The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Converting 2ga headlights into 2gb with no gap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTSIawd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 17, 2005
Stayton, Oregon
I upgraded my bumper to a 97-98 talon bumper, which in my opinion looks way better than the 95's. On doing so, I wanted to put in the 2gb headlights because, again, they look way better than the 95's IMO. But, as some of you may know both parts don't fit right. The headlights leave an open gap since the 2gb Talon bumper only accepts 2ga headlights. I really wanted to make this work and i did not want to mold and screw up a nice bumper so i came up with an idea to Frankenstein the two types of headlights.

Note: the top one is the 2ga... On these two pics you can see the only difference are the outer clear plastic and the inner black plastic (i painted mine black)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I took them apart with a heat gun, you just take the clips off and apply heat all around the edges until the silicone gets soft enough to pry open. Here again shows that the housing on the two are alike, except for some really slight difference in the reflector design.

Here are the two inner plastics that i will be modifying (I took apart one of my spare 2ga headlights i had laying around so this one has the chrome plastic, the first pic with the black plastic was just to compare both headlights) and as you can see all there needs to be done is to swap the tip from the 2ga to the 2gb

I placed the 2gb black plastic inside the 2ga clear plastic to see and measure where i needed to cut, i decided to cut off as little as possible to leave room for some adjustments.

After the cut i placed it back in the 2ga clear plastic and measured the gap that needed to fill in. Then i grabbed the 2ga chrome plastic, measured it and made a cut

I placed the 2ga tip (I painted the tip black because i wanted to see how it really looked as i made adjustments) and the 2gb black plastic in the clear plastic and made slight adjustments to the black plastics until everything fit in real nice and tight and finally glued both pieces together, after that i placed a couple drops of clear silicone to secure the black plastic in the clear plastic since the screws that hold it together do not align

After i putting everything back together, here are the results. Starting from the top 2ga, 2gb, and at the bottom the new 2gab.

Here it is installed

The most work was sanding the clear plastic on my 95 headlights to a crisp clear shine because they were very dull from all the highway driving. In all, i spent 100 bucks on the new 2gb headlights from eBay and a few bucks on the glue and sand paper but the end result is a bit unique... What do you all think?

Interesting allot of work and wasted parts. All tough you would be better off finding junk yard parts cheaper.

Looks good I will give you that.

Thanks, I did searched for a pair of used 2gb headlights for months but found none and so i gave in to a new set. I took out the headlight out of my bros 98 car to compare all three on the last pic, but yes if anyone wants to do this i would recommend checking out the junkyards first.

Kind of a waste a time in my opinion but it did come out pretty good though. You can find 2GB headlights on Ebay for $100 shipped. Here are a couple threads on them:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/332181-cheap-oem-ebay-head-lights.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/349992-new-oem-style-headlights.html

He said in his first post he only paid 100 for the headlights so ?

I like it props to you man. Definitely unique. I kinda wanna do this now but i can't stand how HIDs look without projectors.... o well

Kind of a waste a time in my opinion but it did come out pretty good though. You can find 2GB headlights on Ebay for $100 shipped. Here are a couple threads on them:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/332181-cheap-oem-ebay-head-lights.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/349992-new-oem-style-headlights.html

I'm not sure the point of this post? 2GB headlights won't directly fit in the 97 Talon bumper (the whole point of doing this) & he did pay $100 for the 2GB lights he bought :confused:

I think the headlights looks abit funny, just because I'm use to seeing those "internals" with the better shaped 2GB headlights but I have to say, the best use of a 2GA headlight setup I've seen. Overall, a much better look IMO.

Props to this custom work man. Sometimes you have to mod a bit more than you initially intended. But that's what makes your car custom compared to everyone else. Unique indeed. I def like the newer Talon bumpers compared to any others. Nice work :thumb:

Yeah I did get them shipped for 100 bucks, there was another used pair but it was up for 200 bucks so yup... They do look a bit strange and it's probably the reason why the engeniers changed the outer plastic design LOL. Well, this was just something I did while waiting to get my car back from the shop, just killing time.

I think it looks awesome. I doubt most people would notice the difference, but I like to see that some people pay attention to little details like that. I definately notice the difference, and it gave you a great facelift. Thumbs up from me!

I love the 2gb Eclipse headlight internals, if it wasn't for my HID retro I'd ditch mine in a heartbeat for those.

thanks, you know I asked a couple of friends and one thought I had the original 2gb headlights and the other noticed nothing special LOL, in all I'm happy with the results.

Hmm... those look like axis seven rims ? :hmm:
my rims? To tell you the truth I don't know LOL they didn't come with the center caps when I got them but they used to be white.

^^^ Thats how its done.

Apply heat all around the edges until it gets warm then just focus the heat all around one edge. I found it easiest if you start on the edge near the high beams. Then unhook the tab that's on there and start prying it open while applying heat. Since i couldn't hold the heat gun and pull the headlight apart at the same time, as soon as I managed to get a gap open I stuck a long Flathead and pried it open with one hand while applying heat on the silicone with the other. Be careful though because the Flathead will get smeared with silicone and its a little hard to clean up if it lands on the reflector housing or anywhere inside.

For reassembly, you warm up the silicone around the edges and fit back the clear plastic starting from the low beam and squeeze it in good. As for the clips, those are there to hold the seal tight until it hardens. They need to snap on real tight, if they are loose just bend them closer.

^^^ Thats how its done.

Apply heat all around the edges until it gets warm then just focus the heat all around one edge. I found it easiest if you start on the edge near the high beams. Then unhook the tab that's on there and start prying it open while applying heat. Since i couldn't hold the heat gun and pull the headlight apart at the same time, as soon as I managed to get a gap open I stuck a long Flathead and pried it open with one hand while applying heat on the silicone with the other. Be careful though because the Flathead will get smeared with silicone and its a little hard to clean up if it lands on the reflector housing or anywhere inside.

For reassembly, you warm up the silicone around the edges and fit back the clear plastic starting from the low beam and squeeze it in good. As for the clips, those are there to hold the seal tight until it hardens. They need to snap on real tight, if they are loose just bend them closer.

Perfect thanks :thumb:

I had thought of doing something like this but never got around to it. (too busy keeping the damn thing running) it turned out very well. Big thumbs up! I really like to see people do stuff like this, the little things that really make a car. these cars look so good from the factory it is hard to improve on them but the subtle things really add to them. Very nice!

ok,maybe they are typos but why will 2gb headlights NOT work with a 2gb bumper cover?? They come from the factory working just fine? (or do you mean 2gb lights don't fit the 2gA bumpper????)

Other than that I think your work is well done but i also think you butchured 2 pairs of lights for something that's not really any different than just running the 2gb lights themselves

I'm not saying that in an insulting mnner so don't take offense by any means please..I just don't see what yuou're getting out of so much work and the sacrifice of at least one of the pairs of lights

The idea is to make the 2gb housings fit in a 2ga lens so that it fits the 2ga and/or 2gb Talon bumper without a gap. I love the look of the OEM 2gb headlight but want to keep my Talon bumper and don't want a gap.

The idea is to make the 2gb housings fit in a 2ga lens so that it fits the 2ga and/or 2gb Talon bumper without a gap. I love the look of the OEM 2gb headlight but want to keep my Talon bumper and don't want a gap.

ahhh.. I completely skipped the difference in the talon vs. eclipse bumper.. i sorta think DSM = all the same LOL (to an extent if that makes sense LOL )

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back