Why is there smoke coming out of here?

Posted by scorpio87m1, May 7, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

1. scorpio87m1

scorpio87m1 Banned Member

Miami, Florida
    Why is there smoke coming out of here? Does this mean i have a bad head gasket? And what is that sound?
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRIa1JPuVRs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRIa1JPuVRs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  2. joescool2008

joescool2008 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    It looked like it was coming from the exhaust manifold, or valve cover. Have you done a compression test on your cylinders to determine if it's the headgasket? As for the sound, i could only imagine it being a turbo problem, but I've never heard anything like that from any DSM.
  3. Calan

Calan DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Agreed; it looks like it's coming from the exhaust manifold, but here's a few things you can do:

1. As mentioned, do a compression test
    2. Do a leak-down test. It will tell you quite a lot about what is going on.
    3. Use some Seafoam to search for exhaust leaks.

As for the sound...do you mean the "beeping" sound? If so, I haven't got a clue.
  4. lou schmouder

lou schmouder Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    dalton, Georgia
    I would check to see if you have a leak on the exhaust manifold first its a little easier to check the the head gasket and you would also h\get a better look to see if you blow the head gasket

I would check to see if you have a leak on the exhaust manifold first its a little easier to check the the head gasket and you would also get a better look to see if you blow the head gasket
  5. 16g-2ndgen

16g-2ndgen Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    FLW, Missouri
    Looks to be a exhaust leak.
  6. scorpio87m1

Miami, Florida
    why is the smoke blue tho
  7. gofer

gofer Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    i watched the video and agree with everyone above ^^^

the smoke is blue because your burning oil and it could be a couple of things, you won't know for sure until you do the above.
    I wasn't able to see what bov your running but my 1g bov made the same whistle at 3-4 lbs of vacuum, i could get it to whistle on command even being recirc'd. ;)

there might not be anything wrong with your motor, you might just need a new valve cover gasket. hopefully everything checks good man...

:dsm:
  8. scorpio87m1

Miami, Florida
    i hope so to and i do have a crush 1g bov