The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Annoying Squeal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9!'clipseDOHC

Aug 24, 2003
El Paso, Texas
I have a low, annoying squeal at idle. It is only at idle though, once i give it gas the squeal goes away. It is not there all the time though, usually more when it is cold and idling around 1,000. However sometimes even after it has warmed up and been driven for a while the squeal lingers.

I just replaced my alternator and power steering belts (ac is removed) with Goodyear Gaterback belts (they are advertised as the "quiet belts") and the squeal is still there. Both belts are tight. After replacing the belts the squeal is the same.

I've read about pulleys causing this, but how do I tell which one(s)? Is it only the crankshaft pulley or could it also be one of the other underdrive pulleys? Is there anything else that could be causing this? The Timing Belt or Balance shaft belt maybe?

Thanks

Make sure there isnt any oil or grease on the pullys. Sometimes oil gets on the pully and allows the belt to sweak a little. I know this is a very annoying problem, im still looking for a power stearing pump, mine has a sweak to it cause the bearings are going out. Did you happen to check and make sure non of the pullys would wabble when the belts was off?

Verify that the crank pulley is still in good shape. There is a rubber ring in the center of the pulley that rots, wears, falls apart, and has a habit of splitting the crank pulley in half when not repaired. One of the symptoms is squealing belts and vibration. As said eariler by the previous poster, check to see if the crank pulley spins straight and true. If is has a wobble, then you need to replace the crank pulley. I highly suggest an OEM or a Fluidine Brand pulley. The underdrive crank pulleys do not suppress crankshaft vibration and could cause premature wear on corresponding parts. The OEM pulleys will last around 100k or so if you have a high mileage DSM the likely hood of needing replacement is greater.

Thanks for the replys. I just ordered the factory crank pully from Buscher Racing. Hopefully this is the culprit, but even if it isn't I'm sure it needs to be replaced anyways. I've got around 150,000 miles.

Any other sugestions?

Check your power steering fluid level. Mine is low right now and is doing the same thing. Could be either one though really. You can not go wrong with a new crank pulley tho at 150k. Good luck!

+1 for oil.moisture on belts and pulleys, i had this forever on my whip couldnt figure out what it was, the belts were new, and were tight eventually i noticed a leak onto the belts making it squeal !! check that out first then make sure they belts arent worn out

My power steering fluid is a little low, but still above the min line. I'll go ahead and top it off. As for oil on the pulleys, I'll clean them when I'm in there replacing the crankshaft pulley. Hopefully it will be later this week. I hope this works.

I had a very similar squeal in my 96 talon which my mechanic recently quieted by tightening the power steering belt.. i just checked my power steering fluid and it was low which is porbably my current problem of shuddering and squealing while turning.

:cool:

I went ahead and topped off the power steering fluid but my squeal is only at idle, turning had no effect on it. At the moment I am just waiting for my new factory crank pulley.

From this article:

"You hear a high pitched squeal from the driver's side of the engine, especially when starting cold. You probably have a loose or worn accessory belt, most likely the one for the power steering pump. Tighten or replace the belt. Also check the alternator pulley; it's bearings are notorious for going bad and squealing...especially cheap aftermarket ones from parts stores.

You hear a squealing noise coming from the driver side of the engine bay, and you've already removed the accessory belts. If you have this noise even with the belts and front timing cover off (and your harmonic balancer is good), you've most likely got a worn out timing belt idler pulley or tensioner pulley. If this turns out to be the case, go ahead and replace the other timing components as well, since they probably aren't far behind.

You hear a squealing, grinding, or rubbing noise in the lower timing belt area, towards the back of the engine. Could be that the nut on your oil pump shaft has backed off and the oil pump sprocket is grinding a hole through your timing cover from the inside out. Pull the timing cover and look for shaved/burnt plastic and an oil leak in that area."

It really sounds like a PS or alternator belt to me. Are you sure they are tight? You should be able to deflect them about 1/4" to 3/8" halfway between the pulleys.

BTW - I haven't had much luck with Gatorback belts, but of course YMMV.

Double check your belts for how tight they are. Crank the ac, your stereo and spin the wheel all the way to either side while idling. If the squeal gets worse its probably a belt, and if it gets worse while youre turning the wheel its ###### your PS belt.

I don't have ac anymore and turning the wheel has no effect. The belts are TIGHT. Thanks for the ideas though. I'll keep checking things while I wait for my crank pulley to arrive, just in case it is something else.

of course by top off you meant to the max line because i filled mine up too much and had to soak some up with a paper towel to get the line back down.
other than that is above my trial and error knowledge.
meaning i dont know what a crank pulley is but i hope it works for you

of course by top off you meant to the max line because i filled mine up too much and had to soak some up with a paper towel to get the line back down.
other than that is above my trial and error knowledge.
meaning i dont know what a crank pulley is but i hope it works for you

Yes I topped it off to the max line, not the entire reservoir. That is a good point though, you don't want to overfill.

The crank pulley is attached to the crankshaft and is what turns all your belt driven accessories (ac, ps, alt).

Sounds like a throwout bearing. While at idle have your buddy push the clutch in. If the clutch is engaged and the noise goes away your in for a pretty big tranny job.
BTW when you push the throttle in does not go away you simply cant hear it over the motor.

Last edited:
I replaced the throwout bearing when I installed my ACT 2100 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel not too long ago so I don't think that that is it. It doesn't go away when the clutch is engaged.

I have listened to see if it continues after giving it gas and as far as I can tell no. I'm pretty sure its just at idle.

well if it doesnt go away when the clutch is in then it isnt likely to be the TOB but just in case did you use a genuine OEM throwout bearing when you replaced it? our trannies dont get along with aftermarket TOBs unfortunately

Yes I did. Mitsubishi Motors Baby!

I ordered my Mitsubishi crank pulley from Buscher Racing 10 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet. I got an e-mail from them today asking me to call them about my order... I hope this doesn't mean I've been waiting for nothing :ohdamn:

Ok I got ahold of Buscher and there had made a mistake somehow but it is in the mail now and I should have it on Monday.

However it seems like the squealing has stopped. I haven't heard it in several days. I wonder if the belts just had to settle in?!?! :confused:

Oh well. I'll still replace the crank pulley just in case. Thanks for all the help guys!

Update. My car hasn't squealed in over a month. While I was changing the oil and workign on a few other things I decided to install my new harmonic balancer just as preventive maintenance since I already had it. After I finished and started it up my car was squealing!!!! I tightened the belts again to no avail.

While I was messing with it my leg hit the front bumper and the squealing stopped. My leg came off the bumper and it started again. My car was hit in the front bumper a month or two ago, right about the time that the squealing started. Its been my front bumper all along!

I'm dropping my car off at the body shop today anyways for the insurance work. When it gets back there should be no more squeal! I can't believe it was my stupid bumper all along. Thanks for all the ideas and help guys! Dsmtuners rocks :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back