The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Why does the underside of my valve cover look like this? (pic enclosed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98FWDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
VirginiaUS
ok, i am replacing the valve cover gasket and when i took my valve cover off this is what the underside looked like....why does it look this way and is it bad???

Attachments

• underside of VC.jpg
    underside of VC.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,490
ryanman said:
No, it's not.
I have to agree with this.

Silver to tan usually indicates meticulous oil changes and a cool engine. Tan and light brown discoloration usually signifies normal maintenence. Dark brown can signify long oil change frequencies or overheating.

But that - that just looks insane. I can't say I've seen a valve cover that discolored in a long time.

Is it possible that the cover came off of a toasted engine?

psychlow said:
Is it possible that the cover came off of a toasted engine?

It is possible, I bought the car from a foreign lady selling for her husband who was out of town on a business trip. After purchasing it, when I would work on the car I would notice different bolts/pieces missing, the transmission has a big weld down it, the rear driver side fender well is missing the black plastic cover piece, it didnt have a sunroof shade, etc. . . . . . . .I think that it was wrecked,yet carfax shows a fine report :confused:

98FWDSM said:
I think that it was wrecked,yet carfax shows a fine report :confused:

Carfax is just next to worthless, IMO.

Yeah, sounds like you had an idiot working on the car, unfortunately. I bet they're one of the people just like me who never suspected a valve cover made of metal could crack easier than one made of plastic. And I'm not exaggerating - the ABS plastic valve covers on my Mustang have handled way more torque than the Mitsu aluminum valve cover will take before cracking.

Plastic gives, aluminum doesn't, or at least not much.

It doesn't help that people think they need to torque it down like they might a V8's cover to stop leaks when what they really need to do is replace the gasket.

Steve

how was the compression on the car? that to me looks like regular old carbon build up. do you run synthetic in it? what did the dude used to put in it?

RamenPride said:
carbon buildup on the valve cover? I'd expect it on the pistons, valves, etc. but not under the valve cover
If the rings are shot, the carbon can make its way into the crankcase....

I've pulled at least five different 4G63 valvecovers and I have never seen anything like that.OMG I've seen the brown (which seems to be normal for a high mileage 4G63) but nver the black and that much of it. My 98 Eclipse was like brand new underneath with 56K miles.

It's fairly obvious that possibly before you owned the car it was overheated to the point where it cooked a few litres of oil. Hopefully the owner repaired anything wrong at that time as overheating like that can reduce the life of an engine greatly.

I work at an auto part store and see this a lot, it is from people who never change thier oil and just add every so often. This is a sign that you need a good oil system flush and clean.

I pull one off at a junk yard and it looked kinda like that...bead blasted it and removed as much of the beads as possible...looks much better now :D

Anyhow my stock one with 50K miles looked super clean on the underside of it. :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back