The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How to Make your own oil restrictor for journal bearing (non-BB) turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently installed a new T04b Garrett turbo on my 2G. I am feeding the turbo with a 4AN stainless braided line coming off of the oil filter housing. The CHRA of this (and many other) Garrett turbo likes the oil pressure in the inlet to be between 30-50 PSI. I was worried that I might be over-oiling or over-pressurizing it which would eventually cause premature failure. That prompted me to begin searching for a restrictor to place inline with the turbo's inlet and the oil feed line. My search came up short. I then decided to make my own kit.....
Parts include:
(1) Aeroquip adapter fitting- NPT to AN - (I used -04 AN to 1/4" NPT. NPT side may vary per application.)
(1) Nitrous Jet - size is personal preference. I used .078.

The flare angle on the fitting and the nitrous jet are both 37*. Basically what you need to do is turn-down the fitting end until it has no tapper and it is flat.

1st step - You will need access to a lathe. Turn it down far enough until there is no longer a flared angle on the end. Clean up all edges - no burs.

2nd step - slide the nitorus jet into the hole. The seat of the jet should be flat with the surface of the machined area.

And you are done. Basically, you have the same fitting, with the same 37* end, but now it will restrict flow to whatever size jet you are using. I will get more pictures of this restrictor on the turbo.....

Attachments

• fitting01.jpg
    fitting01.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 12,854
  • fitting02.jpg
    fitting02.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11,471
  • fitting03.jpg
    fitting03.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 11,431
  • fitting04.jpg
    fitting04.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 11,533
  • fitting06.jpg
    fitting06.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 11,363
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back