The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Your most recent welding pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat signatures in general are not a good way to measure penetration or fusion. Looking at the pictures, you're probably fine on the welded in plugs. There is plenty of melting back of the lip on that piece. Having owned one of those kits, I'd feel comfortable saying you're probably good on the trailing arm end if you have that much melting of the plug, because the plugs will be a very large thermal mass that will be harder to melt than the trailing arm.

With that said, nothing is certain and if you're not comfortable with your abilities on a critical suspension item, you should probably take it to an expert. It'd be a shame to gamble your life on something that should only cost $100 to complete.

I totally agree with you there.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Very excited to begin my journey TIG welding. Just received my AHP AlphaTig from Gamble!

Got to practice some. Still playing with some settings. I really need to work on feeding the filler and dabbing it and keeping the tungsten out of the puddle/ filler. So much harder to do than I thought it would be.

Got to practice some. Still playing with some settings. I really need to work on feeding the filler and dabbing it and keeping the tungsten out of the puddle/ filler. So much harder to do than I thought it would be.

Do you know anyone in your area that tigs decently to help give you pointers and show you some tricks? Just have patients and it will come.

Do you know anyone in your area that tigs decently to help give you pointers and show you some tricks? Just have patients and it will come.
Yes, I do have a few buddies that know a thing or two and they have helped tremendously. I think a big issue I was having was keeping the piece I was welding sturdy. I don't have a welding table yet so everything moves around. I have gotten much better since first practicing but still nowhere near comfortable with all the actions.

Yes, I do have a few buddies that know a thing or two and they have helped tremendously. I think a big issue I was having was keeping the piece I was welding sturdy. I don't have a welding table yet so everything moves around. I have gotten much better since first practicing but still nowhere near comfortable with all the actions.
Practice, practice, practice and keep asking questions and you'll show Major improvements over time.

Mild steel.

Aluminum

Stainless

Only been TIG welding for the last 6 months give or take a couple weeks. Still learning....prep on Aluminum is EVERYTHING, or at least 85% of it. That aluminum is an old pic...

looking good Ripper, TiG is so addicitive, I love it and use it any chance I get... and prep and fit up is 8% of ANY metal you want to come out looking good, aluminum is easy, turn your balance so it cleans nicely, pump heat into itandstart pushing filler...AStainless is the tricky bi***, too much heat and she warps, no back gas and she sugars and on and on and on LOL

Love stainless, but lately I'm really diggin the stainless to 1/2" mild flanges with 309:rocks::hellyeah::thumb:

HAha... I know what ya mean, acutally 309 is my go to rod for anything I want to be resistant to oxidizing and color upnicely... I use to keep some of every rod on hand but now days I make sure I have some 70s-2, 309, 4043 and 5356, and then I eep some 99% nickel in case I need to wrk on a casting, but hell,can't remember last time I bought some 308 (although I still have a few sticks, just don'e get much cal for it)

At work I have no control over filler metal other than to pick from what is supplied LOL. I'll try turning the balance all the way to clean on aluminum today since I Have a small bit to weld. Normally it stays on or near "balance".

Archer fab... DAMN man, are you a robot?

This is what I'm working with at work.

Nothing to fancy but solid with a lot of ass behind it if I need it. Will go from 1 amp to 400 according to the read out. Normally I stay between 45-85 depends on what it is and how thick. Normally use .035 thick filler rods.

I have had it up to 200 amps before on some thick mild steel. Thick mild is sooo stupid easy.

Just looked to see what our wire is, we have 308L & 70S-2. I don't know enough about rods for that to mean much to me.

ETA: switched the balance over to "Max cleaning" and actually liked it better... a lot of the mild steel we weld still has oily crap on it...seemed to help with getting the puddle to flow better and gave a much better looking end result. Hell I even started cleaning some of it with paint thinner. Which I normally don't do on the mild steel, normally just stainless and aluminum.

Last edited:
I wish I could weld like you guys!! I have a Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight tools) welder I bought 10 years ago...and it's still kicking (MIG welder w/out argon gas). I have welded stainless many times and it does work...but not even close to how pretty you guys' welds are!! ;)

Finally got this piece finished off. Actually ran into a little problem of shrinkage and warpage during the build and started running out of material so the end result has more welds than was originally necessary.Lol

The plan was just making the downpipe but ended up making a one piece downpipe and midsection instead. This way I eliminate a potential exhaust leak and help keep heat out of the engine bay at the same time. This was not really intended to be for performance.

Will NOT be doing this is again!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back