The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

an alarm I didn't know I had?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2009
northwest, Washington
We have had our '96 GS for about 6 months. We bought it from the original owner. Last night, my older son took it to go to a party and he said that the alarm went off and he had to disconnect the battery terminal. All I could say was ''WTF?''. We didn't even know it HAD an alarm! Do these come stock with alarms? If so, how are they activated/deactivated?

maybe its not a alarm.... he probably hit the panic button on the remote if you have one, rehit the panic button or the unlock button, also you can insert the key in the driver door and i think that shuts it off

The owners manual tells you how to activate and deactivate the alarm system. I was going through the manual last year and found it in there.

maybe its not a alarm.... he probably hit the panic button on the remote if you have one, rehit the panic button or the unlock button, also you can insert the key in the driver door and i think that shuts it off

there is no remote for the car. No auto door locks that I know of...... I think he had to unlock the car to pop the hood, so the key in the driver door didn't shut it off.... I'll look in the manual when he gets home this morning.

OK, I called the dealership with the VIN and apparently it DID come stock with keyless entry/alarm! So, now I just need to buy a fob and get it programmed! I bought/programmed one for another vehicle, but by the sounds of it, the Eclipse isn't quite as easy to program......

My 98 has a stock alarm that will go off when I use the key to open the passenger door first, it has always gone away once I walk around the car and use the key on the drivers door.

Use the trunk to quite the alarm. Works every time.

Ebay has the fobs, but you need to figure out why the door locks arnt working. That maybe causing the alarm to go off.

Use the trunk to quite the alarm. Works every time.

Ebay has the fobs, but you need to figure out why the door locks arnt working. That maybe causing the alarm to go off.

I just ordered a fob today, so we'll see when it gets here. After checking into it further, there IS auto door locks (the writing is just wore off so I didn't know what it was), but they don't auto unlock with the button? Just lock with the button? I can hear the activator in the rear panel working when I lock the doors with the auto lock inside, but I couldn't get the alarm to go off for nothing :p

Ever one that i've had with a stock alarm you just put the key in the driver door and turn it towards unlock.

Pull the door panel off and check the condition of the door latch switch. It's located on the back of the key cylinder. I had both doors go bad and my alarm acted up all the time. Ordered two new ones from Mitsu been working perfect ever since. As for the locking and unlocking problem check the contact points on the door lock assembly which is located next to the door latch. You will see it once you get door panel off. Pull the door lock actuator off and you will see it has screws so you can take it apart. Once you have it apart clean all the contact points and put alittle bulb grease on it. Reassemble and everything should work good again. If not there is also a relay and door lock control unit that could be at fault.

My 90 GSX has a stock alarm also that goes off if the drivers door is not unlocked before the other doors open

Pull the door panel off and check the condition of the door latch switch. It's located on the back of the key cylinder. I had both doors go bad and my alarm acted up all the time. Ordered two new ones from Mitsu been working perfect ever since. As for the locking and unlocking problem check the contact points on the door lock assembly which is located next to the door latch. You will see it once you get door panel off. Pull the door lock actuator off and you will see it has screws so you can take it apart. Once you have it apart clean all the contact points and put alittle bulb grease on it. Reassemble and everything should work good again. If not there is also a relay and door lock control unit that could be at fault.

thanks for the suggestions. I have gotten the new key fob/remote now, but have not gotten around to try to program it. I need to research more on programming it (need to figure out exactly which pin is #1 and which is ground). We got a new stereo for the car too, so I will probably make a day out of working on it when we get a day nice enough to do so (no shop, has to be done in driveway)

Ever one that i've had with a stock alarm you just put the key in the driver door and turn it towards unlock.

+1^^ I didn’t know my GS had one till I unlocked the door by reaching in the window. Like he said just put the key in door and unlock it. If that doesn’t work lock it and unlock it from key hole, should work.

Here's the steps. 1) Ground pin #1 in diag. port(or jump to pin #4)
2) Turn key over and back, doors will lock and unlock to signal car is ready to program
3) Press any key on fob three times within 10 seconds

Last edited:
1.Locate the Data Port.
2.Insert keys in ignition and leave in the OFF position.
3.Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 and connect the Data Port with a suitable jumper wire, leave jumper wire connected throughout the programming procedure. Make sure you know which terminals are 1 and 4.
4.Within 10 seconds after connecting the jumper wire, turn the ignition switch to the ACC position and then back to OFF. #Note: The doors will automatically lock and unlock once at this time indicating that the system is in the programming mode.
5.Press the LOCK# button on the transmitter to be registered three times within 10 seconds.# Upon successful programming, the door will lock and unlock once.
6.If there are two remotes, register the first, then register the second. Repeat step 5 within one minute to program second remote. After completing the second programming, the doors will lock and unlock once.
7.Disconnect the programming wire and remove the keys from the ignition.

Attachments

• obd pin.jpg
    obd pin.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 246
If you bought 1 of the ebay aftermarket ket fobs, it should come with an odb2 port plug...it ground it for you.

THANK YOU JOHN for the picture - I had found the directions to do it many times, but not the pic of the OBD2 port with the spots numbered. I wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to ground port 16 instead of port 1. Didn't know if I'd fry something that way!

If you bought 1 of the ebay aftermarket ket fobs, it should come with an odb2 port plug...it ground it for you.

I actually bought a used 'original' fob off ebay - so that's all I got was the fob. Got it cheap because it had a broken hanging loop. I just drilled a hole and put a new loop though, LOL. I've done that with my Outback fob too (just took it apart first to make sure I wasn't going to drill into any electronics).

I dont think i have a stock alarm, have had my car for about half a year also and have never experienced it going off, whats a way i can find out ? and i would love to find out i could buy a new fob for a keyless entrance LOL

I dont think i have a stock alarm, have had my car for about half a year also and have never experienced it going off, whats a way i can find out ? and i would love to find out i could buy a new fob for a keyless entrance LOL

call the dealer with your VIN - they can tell you if it came stock with one.

Just look behind the battery on the firewall, if you see a disk like horn, you have an alarm.

i just want to see for myself it going off, wouldn't doubt the old owner took it out or somthing dumb like that -___- but alright i'll look for that disk shaped horn LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back