The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

A look at the 4g63 PCV System - Engine internal view

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
A look at the 4G63 PCV system
Engine internal view.

I know this topic has been covered in depth over and over again.
DSM Wiseman has a great write up on it from the valve cover out, and covers how the system works. If you have not read it, you need to.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

How this will differ is looking at how what is going to be vented moves through the engine and up to the valve cover.
Now with the 4g63 there are 3 oil returns that drain oil from the head back into the block to the oil pan. One on either end of the head on the intake side, and one in the center of the exhaust side of the head.
Yes air pressure will be vented through these oil returns, the drawback is as air flows up, it will catch oil returning to the pan and catch an amount of it keeping it air born carrying it to the valve cover baffles. This is unwanted oil loss.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Notice the 4 baffle vents that allow the air into the valve cover to be vented outside the engine.

Now if you look at the center of the intake side of the head, there is a vent tower.
Oil is not supposed to flow down this port, but direct crank pressure from the block through the head and direct it towards the valve cover.

The underside of the vent tower

The head vent tower lines up with the dual round passages on the block.

You can see this vent passage cast into the intake side of the block.

Now in the crank case, this is the start of the vent.

Now from what I have seen, the main restriction of this system is in the head, just from casting the head, there is flashing in the vent tower.

When the head is off the engine, the flashing needs to be removed so the crank case can vent as it should.

Now that you have read this, this mod will make more sense.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/472409-4g63-block-vent.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information on the inner workings of the venting system. Pictures especially help to materialize the words into images. :thumb:. In regards to the baffle and venting. If you plug up the stock vent holes (one with pcv and other that goes to turbo intake hose), would it matter if you places the new welded on bungs near the old ports, or can you move them back towards the center of the valve cover. Does that explanation make sense?

I would not change the location of the ports because of the baffle inside the VC

i removed the baffle and re-welded the aluminum one on that a member sells on here. Instead of putting the ports up on the edge of the valve cover, i put them right where the valve cover steps down.

Thank You BogusSVO, for the great service you provide to the DSM community. As for the flashing, which way is it recommended to be removed? Just take a drill to it?

Thank You BogusSVO, for the great service you provide to the DSM community. As for the flashing, which way is it recommended to be removed? Just take a drill to it?

Drill, die grinder and long burr, long drift and hammer, what ever way you can, Does not have to be pretty, just has to get gone.

Your the man bogus!! Always hooking up great tips for everyone to enjoy and benifit from!! Lol :) oh by the way got my v.w. All back together and running like a champ thanks to the head you hooked up, cars getting 32.5mpg and that's not highway driving all city!! Mainly becuase we don't have a highway hahaha! Couldn't have done it without you man!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back