The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

OBX fuel rail question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark DSM

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2003
Roseville, Michigan
:confused:

I know i should have found out before i finished it but does anyone know the size of the opening on the other end of an OBX fuel rail for the 420a, what is the thread size, so i know what fitting to use for a return line?

eh...calling obx is a hit or miss, but i talked to Shawn from CI and he mentioned it should be a -8an but it looks like a metric thread, in which i need to go from a metric to AN for a return line, so yeh im kinda stuck. It did come with a stopper plug so i guess im gonna try and find out the thread size and diameter.....

I'm not doubting any one at concept illusions (except where is my freaking order...LOL)....so this isn't about right or wrong more of a quesiton I need answered.

I thought that when you have a fuel return line the line that returns the fuel should be smaller than the line that feeds the fuel, for instance....on my custom fuel rail, I've got 8-an lines going in, and 6-an lines returning the fuel.

So am I correct and this? And should the correct poster take this into account when deducing the correct size to use for his fuel rail?

yeh im not too worried about what size line to use, but the actually size fitting i need for the rail to reduce it. The actual threads tapped into the passenger side of the actual rail........

I belive all of my fuel lines are about 4 AN. I will check on that tho.

yeah on the late model fuel system the stock fuel feed line is 4-an.

On 95's its 4-an in and 4-an out.

I'm just referencing for when people decide to upgrade their rails or their lines.

OK now! i have figured it out, on the actual return end or the OBX fuel rail, thread size for a return fitting reducer, is 3/8 to -6an, a little snug like it wants to cross thread but it actually does not crossthread. The actual fitting it self is tappered, and made by aeroquip.
So yeh just a little info in case someone wants an obx rail.:thumb:

Oh yeh always use teflon tape............;)

i am looking into buying in obx fuel rail to match my obx intake manny. Now my queation is i dont see the mounting holes on obx fuel thats would hold it in place. does the obx fuel rail have those holes and i just cant see them in the picture? thanks

Oh yeh always use teflon tape.

Using a friend’s experience with an OBX fuel rail, I would advise keeping a close eye on your fuel rail. Similarly, be aware of smelling raw gas at the fuel rail. His OBX fuel rail leaked terribly at the return fitting, yet he was able to return the product for a refund. Leaking raw gas from the fuel rail is not a good situation.

Also, for AN fittings you should not use Teflon tape (use Teflon tape for NPT fittings). Using Permatex #2 (non-hardening formula) is recommended for AN fittings, especially for fuel or oil lines (compared to water lines where Teflon tape is more acceptable/compatible).

Technically, you shouldn't need anything (tape, sealant, compound, or otherwise) for AN fittings. If you use Teflon tape on NPT fittings, be sure you use the yellow tape that's rated for use with petroleum. Regular white Teflon will deteriorate in the presence of gas or oil.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back