The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

AWD intermediate shaft bolt help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And_44

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2010
Marysville, Washington
Had a question about the 2 bolts that hold the bearing bracket onto the block (MB297860) I've called my local satan to see if they have them available they don't have them in stock any where on west coast but can order them for $8 each and will have them in 1-2 weeks.

Don't wanna spend $16 just for 2 bolts and then another $5 each for the washers. So $26 + tax for 2 bolts and washers seems rediculous. Is there an alternative I can use or do they have to be exactly this bolt? Can I get them off a n/t car? Local pick n pulls are filled with n/t and local part outs are pretty stingy when it just comes to get bolts.

Or if I went to my Tacoma screw and bolt, or parts store can I purchase a suitable replacement?

The non threaded part on the end of the bolt has nothing to do with not bottoming the threads out, it is to help line up the bolt while installing it. Pretty much just a guide on the tip of the bolt. If you get a similar length bolt that is the same strength than it will work just fine.

Well good news. Got 2 grade 10 bolts from Tacoma Bolt and with tax came to $3.26 and took under 5 minutes. Just got to stop by auto store and get lock washers.

Well good news. Got 2 grade 10 bolts from Tacoma Bolt and with tax came to $3.26 and took under 5 minutes. Just got to stop by auto store and get lock washers.

They will still break. The factory bolts have a dog point, and special shoulder, they also serve as alignment dowels. I've broken every bolt i've ever used, except oem.

Wonder what's the difference in them then between same or higher grades and where you get them from?

I do believe I read that the OEM ones are grade 8. Having the point on end for alignment doesn't matter if you can get them both in.

And a special shoulder? Right below the head? Wouldn't effect much maybe the washers.

Guess I got lucky the one bolt that was remaining in before was a grade 8 and just backed itself out. The 2nd bolt is non-exsistant just missing.

These are rated higher so feel pretty confident that they will work. The others that broke what kind of abuse did they take? I read the hearsay about some saying they heard that someone used and it broke but didn't find any first hand accounts. So hearsay I don't take to seriously.

Ultimate goal for me is 350-400 HP streetable. I don't launch often in any of my previous dsm's. So this one wouldn't be any different.

I'll give a try and if they break won't be hearing me complain. Haha, I'll just get them removed and replaced with OEM. And if they work for an extended amount of time I'll say they are working for my purpose.

But $8 for an obvisouly pretty normal grade 8 bolt that has a rounded tip and a shoulder is a rip and 1-2 weeks for shipping through mitsu dealership.... I could actually take the bolt into work and make a tip on them. Got them at 35mm which is about 1.5 inch. More then enough to make a tip.

Well, I'm glad I posted this thread, and Thank you very much donniekak about the tid bit about the "shoulder". I was curious what you were talking about so investigated further about it.

Apperently the holes in the bracket are slightly larger then the threaded part of bolt. This "shoulder" correct term is shank. The shank of the bolt is slightly larger then the threaded part to fill the area in the backet.

Apperently and very possible. Still haven't found first hand accounts of broken normal bolts. But with the hole being slightly larger then bolt it would give the bracket enough room to get enough momentum to break a bolt. So there for the shank has to be present so there is no movement of the bracket. Either the OEM bolt or if a bushing can be found to fill the area on a bolt.

Apperently the bolts are no longer in production according to the dealership around here that supports Eagle. And mitsu has to order from oversea's and will have it in 1-2 weeks at a lovely price of $8 each. Hope there made of titanium.

Apperently the holes in the bracket are slightly larger then the threaded part of bolt. This "shoulder" correct term is shank. The shank of the bolt is slightly larger then the threaded part to fill the area in the backet.

Apperently and very possible. Still haven't found first hand accounts of broken normal bolts. But with the hole being slightly larger then bolt it would give the bracket enough room to get enough momentum to break a bolt. So there for the shank has to be present so there is no movement of the bracket. Either the OEM bolt or if a bushing can be found to fill the area on a bolt.
Thanx for taking time to investigate this and posting for all to read. Should help the many who keep asking about these bolts. I'll send them here from now on (I didn't know as I have FWD which doesn't have the bracket so I just posted what someone else had claimed was the difference. Now we know the real story - good job. I gave you rep points for your considerate effort).

For those who are wondering, the factory part #'s are:
MB297860 - Bolt
MF450406 - Washer

Ordered new bolts and washers from Satan. Will arrive sometime after the 3rd of May. Will figure out how to post pics of them then.

Hey how did you get my bolts!!! Haha, j/k. But yea, got mine in yesterday they are identical. The grade 7 though threw me off. The guy at the dealership wanted to open the package when I arrived to pick them up. He was just as curious as I was o why these where so special and pricey.

But they'll serve there purpose.

Thanks for posting pic. I haven't really figured out how to do so yet.

Hey how did you get my bolts!!! Haha, j/k. But yea, got mine in yesterday they are identical. The grade 7 though threw me off. The guy at the dealership wanted to open the package when I arrived to pick them up. He was just as curious as I was o why these where so special and pricey.

But they'll serve there purpose.

Thanks for posting pic. I haven't really figured out how to do so yet.

I host the pictures on Photobucket then link them here. I hear there is a differient way to do it on the forum, but Im a old dog and to dumb to learn new tricks. I got thte bolts for $2.18 each :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back