The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Positives and Negatives of disconnecting clutch safety feature

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane916

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2004
Sacramento, California
Recently disconnected the clutch safety feature so now I start the car with just the brake in. Just wondering if there are any positives/negatives of starting the car without the clutch in? Thanks :dsm:

Just remember not to be a dumbass and leave it in gear when you start the car, and you're good to go. :thumb:

Not really any negatives to it.
You're just starting a car without the clutch in and not having to press in the pedal.
Couple small other reasons to do it but I'll get a wisemen to give you those.

One thing I will mention, many people have tried moving their car when the engine doesn't run by bumping the starter (which is usually their reason for removing the clutch safety switch).

I don't recommend this. This usually leads to broken drivetrain parts (transmissions, axles, etc) because of the on/off nature of electric motors and the insane torque they generate.

If you should ever have to attempt this, make sure you slip the clutch until you're moving. And of course, don't run a starter for more than 15 seconds or it'll burn out, blah blah blah.

I'm not assuming that's why you're unhooking the switch, I merely mention this for someone else who might be searching and stumbles on this thread.

98RedGs said:
Not really any negatives to it.
You're just starting a car without the clutch in and not having to press in the pedal.
Couple small other reasons to do it but I'll get a wisemen to give you those.

Positives: you can use your starter to move the car off of railroad tracks if you ever stall on them 1:086250q38409437 chance.

negatives: can not use some rev limiters.
changes how power is delivered (the ECU refrences that switch).
car is easier to now steal.

Basically I don't see a reason to do this. You will change how the ecu reacts during shift changes and a few other situations as well as not be able to use after market things like a stutter box.

Mostly used by the 2G guys that are running an aftermarket pressure plate. It prevents people from putting unneeded stress on the crank everytime you start the car.

midnght said:
Mostly used by the 2G guys that are running an aftermarket pressure plate. It prevents people from putting unneeded stress on the crank everytime you start the car.

A better idea would be a secondary switch (push button) that you can push to bypass the switch when starting and then when you let go the clutch acts as it should.

crankbender said:
A better idea would be a secondary switch (push button) that you can push to bypass the switch when starting and then when you let go the clutch acts as it should.

I agree. But to most they just look for the "quick fix" and don't really know about the information you posted above about the ECU reading from it. OMG

midnght said:
I agree. But to most they just look for the "quick fix" and don't really know about the information you posted above about the ECU reading from it. OMG

now they do :D

thats a great idea to make a switch for it :) excellent information from everyone :)

crankbender said:

can you elaborate on this a little? I have mine disconnected just for ease of working on it when i need to turn it over and for the fact im too lazy to sit down each time...on my 2g its disconnected because i have remote start on it but im more interested on the power delivery :confused:

would it be ok to tap into the ground wire of it in order to make a switch? or should i do positive ? :) :dsm: :thumb:

Wouldn't it be easier just to cut the wiring like this?
Code:
Stock:

------[Clutch Switch]-------------------------------

Mod:

------[Clutch Switch]---------[Toggle Switch]-------

crankbender said:
car is easier to now steal.
Is it really that much of a difference? They would still have to get in and release the e-brake and/or put the car in neutral.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I was just wondering if there was another reason. :confused:

The wiring should go like this. You'll want the toggle in parallel with the switch on the clutch pedal.

Code:
Stock:

Mod:

|                        | 
    |--[Toggle Switch]-------|

Isn't the clutch switch normally closed? Meaning when you disconnect the wires, the ECU sees an open circuit so it starts?

If so, what would be the benefit to installing the switch in parallel? All you have to do is open the switch when you want to start it and close it after it's started.

psychlow said:
Isn't the clutch switch normally closed? Meaning when you disconnect the wires, the ECU sees an open circuit so it starts?

If so, what would be the benefit to installing the switch in parallel? All you have to do is open the switch when you want to start it and close it after it's started.

If it is nc (the top switch) then you will need a nc push button switch in series like your first diagram. If the switch is normally open then you will need a normally open switch in paralles like the last diagram.

Somebody climb in there with a multimeter and find out.

Ok, im realy confused :confused: ?
crankbender said:
changes how power is delivered (the ECU refrences that switch)

Can you explain this, I have my clutch switch disconnected and it floats to the side. How does this change how power is delivered? What does the ECU think Im driving with the clutch engaged? Wouldn't that throw some kind of code?

Ever since I read about crankwalk 3 years ago this mod was done, as a way to prevent the stress on the crank when starting the car. Seems to be working.

I find it great to learn new info, but someone has to explain how this changes how power is delivered. Maybe im missing something here? But its like me telling you guys, "That you can die from eating a peach"!

-Matt

I disconnected mine also and never noticed any changes in performance. I would like to know how this changes power delivery.

heavyD said:
I disconnected mine also and never noticed any changes in performance. I would like to know how this changes power delivery.

Well now this is a little hard to explain. I am not going to pretend that I know exactly what the ECU code is doing but there is a difference somewhere in how the timing and fuel maps are used.

I know this from personal experience. Try and drive the car with the clutch a little in (2600 engages all the way to the floor so I can do this) you will notice the car get an extra little boost when you let the pedal all the way up. Only the boost isn't so little!!!!

I assume this is to prevent overrevving when the clutch is in...If you think about it the car would rev alot faster than it does without any load on it....even without any boost you are making around 100 ponies and the rotating mass of the engine isn't that high....yet it takes what seems like forever to get it to 7 grand.

Somebody else with a clutch that engages at the floor go try this. Make sure you pay attention to the tac so you know you aren't slipping the clutch.

Also it working this way makes it easier to shift/drive.

To know exactly what is going on we should talk to dsmchips.com....he may or may not know if the switch is actually used in the timing/fuel map lookups.

crankbender said:
negatives: can not use some rev limiters.
Waitaminute, what? I don't think this is right. There's no connection between the ECU and the clutch/starter lockout.

Maybe you're thinking of the cruise control shutoff switch?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back