The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

DIY:4g63DSM/4g63EVO7 hybrid..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRome

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2008
Victoria, Australia
Mods: if this is in the wrong section please move to the appropriate one, cheers..

4G63 DSM block (6bolt) with EVO7 head.. (note this is all DIY!)

Chipped single board ECU (ECMlink on the way)
1G 6 bolt block
Evo 7 Head
2G CAS (no mods straight bolt up)
1G Throttle (needed 5mm plate adapter)
1G Thermostat housing
1G 1 piece timing cover
Evo 7 cams and gears
Evo 8 (shaved) intake manifold
Evo 9 injectors and rail
VR4 wiring loom (extended)
Evo 6 coil packs and leads
Evo 7 turbo 16G
i'll list more when i remember..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

welding the head and machining..

preping the block

installation

Manifold

Dump (unfinished)

hot side pipe

random pics..

short vid:

more details to come....

What is your reasoning for wanting the intake on the front and exhaust on the rear?

What is your reasoning for wanting the intake on the front and exhaust on the rear?

more space for turbo and manifold designs... but biggest reason is MIVEC... this was just a test to see if i could install a evo 4-8 head onto a DSM/1G block....

this now proves that MIVEC is possible for 1G engines on a budget...

more space for turbo and manifold designs... but biggest reason is MIVEC... this was just a test to see if i could install a evo 4-8 head onto a DSM/1G block....

this now proves that MIVEC is possible for 1G engines on a budget...

Correct me if im wrong, but i thought only IX come with MIVEC?

I agree with bryan..This would have been awesome is the turbo was facing the front, or in a RWD car. The engine like this makes me believe its like a srt4 LOL. I'm impressed by the fiting great job man!! :D

Do you have a MIVEC head yet, and also how do you plan on tuning the MIVEC timing capabilities? What do you mean by welding the head in your first post?

By welding, he means the extra cooling holes the evo head has. Look at the pics, you can see both 1g and evo heads and the extra holes in the evo head. As well the pic with the evo head and the 1g head gasket.
I have seen this before but only on a 100% track car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if im wrong, but i thought only IX come with MIVEC?

you are correct...

Do you have a MIVEC head yet, and also how do you plan on tuning the MIVEC timing capabilities? What do you mean by welding the head in your first post?

i have a few available down here in Aus, but the Valve covers are almost like finding gold on the ground.... almost impossible to find..

Tuning is easy for MIVEC, just use an EVO9 ECU...

you have to weld a few of the oil return galleries shut or it wont seal on the DSM/1G block.. also there are a lot more water passages then the 1G head, but not really required to weld them shut as the head gasket will do it for you.. not to hard if you know how to weld alloy...

I'm wondering the same, and also the IX and up only had MIVEC so do you plan on changing the head out to a MIVEC head and what do you plan to use to control it?

correct i will be changing heads in the near future for MIVEC capabilities...

By welding, he means the extra cooling holes the evo head has. Look at the pics, you can see both 1g and evo heads and the extra holes in the evo head. As well the pic with the evo head and the 1g head gasket.
I have seen this before but only on a 100% track car.

Thanks for clearing that up....

I have searched hi and lo and i think i'm the only current street car running this orientation... :hellyeah: it seems the engine is a lot more rev happy.... will update more over the week end.....

Looking forward to the updates. I really hope you pull this off without any huge difficulty and do an excellent write up on the process. BTW since your going to obviously be using an Evo IX ECU, what are you going to be using to reflash it? (I think i'm correct in thinking they can be easily reflashed..)

I have never seen a "Eterna" before, but I like it! Looks like it's basically a Gallant VR4?

Looking forward to the updates. I really hope you pull this off without any huge difficulty and do an excellent write up on the process. BTW since your going to obviously be using an Evo IX ECU, what are you going to be using to reflash it? (I think i'm correct in thinking they can be easily reflashed..)

I have never seen a "Eterna" before, but I like it! Looks like it's basically a Gallant VR4?

Yeah its a Galant Hatch, everything is the same its just a tad heavier....

using EvoScan for the tuning of the evo9 ecu.... seems easy to use, and yeah they are easy to program.....

finished the wiring and half tuck the rest of the loom....

(note: if anyone has noticed, yes they are 255 wide front tyres :p)

just wiring my gauges and RPM converter..

ran out of space on the intake manifold and fuel rail for my pressure gauge.... so here is an idea for everyone....

happy snaps

1.2bar STI actuator :p

and the last piece of the puzzle......

custom pcv valve... couldnt wait for the plastic one ordered from Ralliart Australia...

So what are the bennifits to doing this without the MIVEC??? Is thjere something special about the head i haven't heard of like it flowing way better, wa bettr aftermarklet cam support or i it just one of those things thatyou did "because you know how and noone else has it"? I love the idea and the metal work inI just don't see the bennifits by loking at it and none are listed, so please fill me in i'm intrigued

Very awesome! I have a question. The 4g64 SOHC block has extra coolant passages that need to be blocked when doing the DOHC swap on DSMs. The Evo head also has extra coolant passages. Would the extra coolant passages in the Evo 8 head line up with the 1995-1999 4g64 block without needing to block any holes? Im pretty sure they will since the evo guys use the later 4g64 blocks with the evo 8 head. I dont know all of the logistics of that swap though. If someone has a spare evo 8 head and 4g64 headgasket they can answer that question

So what are the bennifits to doing this without the MIVEC??? Is thjere something special about the head i haven't heard of like it flowing way better, wa bettr aftermarklet cam support or i it just one of those things thatyou did "because you know how and noone else has it"? I love the idea and the metal work inI just don't see the bennifits by loking at it and none are listed, so please fill me in i'm intrigued

the newer technology in the heads seem, just from experience now, that they have better response over the VR4/DSM heads... other wise i'll update more when i hit the Dyno..

Very awesome! I have a question. The 4g64 SOHC block has extra coolant passages that need to be blocked when doing the DOHC swap on DSMs. The Evo head also has extra coolant passages. Would the extra coolant passages in the Evo 8 head line up with the 1995-1999 4g64 block without needing to block any holes? Im pretty sure they will since the evo guys use the later 4g64 blocks with the evo 8 head. I dont know all of the logistics of that swap though. If someone has a spare evo 8 head and 4g64 headgasket they can answer that question

id say it was possible... i am yet to see a early 4g64 engine, but i have done a few later 4g64 conversions to Evo5-6's and they do have the extra water lines...

also remember the 4g64 block is approx 6mm higher then a 4g63, you will need adjustable cam gears to compensate for the height.. other wise they will work...

Cool, thanks for clarifying that, to be honest i am a metal fab guy (how i work from home and earn my living) and i just love the fact that your TIG'ing up the coolant passages and then machining the head back smooth. That just equalls all kinds of custom.. I was un aware that the EVO heads were much different than the regular 4g63 heads asidefrom being backwards built so to speak..

after posting i saw the aprt where you said you where gonna try and employ a MIVEC head, now that will be something fun to play with, especially if you have an ECU where you cna play with the on off RPM and loads@!!

keep this updated please!!

Cool, thanks for clarifying that, to be honest i am a metal fab guy (how i work from home and earn my living) and i just love the fact that your TIG'ing up the coolant passages and then machining the head back smooth. That just equalls all kinds of custom.. I was un aware that the EVO heads were much different than the regular 4g63 heads asidefrom being backwards built so to speak..

after posting i saw the aprt where you said you where gonna try and employ a MIVEC head, now that will be something fun to play with, especially if you have an ECU where you cna play with the on off RPM and loads@!!

keep this updated please!!

will do!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back