The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 1G Won't shift into 1st or 2nd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDonkey

Probationary Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sherwood, Arkansas
I've done some searching and still can't find a answer. My problem is my 92 Laser RS won't shift into 1st or 2nd. I just put a new clutch in it and this is when the problem started. Yes the clutch is bleed good it with a new slave and master cylinder. I don't think it's a cable adjustment because I can take off all the cables and still can't get in it 1st or 2nd gear. I don't think it's a broken shift fork because it just started doing this, worked fine before. It's got royal purple tranny fluid in it. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I got it fixed. To fix it I unhooked the select lever cable and made sure the shifter in car was in neutral. The cable was about 1/4" longer than the stud on the select lever so I adjusted it and it fixed it. But now I got a new problem with injectors
Make sure the white plastic shift shoe is present and in good shape at the trans shifter. If you unbolted any of this during trans removal you couldve dropped it.

Ok I'll try and find it and see if it's there and the condition it's in. Thanks

I looked for the shoe but never really found it. I did notice the the gear shifter in the car the bushings seemed to have a lot of play. Is there. Rebuild kit for it? And also if I take all the cables off the trans how would I get it into 1st and 2nd gear manly? I haven't been able to figure out the right combo yet

Yes their are rebuild kits. Check jnztuning.com or other vendors whichever you prefer. most vendors have rebuild kits and upgraded bushings.

I found a bushing kit for the ends of the cables under the hood and I found a washer and bushing kit for the shifter base to the floor or car. But I'm looking for the bushings on the shifter itself mine have lots of slack and you gotta wiggle it just right to get the select lever cable to move right

I got all new bushing for the shift and still no luck. I guess next I'll take the select level shoe off and measure it. When I'm in the car and watching the shift cables the select lever cable will move backwards and the middle position but it doesn't wanna move forward.

Take the cable off and push the lever by hand. If it works you have a cable problem. If it doesnt you have a trans problem

The cable will move freely. It seems like the select lever will only move a given direction depending on what gear the trans is in of that makes sense

I can pull up on the shift linkage at the trans but can't get it to push down. Am I suppose to be able to push down on it

Yes and pushing down is 1st and 2nd. If you cant push down my guess is you broke a shift rail end and the broken piece is lodged in there. Other posibilities exist but all of them require tranny drop and complete disassembly.

If something was broke would it make noises in other gears. I don't see how it could break just by replacing the clutch and flywheel

Something else may have already broken and simply ended up there because the trans gets in positions it normally wouldn't upon removal. Alternately if the levers were jammed forany reason an alreafy weak rail could be broken. No way to know and speculating wont find the answer. The mechanism is very very simple. If it doesnt move with nothing attached to it I see no other possibilities.

So I took the select lever bracket off and was able to push down the shifter and get into 1 and 2 gear so the problems is in the bracket

There is a little white rectangle piece that's on the lever and I'm wondering if it is suppose to sit a certain way. It got dark before I could mess with it. I'm use to working on trucks these little cars are different for me

I got it fixed. To fix it I unhooked the select lever cable and made sure the shifter in car was in neutral. The cable was about 1/4" longer than the stud on the select lever so I adjusted it and it fixed it. But now I got a new problem with injectors

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back