The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wtb 2nd gen dsm but has this issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waulpalker117

Proven Member
Apr 14, 2015
Inverness, Florida
Recently I drove the eclipse again. Starts right up just fine. When I started driving, something was not right. The car hesitates and doesn't seem to want to go in boost. This was never a problem until it sat for the time it did.
Another thing, say I'm cruising at 40mph in 4th gear. If I shift into neutral and let the car coast to a red light, it shuts off on it's own. (Doesn't matter what gear or speed-just an example) It idles fine, but the car doesn't seem to like neutral when the wheels are rolling. When IN gear and cruising at any speed, or downshifting to a stop, the car will stay on and drive/idle normal. I have not driven it since. This car ran PERFECT before it sat for a little while

check your coolant level and your temp sensors. also ensure the ISC is clean of carbon/oil deposits.

how long did it sit? perhaps your injectors have gotten some shellac on the them and arent flowing fully.

Ok I do not know all the details as I wtb this dsm and this is what the seller said was wrong with it trying to figure out what kind of $$ it's going to be to try and fix I understand it could be a lot of things but I am just trying to get ideas of what it could be
Thanks
W

Yea it does have wide band it has the apexi afc neo could this just be a tuning issue I think it's strange that the car ran fine and then after sitting started to do this

Yea sorry meant to fix the title but didn't get to it yet I got it LOL and I'm just going off of the sellers word he did send me of the car running and it doesn't sound like it has a rough idle but hard to tell from a cell phone video

Yeah I wouldn't take the sellers word. Like most are saying do a boost leak test and maybe even do a compression test, to determine the motor's health. Check your basics like all the hoses n couplers to make sure they are nice and tight. Has the gas been replaced from sitting also? Any mods or is it stock?

Do you guys think it could be catastrophic like in need of either complete engine rebuild or new engine?

Some info-

Fully rebuilt motor. New pistons, rods, bearings, rings, etc… New head, valves, springs, seats, etc.. Work was done at a shop under 11k miles ago. No issues with the engine.
New ACT 2100 clutch kit w/ street disc, shift fork, and pivot ball all under 1000 miles ago. Have receipts for parts and labor. It shifts like a new car. ($1600)
Brand new wheels and tires, axles, struts and springs, control arms and ball joints.
All of these parts are under 2 years old.
20G turbo
Apexi Super AFC Neo
Greddy Type S BOV
Megan Racing exhaust elbow, downpipe and 3in exhaust
ACT 2100 clutch kit , lightweight flywheel
680cc Precision Turbo injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Punishment Racing FMIC kit
Aluminum radiator
Boost controller
Intake
Eibach springs
Front and rear strut bars
Bucket seats
Carbon fiber boost and oil psi gauges
HID's top and bottom
Pioneer CD player, 2 Sony subwoofers and 2 Sony amplifiers.
Might be forgetting a couple things. I'm throwing in all the stock / extra parts that I have for the car. Also have red OEM tail lights like new condition.

No, I think it's more than likely a boost leak or faulty sensor or even something to do the fuel system, either gunk up or bad tune. If it ran so good why was it parked for a long time. BTW the compression test is for peace of mind and it tells you if rebuilt went fine.

definitely the couplers if there old or the car has sat theres a chance they may have dry rotted or just may need to be tighten due to boost or the expansansion and contraction with weather

Ok thanks still not sure I want to spend the money on a dsm that doesn't run right vs one that does but it's in worse shape

I noticed that you mentioned the car has a Greddy Type-S. Is the BOV vented to atmosphere or recirculated? If it's VTA that could be a contributing problem to it wanting to die like it is. I'm not saying it's your problem, but I have encounter this issue myself.

How long did it sit? Gas has a surprisingly low shelf life, so it is possible that sitting for a long time with aging gas could have varnished, or gelled clogging up the fuel system. I had a similar issue about a month ago when I bought my newest DSM that had sat for awhile, replaced the fuel filter and pump, fresh tank of premium and no hesitation. I could be way far off base but this could be possible.

So it sounds like it needs some care giving. Kinda hard to say what it is, but probably a combination of boost leaks/vac leaks. Gas could use changing, plugs maybe change them:idontknow:. Do a compression test on it, as your doing that you will be able to look at the plugs. And check out piping for anything obvious. I do hope the Greddy has a pipe going back to the intake (recirculated BOV).

Is their a boost/vac gauge on the car? What is the vacuum at idle?

I'm thinking you can give it gas and keep it alive when coasting in neutral?
Does the wideband read rich when trying to boost?

Good luck to you, hope it passes the compression test. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back