The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Won't go in gear when car is running.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayTeeGST

Proven Member
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego, California
So, this is a weird issue to me. I had the master and slave cylinder replaced 3 months ago, pretty sure that's not the issue. About a week ago my shift cable snapped, I replaced it Thursday no worries, went like a mile then the car all of a sudden wouldn't go into any gear at a stop sign while trying to down shift. My brother got it into 2nd some how, and we got it parked. Adjusted the clutch petal we threaded it all the way out, haven't adjusted it the other way out.. We bleed the clutch system, was pressure in line, no air in system, but the clutch felt spongy. But when the car isn't running it goes in gear great, clutch feels good. Once I turn the car on it idels smoothly until I try to put in gear then it starts idling rough and wont go in gear at all. Please advise :)

Female that doesn't look like a man, interested in mechanics....Beware of leg humpers. As to your shifting issue, sounds like it may be time to pull the trans and have a look at the actual clutch/pressure plate. So long as the master/slave and pedel setup are working propperly I don't know of any reason aside from an issue with the actual disk/pp. And throwout bearings tend to make a lot of bad noise when there's something wrong with them.

Last edited:
Shifting with car off tells you nothing except that your shift forks are likely ok. Sounds like a clutch issue and you've already ruled out hydraulics. That leaves clutch itself and clutch fork.

Just double check the hydraulics . Have one person in the car and push on the clutch pedal while another person looks at the clutch fork . make sure that there is enough travel to release the clutch . If you see it move enough then pull the trans and check the clutch and pressure plate.

As that is what I figured it could be, my brother and I was saying clutch maybe needing to be replaced. It seems like one thing after another, the previous owner did not care for this car. Thanks everyone !!

Had this same problem on my talon and since the stock engine bay is so packed with stuff i couldn't see that the bracket holding the shifter lines in place on top of the trans had fallen off... Stupid problem easy fix. Make sure you check over the simple stuff before you go head deep into this.

Dame thank you for that, I was about to get an expensive clutch, and take tranny out . I'm gonna check that in the a.m. and see if that's what it is, cross your fingers !!!! Lol

On the top of the trans. The cables sit in them and lock in with a u shaped clip. I believe that's what he is referring to. Sounds like your clutch took a crap or broke to me.

Oh okay cause I set that up and I hope the clips was put on I didn't check if they did. But for the most part you guys think it's the clutch . I don't understand why is goes in gear when it's off but not turned on . I have to look at it more.

When nothing is moving trans doesnt have to do anything. This also points to clutch and pretty much rulescout cabke issues.

If you check the simple stuff and its not that my money is on a clutch too. The car shifts when it is off because the transmission isn't moving and takes away the stress of shifting where when the car is on (if the clutch is bad) everything is locked up and makes it really hard to change gears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back