Why is there smoke coming out of here?

Posted by scorpio87m1, May 7, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. scorpio87m1

scorpio87m1 Banned Member

Miami, Florida
    Why is there smoke coming out of here? Does this mean i have a bad head gasket? And what is that sound?
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRIa1JPuVRs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRIa1JPuVRs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  2. joescool2008

joescool2008 Proven Member

Terre Haute, Indiana
    It looked like it was coming from the exhaust manifold, or valve cover. Have you done a compression test on your cylinders to determine if it's the headgasket? As for the sound, i could only imagine it being a turbo problem, but I've never heard anything like that from any DSM.
  3. Calan

Calan DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Agreed; it looks like it's coming from the exhaust manifold, but here's a few things you can do:

1. As mentioned, do a compression test
    2. Do a leak-down test. It will tell you quite a lot about what is going on.
    3. Use some Seafoam to search for exhaust leaks.

As for the sound...do you mean the "beeping" sound? If so, I haven't got a clue.
  4. lou schmouder

lou schmouder Proven Member

dalton, Georgia
    I would check to see if you have a leak on the exhaust manifold first its a little easier to check the the head gasket and you would also h\get a better look to see if you blow the head gasket

I would check to see if you have a leak on the exhaust manifold first its a little easier to check the the head gasket and you would also get a better look to see if you blow the head gasket
  5. 16g-2ndgen

16g-2ndgen Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    FLW, Missouri
    Looks to be a exhaust leak.
  6. scorpio87m1

Miami, Florida
    why is the smoke blue tho
  7. gofer

gofer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    i watched the video and agree with everyone above ^^^

the smoke is blue because your burning oil and it could be a couple of things, you won't know for sure until you do the above.
    I wasn't able to see what bov your running but my 1g bov made the same whistle at 3-4 lbs of vacuum, i could get it to whistle on command even being recirc'd. ;)

there might not be anything wrong with your motor, you might just need a new valve cover gasket. hopefully everything checks good man...

:dsm:
  8. scorpio87m1

Miami, Florida
    i hope so to and i do have a crush 1g bov