The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How to properly break in a turbo? [Merged 5-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onegee

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2002
., Asia
so just wondering, what is the PROPER way to break in a new turbo? i'm buying a used turbo from a 3g guy w/ 1k miles on it and want to know if he properly broke it in or not...and if he didn't what would be some of the problems? ### reply with any insight and information..i'd really appreciate it..thanks

From all the threads I've ever read on this subject, the consensus seems to be that there's no break-in period required. Only when first installed, crank the car without starting it for 5-10 seconds to allow oil to get into it. And some don't even believe it's that important. IMO, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

if you crank it w/o starting do short bursts with time in between. you don't want to burn out the starter do you? =)

You won't burn out the starter from running it for 10-15 seconds. How do you think people do compression tests? :)

5 minutes after installing my Green I was hitting 20psi out on the streets. Though the problem with that was it was raining, and the rear of the car didn't like staying put when all 4 wheels were spinning at the top of third gear :D

I drove mine around for 300 miles for break in... got that all in one day.... by that night I was boosting the 16G

Originally posted by DSM91
You won't burn out the starter from running it for 10-15 seconds. How do you think people do compression tests? :)

just a precaution. btw. i cranked mine for less than 15 and the magnetic switch burned out that night. most manuals i've seen (don't know if the factory one does as well) say to run the starter for less than 15 consecutively.

All you need to do is spin the engine over with the crank sensor off so the engine won't fire, but just do it long enough to get the oil gauge to move. Once it moves pllug the crank sensor in then run the engine. Basically, get some temps in it and check for leaks. Beyond that take it out and spool it carefully to see where the controller is set. After that have fun.

I don't think there really is a break-in period for a new turbo. From what I heard most turbo's are tested/heated from the factory and that's why the don't need to be broken in. I don't know if that is true though.

Before i get my new star performance stg II turbo kit, im trying to gather facts about everything. Anyone know how to properly break in the turbo system before you can unleash h3ll on the world? OMG

Same as always, about 3k with regular oil or however long you go with synthetic.

ive heard of people changing their oil right after a 30 min warm up just to be sure to rid an possible metal shavings or whatever. and then again at 500. do you think that is a little excessive?

how many miles do you need to break in a turbo or do you need to break in a turbo?

someone today was telling me i could go from putting the turbo on to the dyno tune but i thought you had to break it in. who's correct?

There's not really anything in there to break in, as nothing touches. I'm with you, though, I'd just feel better to have taken it out for a few hundred miles before going straight to a dyno.

Crank over without starting for 30seconds to build oil pressure. Voila your broken in. Turn up boost to 24psi and hit the dyno. You don't need to break anything in, pre-oiling the turbo is plenty.

Just "prime" your car like Jim said, then drive for the rest of the day on low boost, then turn it up the next day.

I read somewhere that you shoudl crank it for 30 secs after disengaging the ignition system. Is this true and if so, how do you disengage ignition? Just take out the plug wires?? because I know you car isn't going anywhere without spark.

Thanks,
Jake

yea or you can disconnect the fuel pump wire, right at the top of the fuel pump, there is an electrical connector, disconnect that and crank

...Seems easier to just take the plug wires out. Nevermind, I forgot you were installing a turbo. So I guess taking out the seats isn't that much harder. Whatever, I guess just personal preferance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back