The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2G Auto No Signal to Starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
Alright so I'm having a somewhat common issue that I can't locate the answer to.

I am diagnosing a no start as there is no power to the signal wire to the starter. If I jump 12v to it, the starter kicks over. I pulled the starter relay and checked it out - There is a Black and yellow wire and then 3 (Why the hell do we have 3 matching colored wires) Black wires with red stripes. Now, Luv2rallye stated that you could jump the Red/Black wire to the Black Yellow wire thus effectively eliminating the Starter relay, but there is where this gets confusing.

There are 3 Red/Black wires.
With the key in the "On" Position, 2 of them have 10v+.
One of the Red/Black wires does not have any voltage.
With the key in the "Start" Position, 2 of the Red/Black wires have 12v+
One of the Red/Black wires has no voltage.

If I jumper a wire between either of the ones with constant voltage, turning the key over will start the car. However - that's where I run into this issue.

don't use the red-black on pin 2 which has constant power) to the larger black-yellow on pin 5 (not the smaller black-yellow on pin 1)

So I'm a bit confused? The relay I have looks like this -

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If it has 3 blk/red wires your car is an automatic then?
One of the blk/red should not have power, it is a ground for the relay field coil thru the Neutral safety switch.
( that is terminal 1 of the relay)
If you have power while cranking on the other 2 blk/red (they are from the same source) your ign switch & theft system if equipt is functioning.
With the relay connected & ignition in the cranking position you should get 12 volts or less cause the car would be cranking.

Need to focus on that smaller blk/red wire & make sure it has a ground thru the neutral safety switch.
This is a pinout of the relay. (-this is automatic specific manual's are different-)
1) this is the ground provided by the neutral safety for relay's field coil
2) not used
3) power supply from ignition switch for starter relay's field coil
4) power supply from ignition switch to power starter solenoid
5) switched power output- to power the starter solenoid once the relay's field coil has power & ground to close the relay's switch.

If you jump 4 & 5 ( the larger 2 terminals) key in crank position it should activate the starter.
It will crank no matter what gear your in...

Attachments

• 2gstarterrelay.jpg
    2gstarterrelay.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 514
Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back