The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Would you run these cams?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverex

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2005
south, New_Jersey
I have a built motor with high mileage that I’m going to do a quick rebuild since timing belt tensioner went. Going to rebuild head, reseal engine, rings, hone, bearings, etc. Car is a weekend toy that I do DD occasionally.

Took cams out and they had some surface rust that cleaned up real well with an SOS pad but there is one lobe that has some pitting. It is at the bottom and I’d be happy if I got another 10k out of this setup. Cams are Kelford 272s

Pictures of damage attached

Last edited:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The pitting can be felt with finger nail. Wondering if they can ran as is, polished out, worth getting welded/fixed, or is it fubar

Is it all located on the base of the cam lobes?
It would be risky but thank goodness we have roller rockers. I would think the most it would do is wear a roller out. If it were a flat tappet cam I would throw it away. Polish it a dab and see if the pitting can be managed. Just what I would do if they were mine. Maybe some 2000 grit paper to just try to smooth the pitting. Its a toss up, if you have a spare $600 then just buy new. Kelford 272's are nice cams. Ashame to have to get new if you can salvage those. Are ALL the lobes that way?

Your second picture showing the pitting at the end of the cam would worry me a lot. I would trash it just because of this.

Or send them to delta cams, I had worse pitting on my tomei cams and they repaired and saved them for me. They only charge 125.00 a camshaft so I think it’s cost effective.

It’s only the one cam and that one lobe. At the end of cam there is alil pitting too but it’s not on a lobe. I usually wouldn’t run something like this if it was all the lobes. I really don’t wanna spend too much money on them unless it for sure will make it a 100% since I’m pretty sure I could just buy one cam new

Guess I’ll try some 2000grit paper and take it to a local machine shop for their opinion. Worst case I’ll just send it to delta if they will fix if for only 125. If they will do it for that cheap doesn’t even really make financial sense to try and have a machine shop polish it

That can be spray welded and ground back down, the part on the end alone would stop me from ever using it like that.

I don't think it's worth the risk. Clearly there is bad wear going on, and while you're apart is the time to fix issues you find. It sucks they are aftermarket and expensive, not like you can just throw a stock replacement set in and go. I'd send them out or buy new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back