The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

World Time Attack Challenge 2013 Sydney, Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome built!
Finally a WTAC Eclipse!
Never seen or heard of someone who had this until now.
I wish you the best of luck and great fun and many safe miles!

I have thought about it. We have always had bigger fish to fry though. Right now we have to focus on reliability and not just for this race but so we have a stable platform to build into the future with.

:D

Thanks for proving that FWD cars are capable of racing against AWD/RWD.

I have thought about it. We have always had bigger fish to fry though. Right now we have to focus on reliability and not just for this race but so we have a stable platform to build into the future with.

Interesting. Any chance it's something that you're thinking of possibly trying in the future? Once you get your car at a reliability point that you're comfortable with that is.

.4b11 transplate is where it is at.That being said, oh the time it will consume and money.

Lol. It's funny that you mention that. A couple years ago I was SERIOUSLY looking in to doing that. Even sourced a 4B11 from a friend that had a rod fail in his '08 GSR. But ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I didn't really see any MAJOR improvements with that platform, other than the weight savings. With Kiggly having figured out how to implement essentially the same MIVEC system found on the 4B11, possibly even with both camshafts, and the 4G64 having a taller deck height for a better R/S ratio, I couldn't really find a reason to continue with that project.

Maybe someday... If I stumble across a great deal on a 2G AWD shell... And have a LOT of free time... And a bottomeless wallet wouldn't hurt. :D

Weight DOES play a huge role, but for only around a 27-28# weight savings, I would think the extra displacement of the 4G64 that Andrew is using would offset the slight weight advantage that the 4B11 has. And even IF you stroked the 4B11, I doubt that you'd have an engine nearly as reliable since you'd be end up with an engine with a R/S ratio of only 1.52, compared to the 1.56 that Andrew likely has. And that is with only a 2.2L setup, as compared to a 2.4L. And if R/S ratio doesn't matter, as some people argue when it comes to race motors, then the 4G64 always has the 106mm crank 2.6L option. But that BC crank just sounds like an accident happening. Of course, I could be wrong too. :confused:

thanks for the kind words all! I have some more update photos. Some CFD images and the engine bay coming together!

Attachments

• 1209179_361258894006749_1720686131_n.jpg
    1209179_361258894006749_1720686131_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 1275038_10151688437866523_180887338_o.jpg
    1275038_10151688437866523_180887338_o.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 920435_363188410480464_870340695_o.jpg
    920435_363188410480464_870340695_o.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 165
engine bay is coming together. GT Auto guys did up a very nice coil bracket for the Denso coils. All new intercooler piping, cooling system has been redone and all the support structure for the huge front downforce loads is complete.

Attachments

• engineBayTopView.jpg
    engineBayTopView.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 210
So I hinted at this question on your facebook post but how is the coolant filled? Asking because I put a surge tank in like yours and afterwards realized with no radiator fill point on the main lines filling coolant is a terribly slow process as the surge tank's connections are tiny. I ended up adding a dummy cap fill point at the stock location.

Also, is that mounting plate for the coils composite or aluminum? If the latter was thinking you might save some weight with a thin composite sheet for the bulk of the shape (or even one trimmed just like you have there) and spacers just for the coils mounts (I have the same coils on my car using this method). I'm not a weight freak but I know you are hence me mentioning it.

So I hinted at this question on your facebook post but how is the coolant filled? Asking because I put a surge tank in like yours and afterwards realized with no radiator fill point on the main lines filling coolant is a terribly slow process as the surge tank's connections are tiny. I ended up adding a dummy cap fill point at the stock location.

Also, is that mounting plate for the coils composite or aluminum? If the latter was thinking you might save some weight with a thin composite sheet for the bulk of the shape (or even one trimmed just like you have there) and spacers just for the coils mounts (I have the same coils on my car using this method). I'm not a weight freak but I know you are hence me mentioning it.

The fill is at the cap that you see up near the cowl cover in the top left of the engine bay.

The coil plate is alloy and it will be light later when we get done with it, right now we want to just make it out there! Time is very short.

Well, we added another sponsor to our race program! Competition Clutch has supported us with a twin-disk clutch assembly; it is their Extreme TMI MULTI / HYBRID 184MM RIGID TWIN assembly with bronze ferrometallic race friction disks with heat treated hubs and heavier street flywheel. The entire assembly weighs in at 20#4oz which is 12oz heavier than the current clutch on the car. It also utilizes their forged clutch fork, pivot ball and conical TOB. It is a really nice piece and has very nice heavy-duty rivets attaching the hubs to the disks. The flywheel is 4140 steel 1-piece with integrated ring gear. We have 6-Bolt AWD and FWD flywheels available to use with this clutch so if we lose our primary AWD transmission case we can swap in the backup FWD transmission with a simple flywheel swap and run the same clutch assembly.

Totally stoked to run the clutch assembly! Thank you Competition Clutch for your support of our race program!

Are the canards removed and is that the final state? Also, are there no sponsors stickers? Asking these questions based on the latest facebook pictures.

So good to see it on the track again!

1380669_698469880165521_1624203721_n_zpsa7ca427c.jpg

1385498_612219778820152_2046998265_n_zps29f855cb.jpg

Agreed... it is a thing of beauty to see this car competing again. And I always find myself laughing everytime I see a picture or video of guys jumping up and down on the front splitter. Lol. Now THAT is proof of quality workmanship.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back