The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

will a 1997 Neon tranny fit my 420a Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
wind, ON_Canada
I've found a transmission for my 420 manual ..... I've been told my Talon has a NV-t350 and the seller is claiming his 1997 manual neon tranny is the same.....

will they be a direct swap?

the neons run the nv-350. However, there are two versions; a 3.55 final drive and a 3.94 final drive. More than likely the neon one is a 3.55; unless its an ACR or R/T (but the R/T's didnt come out until 98) I beleive the Talon version is a 3.94 final drive? So just somehting to consider.

Also, it won't be a direct swap, since the neons were cable driven transmissions and the dsm was hydraulic. You'll have to swap bellhousings... but that shouldn't a huge deal.

it's a 3.94 tranny and uses a cable clutch...... but it should work?

the owner is asking $200 and claims it's in perfect condition.

p.s. thanks for the info.

here is an update for those that might have the same question.

yes I would have had to swap the bell housing, the 1997 Neon tranny is cable while the Talon transmission is hydraulic.

this would have been ok except that along with needing to swap bell housings you also need to do something with the shifting arms on the outside of the tranmission.... the bushing mounts aren't the same and the Neon mounts are notably shorter.... what's worse is they are pressed, peened and welded.

decided not to buy the transmission, the guy wanted $200 which was too much anyway but on top of the other hassles while not insurmountable .... well if you have your transmission off you may as well fix it or find the right one from a pick and pull yard IMHO..... yeah it could be done but I don't personally recommend it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back