The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Wrong octane fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff7249693

Probationary Member
Sep 26, 2017
Pascoag, Rhode_Island
So I did something really dumb. I havent driven my car in a while due to it being fixed. I got the car back and it ran good. So i went to get gas and stupidly put 87 octane in my car. I was just so used to putting 87 in my truck and didnt realize it till it was full. So i drove it for a few days not going into boost or driving hard at all. So i drove it to work yesterday morning and it was running completly normal. Then at the end of the day i went to start it and it ran really bad and would basically stall out if i didnt give it gas. Sounded like a misfire could hear a tickiing noise also. So today i went so start it after draining it and putting 93 in it and it woukd crank over and basically would shake rewlly bad and would not stay running at all. I changed my plugs a few days ago also, just because i felt like it. Is this related to the gas or something different. The car went from running completly normal to like absolute garbage in less than 9 hours. Im thinking its something electrical

I really don't think it was the fuel. I always put premium in my car (sadly the highest here is 91 Octane). Long ago though I did put regular fuel in back when I had my 1st turbo DSM and all it did was run a little shitty, but nothing major. Once premium was put back in it ran fin again. Didn't have anything like what you're describing though.

If you replaced your spark plugs before draining the gas and refilling it replace them again this sounds exactly like what I ran into with mine from bad plugs that were new.

The type of fuel that you put in it will really only affect you if you're getting on it.. while basic gas isn't ideal for our cars running 87 through and driving it without boosting won't hurt anything. 87 octane will just cause detonation much sooner than 91/93 would because it has less additives. you could of just put a can or 2 of octane booster in it and been fine. That is not your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back