The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Whats the signs of a cracked block?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselboy

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2002
Seattle Area, Washington
Overheated, turned the car off before the car killed itself, now it wont start. It turns over, but doesnt start and seems to be struggling to start. Ive been told its possibly a warped head and blown head gasket, but Ive also been told that there is possibly water in the cylinders.

First, Id like to know the signs of a cracked block so once I get the car car going I can look for signs.

Second, Id like to know how I can fix the problem of water being in the cylinders (if thats the case). I was told to check the plugs for water on them, then what?

Third, I forgot what the boost guage is supposed to read when you turn the car on to start it. I swore it was -7, but now that it wont start, it reads at an even 0 (climbs a lil while trying to start it).

Last, If you think the diagnosis is different than anything Ive said above, then what do you think the problem might be? Thanks :D

The boost gauge is supposed to be at 0 when you turn the ignition power on. So thats fine.
However I would try remove all of the sparkplugs and turn the engine over to see if coolant shoots out. If not should be good to go. Drain the oil and inspect it. See if there is an excessive amount (reason is it might have dumped massive amounts of fuel into the oil.) If it seems like it is hard to turn over then what you need to do is take all of the accessory belts off and try turning each pulley (Except harmonic balancer) and see if they give you alot and i mean ALOT of resistance. I have a feeling your waterpump took a crap.. Perhaps it is locked up and fighting the starter.

Ok, should I just buy the new waterpump I know I need, replace the belts, and see if that works? I didnt know the waterpump could prevent it from starting. If I just got the new one, and if thats the problem (which is why I overheated in the first place), then would the new waterpump fix the problem? Thanks for all the info btw.

You could just replace the pump while you're in there. I just prefer to diagnose my problem completely before I start replacing parts. Although you do KNOW for a fact that your waterpump is bad...so I can't see why not. Wether it fixes your problem or not really depends on wether or not the pump was locked up or not.

Well, when the car overheated, it smelled like burning/hot coolant( couldnt smell any burning oil). I cant see what the coolant looks like cuz nothing is stayed in. The water/coolant wont stay in after the car runs (I guess the water pump shoots out the water after it runs). I have no idea what my compression is (I have no measurement thing and the car wont start.

I took off the valve cover and inspected the valvetrain. Everything looked ok , I didnt see any water or oil in the cylinders, except the plug wires were kinda melted/stuck on the plugs. But the plugs and wires are now outta the car and Im gonna go get some new Bosch plugs and magnecore wires. Maybe this will help?

Should I just buy a new head? Ive found a 1G head for $165. If my head is warped, would that prevent it from starting? What are all the factors that may be the cause for my car not starting because of the overheating??? Thanks :D

if i overheated a car, and then suddenly it wouldnt start, this is what i would do.
a) Change the oil, fill up the antifreeze, including the overflow container...and make sure you have gas....
b) I would then check to see why it doesnt start by seeing if it has spark, gas, and compression. if you dont have a compression tester, you can at least see if its getting spark, and maybe fuel. if you take out the spark plugs put you fingers over the holes, and turn the engine over, you can tell that there is compression pumping out of the spark plug holes (and not antifreeze) however you dont know how much, it could be 5psi for all you know.......
c) put it all back together, depending on what u find........... if you think the engine may be flooded with gas, you can hold the gas pedal to the floor while trying to start it. The computer will cut off all fuel going through the injectors into the cylinders. (thats how fuel injected computers work, as weird as it is.......it may start)
d) if you are getting spark, compression, and fuel, there is no reason it shouldnt start. the waterpump isnt going to prevent it from starting unless it is seized and slowing down the cranking of the engine......The engine will most likely run with a blown head gasket and warped head, but it will run like garbage........

other than that, i would get some pizza, cuz its gonna be a long week for ya.

hope i helped in some way
jeremy

Attachments

• mmeng.jpg
    mmeng.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 425
Originally posted by 4g63mightymax
the waterpump isnt going to prevent it from starting unless it is seized and slowing down the cranking of the engine....

hope i helped in some way
jeremy

So if it still sounds like its having some trouble starting, I should wait until i replace the waterpump then? I didnt know it could slow down the starting, and thats what it does sound like its doing, having a hard time starting.

if i were you, i would take the belt off the waterpump and try and start it. then the crankshaft isnt spinning the waterpump, and it wont slow your engine down while starting it. but dont run it for more than a minute or two, because it will overheat again with no waterpump spinning......
jeremy

the waterpump is on the drivers side of the engine, it is pretty much in the center of the engine if you are looking at it from the drivers side wheel. it isnt easy to get at though ith the engine still in the car. the pulley that is on it i believe has 4 bolts, and it is the only pulley directly above the crank. if you are leaking on the passenger side, you are probably leaking from the thermestat housing, because that is where that is located. if it isnt that, it is either the head or a rubber hose. there isnt much else over there that would leak antifreeze........
keep em coming.......
jeremy

the engine isnt gonna leak antifreeze unless the system is pressurized (when the engine is running). without the engine running, you would need to have a antifreeze pressure tester to do it. so unless you have one, i would say you are out of luck until your engine starts........ concentrate on figuring out why the engine doesnt start, then find out why it overheated.
to answer your question about where the head would leak, it could leak into the cylinders (which you wont see unless you remove the spark plugs and look inside), or where the head meets the block.....
did u take off the waterpump belt and try and start it yet?
jeremy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back