The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

coolant sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaidet

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I need to replace my coolant sensor. Throwing CEL code 21. And on my logger its reading -40C. Tried to order one from Misubishi with the correct part number: MD069879 according to CAPS. Picked it up today and it doesn't look like my old one in the connector area (see pics). This one has one spade connector going upright the other turned on its side, they form a "T" kinda like. When I put my car back together (bought it in pieces) the sensor connector was cut. So I made my own with spade connectors, because the dufus before me cut the wires right next to the connector so I have nothing to solder to. That connector, connects to my temp sender which has two smaller spades that are both horizontal and next to each other. So I know its the right one for that sensor. I ordered a new connector from Mitsu Graveyard it is on its way not sure what its going to look like. What does everyone elses connector and sensor look like? I cant seem to find the one like mine anywhere?

Attachments

• tempsensor.jpg
    tempsensor.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 2,653
  • sidetemp.jpg
    sidetemp.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,554
  • tempparnumber.jpg
    tempparnumber.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2,567
That is the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. The coolant themp. sender is a single prong that runs the guage on the dash. 1g's are t's, 2g's are 2 prong oval'ish pigtails.
Matthew

ahaidet said:
I need to replace my coolant sensor. Throwing CEL code 21. And on my logger its reading -40C. Tried to order one from Misubishi with the correct part number: MD069879 according to CAPS. Picked it up today and it doesn't look like my old one in the connector area (see pics). This one has one spade connector going upright the other turned on its side, they form a "T" kinda like. When I put my car back together (bought it in pieces) the sensor connector was cut. So I made my own with spade connectors, because the dufus before me cut the wires right next to the connector so I have nothing to solder to. That connector, connects to my temp sender which has two smaller spades that are both horizontal and next to each other. So I know its the right one for that sensor. I ordered a new connector from Mitsu Graveyard it is on its way not sure what its going to look like. What does everyone elses connector and sensor look like? I cant seem to find the one like mine anywhere?

My 1g has three differnt units. The one you posted is the one the ecu reads. It is located in the lower part of the thermostat housing. I also have the one you are talking about located in the upper half of the thermostat housing. The third is is in the lower part of the housing with a single spade. This is the sender that is used for the temp gauge.

I had trouble finding this pic. The left one works the fan, the middle goes to the ECU, and the one on the right works the gauge needle.

Attachments

• temp.gif
    temp.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,820
Thanks alot guys. I figured it out later that day. I was looking at the wrong sensor. I was thinking it was the top one in the picture that Defiant posted. As it worked out my wires were broken that went to the ECU sensor, which is the sensor in the pictures above. I replaced the wires and made my own connector out of spade connectors and heat shrink tubing. Works good. Mitsubishi.. using 3 sensors to do the job that one could do. :sneaky:

haha funny, I just ran into the exact same problem (my wires on the harness broke off) and I was struggling with a solution. Guess I'll try the spade connectors, thanks!

Man if someone could get those pigtails and sell them as aftermarket replacements they could make a killin! I need 4 of them right now just for my cars LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back