The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Wrecked my car. Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlpineStar94

Probationary Member
May 12, 2016
Oxford, Mississippi
I got cut off and lost control on the interstate. Slid off the road and smacked the guard rail in the median. Didn't seem to damage any mechanical components only the entire driver side of the body. Which I can live with and plan to fix everything back up, except my rear left wheel is sitting crooked and prevented me from driving it home. So got back there and looked and this bar seems to be the only thing broken, is this a part of the control arm or is something else? Any help will be greatly appreciated. If this pic doesn't show enough I can take some more.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

However based solely on just the picture it does appear to be salvageable and yes i personally would repair Vs. another shell. But that's entirely based on capability, time and money.

Take more pics of the rear. and any and all damaged areas.
Others will be better able to help with them.

Sorry about your loss, although not is all loss.

Ok. I appreciate the replies. I will post more pictures. I plan to buy a shell, just would like to avoid swapping if possible. Because I absolutely love this car. I work at an auto shop and have adequate tools, so I can fix and replace the damaged pieces, but I'm young and new so I couldn't even tell what exactly I was looking at that was broken . I did attempt to drive and it seemed fine but at 30 mph it got hard to control. That's when I looked more extensively and noticed the broken bar. I don't mind driving it with dents, I can replace the panels over time and then paint. I also understand that quarterpanel has to be cut and welded but hopefully I can find a good body shop for it. (We don't do body work unfortunately). But anyways thanks for the tips guys. I'll post more pics next time I go back to where the car is parked.

Feel bad for you , that's the worst feeling in the world..... That- is this reality moment .... Sucks man
Yeah I agree. Thanks. Didn't even have this car for 2 months. It was kept in great condition for 16 years. I wreck it after a month and a half

1.) File insurance claim.
2.) Hope they total it out.
3.) after they total it out, PM me.
4.) Buy the vehicle back for aprox 10-20% of the totaled valued
5.) Use said money towards repairs
6.) Winning

Unless of course you would rather pay for it out of pocket to keep your ins rates from going up.

Unfortunately, that only works if you pay for full coverage or the accident is someone else's fault. He will never get the other guy to admit fault on that one especially if he just cut him off and never hit him. He is probably like me and just pays for liability only so when/if something like this happens we are SOL and have to fix it ourselves.

P.S. that looks like the toe link has snapped in that first pic. Probably why rear tire looks toed outward so far.

wow there is absolutely nothing wrong with that shell. i think the person that said 'buy a shell' is just hoping you will sell that one off cheap. the front end damage can mostly be replaced by bolting on new stuff. the rear quarter i would use some weld on wiggle wire and a come along and yank it out. i have seen cars get run over by suburbans and pulled out damage 10x worse than that.

do replace the arm that broke and make sure the car aligns fine. but there is nothing in that pic that makes me think that car is not worth keeping.

Well its been almost a year and progress has been very slow, but shes back on the road now only cosmetic damage left to fix. Ended up replacing rear toe arm, lower and upper control arms and knuckle. Also front inner and outer tre's and the lateral lower arm. With that being done I was looking for a donor for a new quarter panel but i found this on ebay, wondering if it is what i need or if anybody has ordered one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131867532629

a couple pics:

Attachments

• 20170423_120602.jpg
    20170423_120602.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20170423_120606.jpg
    20170423_120606.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170423_120616.jpg
    20170423_120616.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 100
Glad to see your back**
What was the final result.
Good to see her back in shape.

Contact the seller, and see if you can get pics .

You would need to do some spot welding. Other platforms have done this.

But you may be able to pull out your dents and straighten the rear panel .
Might be cheaper and still require about the same amount or less work.

those ebay panels are not even close to the same metal as factory. the ebay panels are acceptable if nothing else is available, but for heavens sake that rear quarter is not stretched out, just PULLS IT OUT and skim coat the crinkles with a THIN coat of bondo or some high build primer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stud-Gun-We...427730?hash=item4661acd652:g:bWwAAOSwJ4hY9NpP

or try a harbor freight if you have one close to you. if there is an auto class at the highschool or college near you they might loan you the tool. heck if nothing else sand down that panel and go to a body shop and say you want some wiggle wire welded on so you can pull the dents out.

replacing that panel is WAY more costly and more work.

I am still on the fence. I may try to pull it out just worried about wasting money if i cant make it look close to perfect.

The progress does feel great. The first test drive after repairing the rear suspension i was literally laughing out loud going down the road.

I am still on the fence. I may try to pull it out just worried about wasting money if i cant make it look close to perfect.

The progress does feel great. The first test drive after repairing the rear suspension i was literally laughing out loud going down the road.
Did you go with 2g or 3g control arms? Reason I asked was because used 3g stuff at my local salvage yard is pretty cheap.

@AlpineStar94 have you checked any salvage yards near you? I work at one up in NY and we do quarter cuts all the time, for a cut about the size that you need you'd be looking about $100 bucks (If it were up here, idk what Mississippi might charge)

Good to see it's back together and good luck!

Did you go with 2g or 3g control arms? Reason I asked was because used 3g stuff at my local salvage yard is pretty cheap.
2g. There is a red 99 at pull apart in memphis. An RS. Im waiting on a new rear lower arm with sway bar housing and links, the one i pulled from didnt have a sway bar

@AlpineStar94 have you checked any salvage yards near you? I work at one up in NY and we do quarter cuts all the time, for a cut about the size that you need you'd be looking about $100 bucks (If it were up here, idk what Mississippi might charge)

Good to see it's back together and good luck!
Good idea. Ill be looking into it. And thanks :thumb:

Well, ive been looking for a donor for a while and i found a 98 rs manual (crazy good deal) 'needs a clutch and timing is off.' i originally just wanted the parts but then i saw the car and somebody obviously spent some money on it. Now ive got some decisions to make. Why do i have to cut up a perfectly good car when mine is already wrecked? And btw does anybody possibly recognize the coilovers? I cant find a name brand, tires are new but rear inners are shot from the camber (blew one out pulling it home) so i imagine this thing is pretty low.

Attachments

• 20170531_205333.jpg
    20170531_205333.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170531_131228.jpg
    20170531_131228.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170531_205305.jpg
    20170531_205305.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 44
It wont upload my daylight pics. Ill take some more tomorrow

Attachments

• 20170531_205144.jpg
    20170531_205144.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 29
Dont get so down on urself ive had this for a few months its s 92 it actually had a pretty decentpaint n body till these damnfences and ditches started poppin up

What model is yours? I haven't seen any engine pics or mention of which model it is. I think your best route would be to find a wrecked DSM in a salvage yard and strip off the rear quarter panel and have it welded/blended onto yours. That way you're not cutting up a perfectly good one (I'd feel the same way), and you get to make yours look great again. Even if you can't find one locally, there's plenty of people all over that have salvage yards with broken DSMs that could cut one out for you and ship it. Maybe even Miller Import Parts could do that. I think it'd be worth a shot.

Well, ive been looking for a donor for a while and i found a 98 rs manual (crazy good deal) 'needs a clutch and timing is off.' i originally just wanted the parts but then i saw the car and somebody obviously spent some money on it. Now ive got some decisions to make. Why do i have to cut up a perfectly good car when mine is already wrecked? And btw does anybody possibly recognize the coilovers? I cant find a name brand, tires are new but rear inners are shot from the camber (blew one out pulling it home) so i imagine this thing is pretty low.

The coilovers look like cheap eBay one's, just new and shiny. I bet they ride like a mining cart (that's how the ones on my mazda are, I hate them).

I'm assuming your car is a gst? I didn't see mention of it, or I missed it. The gs is clean looking, but swapping anything other than body panels is going to be a nightmare. You could always do an evo drivetrain swap, but thats still a large undertaking, and may require fundage i.e.: part-out or sell your car.

Parts and money (to extent obvi) is not a problem nor is tools or labor. Just dont know which one i want to build now LOL :D engine pics
Edit: 99 is gst 98 is rs

Attachments

• 20170531_205049.jpg
    20170531_205049.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 43
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back