock elimination
  • Reliability
  • Idle
  • Throttle Response
  • Better electrical regulation

Opinions and ideas are welcomed, If you didn't read my profile I am using 94 Octane daily as it is available readily in my area.

I have logged my IDC and yes it is close to 100% I am aware but this turbo and injectors only have to last till March.

Tuning and Logging is done using EcuFlash (Using Extended maps, modified to my liking) and EvoScan 2.6, I currently have a BL at my HKS flange on my IC piping so I have also ordered a new ring seal and hope to remedy that along with some RTV for good measure.

Attachments

• ign map.jpg
    ign map.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 688
  • FLMAP.jpg
    FLMAP.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
This is my 2 cents....

FORGET the water wetter. I ran hotter using it than just a regular 50/50 mix.

GO with the lower thermostat. I notice big differences when I replaced mine.

GO with a rewiring of the fans, you don't need new ones. I ran a jumper wire in the fuse box so now both fans come on.

The rest of your stuff you listed is more personal preference, not a big deal either way I don't think.

This is my 2 cents....

GO with the lower thermostat. I notice big differences when I replaced mine.

GO with a rewiring of the fans, you don't need new ones. I ran a jumper wire in the fuse box so now both fans come on.

The rest of your stuff you listed is more personal preference, not a big deal either way I don't think.

How did you use the water wetter? I.E. what was your mix. I have read many threads praising it for helping out even if only slightly. I am planning on 30% Anti Freeze and the rest water and Water Wetter

170* Thermo I believe is 10* lower than stock not 100% sure.

As for Exhaust wrap and spray I don't believe that is personal preference but then again it is to some extent that I am choosing it. It has been proven though that by removing your heat shields temperatures will rise. I don't need added heat, and the exhaust wrap gives it an added touch

But yes hoses and stuff are preference.

I wanted the new fans anyways to give some more room in the bay and a somewhat cleaner look.

Thanks DSM4me44 for the comments.

I see you are from Canada. Gets pretty cold up there in the winter. Is 30% antifreeze going to give you enough protection?

Yah right next to Detroit, From what I read unless your living in negative temperatures for 1-2 months plus 30% should be more than enough. We do go into the negatives but never below -10F or -15F. However I will do more research on that.

This is my 2 cents....

Did you use 50/50 or mix it yourself Give us a bit more info

I've heard alot of people that used just distilled water NOT tap with water wetter for cars that don't see the Cold and seen a big difference

What load are you hitting? I'm curious if you could post some airflow estimates from evoscan.

Have you tested your AFR through 4th gear? You end up flowing quite a bit more air in higher gears than lower gears.

I will not be able to get a log until after I install these parts, probably by monday night but I will definitely get a 3rd and 4th pull. I believe(don't quote me) Air flow was hitting 1650 Hz or 200 load at 4800-5500 RPM. I have not been able to go above 200 load for some reason, either it isn't logging right or --> I have not been able to locate the coding for it in the Rom. I believe Ceddy has located it but I have not been able to change it yet.

However I will post the last log I did where I noticed the knock count.

Edit** I just noticed you said AFR not air flow. I will post back with results Monday for everything

Did you use 50/50 or mix it yourself Give us a bit more info

I've heard alot of people that used just distilled water NOT tap with water wetter for cars that don't see the Cold and seen a big difference

I added a bottle or 2 of water wetter mixed with water. I didn't mix it with antifreeze, which could result with a difference in performance of the wetter itself. I found the combination I used didn't work so well.

I am running 20psi as well on my 14 and do not have heat issues. The 170 thermostat is a great thing like i mentioned before, that made a huge difference for me. I am not running heat shields of any sort. Both fans are hooked up thou to run when the first kicks on.

I wouldn't go near 11.5:1 on pump even without or little knock. 10.8:1 is where I stick around. That creates a lot of heat and as we know heat = failure. Might run great now but just saying.

I will not be able to get a log until after I install these parts, probably by monday night but I will definitely get a 3rd and 4th pull. I believe(don't quote me) Air flow was hitting 1650 Hz or 200 load at 4800-5500 RPM. I have not been able to go above 200 load for some reason, either it isn't logging right or --> I have not been able to locate the coding for it in the Rom. I believe Ceddy has located it but I have not been able to change it yet.

However I will post the last log I did where I noticed the knock count.

Edit** I just noticed you said AFR not air flow. I will post back with results Monday for everything

AirFlow_Hz max out at ~1600 Hz
ECULoad max out at 160

I have a edited EvoScan file I will be releasing with my next CeddyMods.
It has the 2Byte Load, AirFlow_Hz, RPM, and AirFlow_Calcs(log g/sec or lb/min)
This allows logging of any value. I also removed useless items and added a lot of new items to log.

If you wish to log 2Byte Load, you need to edit the MUT table in EcuFlash:
MUT00, change to F2A4. ( Hit = then enter 0xF2A4 )
MUT01, change to F2A5.

Be careful with you Injector Duty Cycle if you are near 100%.
Colder weather allows a lot more air to be ingested at the same boost level.
100% Duty on a Fall day, could easily be 130% Duty on a cold Winter day.

Ok Ceddy Here is the MUT table I know the first two values along the Y Axis are MUT00 and MUT01

However, they also have 15 values on the X axis so which one do I change to F2A4 and F2A5

I would think the stock fan would move more air than a slim fan. 0w30 oil sounds kind of thin if you're really beating on your car.

It is getting colder here so 0W 30 is perfect for the season :)

Attachments

• muttable.bmp
    395.7 KB · Views: 311
**Update**

Hey guys manged to get everything installed by Monday and what can I say, great stuff! My temps will not go above 200 at idle now, have not got a chance to do 3rd and 4th gear logs yet as Area is limited around my house for a location to do that, Will try and get one before weekend. My idle AFRs are still around 16 I cannot figure those out and Vacuum at 750 idle is 17 in/hg. Will report back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back