The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Door Window Trim [Merged 10-8] belt beltline chrome black weatherstrip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i have the same problem and i have no idea how to fix it.. i tried just peeling off the #@%#@%#@%#@% off and painting it black.. doesn't look good.. if you have any other ideas let me know..

alex

open the door, there is a screw at the end. Take that screw out and gently pry the piece straight up. Do this all the way down the door until you get to the mirror. It will come off, then use some sand paper andget rid of the old black stuff, rough it up a bit and repaint it black. You can also do this with the pieces that go above the doors by the roof and the piece that is under the windshield wipers. It looks really good and clean when you repaint all of these pieces.

Originally posted by Dsmed
open the door, there is a screw at the end. Take that screw out and gently pry the piece straight up. Do this all the way down the door until you get to the mirror. It will come off, then use some sand paper andget rid of the old black stuff, rough it up a bit and repaint it black. You can also do this with the pieces that go above the doors by the roof and the piece that is under the windshield wipers. It looks really good and clean when you repaint all of these pieces.

I did this exact same thing to my old '94. To help with getting some of that old crap off, do exactly what DSMED said, but try using a razor blade to get some of the old rubber off after you pull it off of the car. Makes thing a LOT easier. Then, use some 400, 800, 1000 grit sandpaper. Put about five coats of satin black on it. cost: $10.00. Lasts a lot longer than the rubber. My little brother has the car now and it's help up for about two years now with no chips or flakes. The only wierd thing that I can recall is that my trim wasn't held in by a screw in the door, but a rubber plug. I popped it in and out easy enough.

yeah some are rubber plugged, some are a phillips screw, and some are plastic plugged.

Originally posted by 91MitsEclipseNT
try machv they have the strips for 48$ i think, i need some too :)
yeah, go to www.machv.com and look up maintenance, they have all the cures of the common ailments of our cars, like the trunk pumps that hold the trunk up, mine don't work for my car, little stuff.

I had the same thing happen on my last car. Take the strips off sand them down. Them take them to a shop the sprays in tough liners (spray in bed liners for trucks). Works great looks close to the original and doesn't chip like paint.

just wondering if anyone knows how to take off the lower window trim on a 1g. you know the chipped black strip under the window.

Attachments

• machv_1719_591411.jpg
    machv_1719_591411.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,815
Looks good. Could you list the part# on the site, perhaps?

Hey Alex, would you be willing to post the actual article here in the forums? This way we can have it published here - as we won't be moving any links into the tech articles section, only full articles. You can link off to the images hosted on your site.

Replacing your window trim (MB517813 | MB517814) in a 1G Eclipse</b>

Here we see a withered old window trim,

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

quite common in the 1st generation Eclipses / Talon / Lasers. We will be replacing this trim with factory Mitsubishi components

Open your door and look inside the door jam for the pin holding your stock piece on

After removing the pin, lightly pull up and toward you, then up to remove.

Now gently rest your window trim back onto your door, depress down slightly until you feel the grooves in the door slide into the window trim.

Then replace the pin in the door jam. You are now ready to sport your new and clean looking window trim! Enjoy!!

My 93 has the beginning of the black paint chipping off the lower window trim, and while I can buy a new set from $100, is it possible to just sand it down and repaint it with a matte finish spraypaint? I had good luck doing that with my wiper arms, but it looks like a different finish on these trim pieces.

It will look like crap if you try to paint them. The trim is metal with a rubber coating and that makes it hard to sand smooth. I bought my new trim off ebay for $35 for both sides and it was factory mitsu parts brand new it the package.

I tried realing off the rest of the black flaky stuff and painting it but it looked like crap. So i went to the dealer and got 2 brand new ones for like 30 bucks a pop? Not bad, worth it.

Had the same problem on my 93 Talon. Since I had a spare set(also bad) , heres what I did. Took a sharp razor blade knife and cut the rubberized coating off the front back to the rubber backing .underneath its the cheap chrome trim so i just trimmed the coating back to the point where it looks good and neat. Then scuffed the chrome trim with a fine sanding pad and painted it with a semi gloss enamel. It comes off easily if you take the plastic pin out of the doorjam then from the inside of the door used a wide flathead screwdriver to pry it up. Its just got pressure clips holding it in.

Where can I find new lower window trim? The part on the outside with the squigie thats all plasti-coated. I need it for a 1g mits. Also how the hell do you get this part off the car to replace? My chiltons doesnt even cover it . Thanks
:dsm: mike

Thanks for the info guys, Im gonna pull mine tomorrow, sand and paintem flat black :thumb: Where's the pin to get them out? I cant tell where theyre looking at on that article.

1g's suffer from it also, and my Mitsu dealer wants 18 a peice for it :thumbdown

Attachments

• shit.JPG
    shit.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,626
ok i know there is a way on how to take off that "black"(i do that cuz its supposed to be black and mine in chrome) piece under the window, i know this questions been asked but i didnt find out how 2 take it off. thanx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back