The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Why water injection is the best mod I've done in years...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoa there, why do you want to run 9.5:1 pistons at high boost on pump gas? That is just asking for trouble.

Water does not compress much if any. If you use too much at one time, you can hydrolock the motor. I would think that you run a higher risk of this as well with such high compression pistons.

I completlt understand about hydrolocking the motor(saw first hand to a 3g civic)and I know water does not compress for shi!t. All I really want to do is DRAMATICLY low the charge air...in the future, we are talking Air/Liquid and all. If it can be helped, I would want this to be a mist by the time it even passes through the throttle body. My whole theroy behind high compression is simple. For everyday driving, boost down to 10, pump gas=reliability(to an extent) Race gas, high boost, a ton of compression=Tons of power. Instead fo having to buy a new turbo every 6 months, and then injectors, and every other pice of supporting equiptment, Ill just bulletproof the motor(yeah right) and put the money were I really need it, Like spelling lessons. This is all a big want for now, I am no wher near that point yet.
Thanks for the chart laser92awd, and thanks for repling so quickly.

Originally posted by pimpngear
All I really want to do is DRAMATICLY low the charge air

If that is your main goal you will find that nitrous does a MUCH better job. Water Injection is primarily used to combat knock. It will not lower charge air temps nearly as much as nitrous would, and if you are going to build the engine up anyway, might as well build it for nitrous.

Jonathan

Propane injection might be a better idea with super high compression. Beyond that, i think there are much better ways to make high power than high compression like that. High compression and reliability do not go hand in hand, even with low street boost. All it takes is a bad batch of pump gas.

But yeah, nitrous or propane would probably be better for you if you are set on 9.5:1

Johnathan, I see that you have one nozzle on the IC and one into the upper pipe. Of course the big one is actually spraying into the intake charge. But do you have one spraying the intercooler itself? On the outside? Or did you plumb it into the unit?

BTW, this is the best I have seen H2O injection work. Great job.

The nozzle is placed in the inlet pipe of the intercooler - it sprays on the inside.

For years I had experimented with external "intercooler sprayers" with very little benefit. Here in the Florida heat my intercooler would become heat soaked very quickly even with an external sprayer. Even with the water injection I expect to dial back my settings when we get up to mid 90's through the summer. But it won't be as much of a reduction as in the past.

I can also say for a certainty now that my car cools down faster after a run. I used to have to idle for quite a while. Now, because the exhaust temperatures are lower to begin with, my cooldown period is noticeably faster.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Silent2g
same kit i have on my 90 tsi

the reason you run the "smurf piss" is due to the fact it won't freeze in the winter time.
49% water
49% methonal {small detonation properties}
1% blue dye
49+49+1=99 whats the other 1%?

I know I personally don't have anymore room for another tank in my trunk with my system. I have a 15lb bottle for my 75 tb shot and a 10lb bottle for my n-ter cooler. I ended up getting the aquamist 2s system for $660 shipped.

Here's what I use for a water tank, it's a Jaz 3 gal. fuel cell which gives me all the capacity I need for going full throttle for 20 minutes at a time on a road course.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I put together my DIY WI system using aquamist nozzles, switches and a Shurflo 100psi pump. Works great :thumb:

RallyxDave, maybe you can put togeather a Vfaq on that? I for one would be greatly interested. Part number, flow rates, hose diameter etc.

If not, I understand, but it would be great if you can :)

since my last post, I have installed a system on my car. Aquamist crack valve and nozzle, Shur-flo pump(100psi), SMC nozzle and lines.

A guy in the club set it up, very nicely done.

As for the tank, I used my rear squirter tank. It is good for 2+ weeks of driving.

Bohrn, maybe you can put togeather a Vfaq on that? I for one would be greatly interested.

If not, I understand, but it would be great if you can

:D Copied your above statement, but I am seriously interested.

Guys, WI is a very awesome thing! had my system for over a month now.

I like to push my car fairly hard and the WI is what allows me to do this.

My system is put together with a DIY formula from sources on the web. Here are a few links and "VFAQS" already done.

http://members.cox.net/stevemonroe/AlcoholInjMod.html
http://cybrina.mine.nu/water/
http://www.buickgn.com/alcoholinjectionsystem.htm
http://users.frii.com/maphill/wi.html
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
http://www.turbomirage.com/water3.html

WI and meth injection is very strong in the turbo buick crowd. MAKE SURE to read through this forum to find out about what to inject, how to inject it and so on

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

hey thats good stuff there Smokey ;)

Here is a multipage post that has some very good info and a partial VFAQ for 2g AWD. http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5198&highlight=water+injection+group+buy

I don't have a digital camera sorry.

as for some helpful hints, the biggest ones are these.

I used my rear squirter tank for the resevoir.

I put the pump in the area behind the drivers side rear arm rest, behind those external "vents" below the b-pillar. It fits nicely there.

I ran the pressure line along the drivers side door sill, and up under the dash and out thru the steering column boot.

Mounted the solenoind on the firewall, as well, the pressure switch.

Sorry, best I can do now :(

I will answer any questions I can tho. :) And while I can't speak for Kimyee, he is very knowing and a nice guy, so he may help you as well.

Aweome, thanks guys...I have been tossing back the water injection idea for sometime now and I think I will use it since it would be able to run more boost on pump gas. You'll probably be getting a lot of PMs from me in the near future :D

These some pics of my WI setup using Aquamist parts and front wind screen water tank and pump :D

Attachments

• MK01.JPG
    MK01.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,992
  • MK02.JPG
    MK02.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,970
  • MK05.JPG
    MK05.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,982
  • MK03.JPG
    MK03.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,959
This is kinda a newbie question but i havent read much on water injection. Does it give you HP? Also how much water does it use up? Is the set up hard?

tom1995tsi said:
This is kinda a newbie question but i havent read much on water injection. Does it give you HP? Also how much water does it use up? Is the set up hard?

I got this from the net

"Water injection systems are only needed in turbo charged engines. The system has been around for a long time since it was already used in some World War II aircraft engines. A water injection system works similarly to a fuel injection system only it injects water instead of fuel. In high pressure turbocharged engines the air/fuel mixture that enters the cylinders can explode prematurely (before the spark plug ignites, effect also known as engine knock) due to the extreme engine environment conditions. This situation results in severe engine damage in the long run (piston piercing). To avoid damaging the engine, water is injected in the combustion chambers in order to provide a water/air/fuel mixture which not only burns more efficiently and avoids spontaneous detonation but also provides additional cylinder and piston cooling. There are mainly three variations of water injection devices. They are dependent on the location of the water injector(s). The first technique consists of injecting water at the entrance of the intake manifold. The second injects water at the exit pipe of the intercooler. The third technique injects water at the entry of the intercooler and is only used in competition vehicles. In this latter variation most of the in-cylinder detonation prevention is done by injecting additional fuel which is used as coolant (i.e. not burned)."

A really close friend of mine has an 11 sec AWD talon that has a 20g on it with methonal. He is running pump gas[91 CA gas] with with methonal injection and boosting 21 PSI daily driven. Its a really nice setup. Has anyone here tried using methanol instead of water/alky mix? He gets it buy small barrell for like 30 bucks a barrell and it goes months on end on one barrell. Ill talk to him and see if he can get pictures and info for you guys.

P.S. methanol has an octane rating as well not sure of what it is plus it has very good cooling agents.

Heres a link to some info on methanol injection[its showed how its used on V dubs but you get the idea]
http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/methanol.htm

Heres a sideways picture of my friends snow performance kit...instead of alky he runs straight methanol and it cools and adds octane. As you can see he placed the bottle and pump where the side mount intercooler used to be, you have complete access to the top of the bottle to re-fill it from the engine bay. Very nice if you ask me :D

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back