The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Xfer case cover punctured

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viseversa101

Proven Member
Mar 10, 2013
millbury, Ohio
420a at and the lower ball joint let loose ripping out the cv axel which in turn smacked the xfer case causing a leak. I have since replaced everything but my question is how to fill the xfer case. On an at idk, and if it's just trans fluid? I'd like to get it back on the road.

Need's a profile, very confusing.

In all fairness the OP calls it a xfer case so maybe he doesn't mean transfer case (I'm just going by the vagueness of previous posts). Only thing I can presume is either the transmission pan (try to replace it and not jb weld like you did with the rad. Jb weld will hold for awhile but it always starts to leak eventually), the oil pan (same advice) or god forbid the bell housing.
In case you didn't know, there was a recall on the lateral control arms due to dirt making it's way into the ball joint and drying it out. This is pretty common knowledge. And just because they may have been replaced once (you should always call your local dealer with the vin to see if it was done, if not you could get it for free) doesn't mean they're won't wear out again. Checking your ball joints is part of regular maintenance.

In all fairness the OP calls it a xfer case so maybe he doesn't mean transfer case (I'm just going by the vagueness of previous posts). Only thing I can presume is either the transmission pan (try to replace it and not jb weld like you did with the rad. Jb weld will hold for awhile but it always starts to leak eventually), the oil pan (same advice) or god forbid the bell housing.
In case you didn't know, there was a recall on the lateral control arms due to dirt making it's way into the ball joint and drying it out. This is pretty common knowledge. And just because they may have been replaced once (you should always call your local dealer with the vin to see if it was done, if not you could get it for free) doesn't mean they're won't wear out again. Checking your ball joints is part of regular maintenance.
FYI NHTSA recalls only last for 10 years. The recalls have long since expired. A dealer may honor one on good faith but they are no longer legally required to do so. We're on our own on all recalls.

OP it sounds like you poked a hole in the transaxle? You replaced the transaxle?
Yes it's automatic trans fluid. See your manual for what kind on a 420a.
Your post is super confusing and worded poorly. I'm not familiar with automatic transmissions. The service manual should provide you with all details on how to fill and what type of fluid to use. If you don't have a service manual (and you should) there are many available online. I prefer a paper copy but electronic will do.

OP, please rephrase your question in a new thread with more details and better grammar. I'm not trying to nitpick, but if your grammar is so bad that no one can understand you, it's hard for us to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back