The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 2GNT Why does my car just shut off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystall7275

Probationary Member
Jun 1, 2011
buckeye, Arizona
:confused: My car will shut off while i'm on the freeway, and wont restart for about ten minutes or so. I changed the coil pack, had my fuel pump checked that's not it, What else could it be?

Solution
Well i think we got it. This car has been a battle and i feel like we won with a 200 mile test drive and no stalling and its running like a top. i did a lot of unnecessary work to figure it out but most the parts were free so i cant complain.

Changed out the computer wire harness and comp with no luck. Changed out the cam sensor and coil with no luck. No codes for misfire and it was losing ignition. Dragged myself around the wrecking yard in 105deg heat again searching cars to find a CPS, found one in an Avenger, and one in a single overhead cam Neon. The avenger had the 420a but was a 96 the neon was a 99. Go figure it would be the neons that worked and i almost chucked it because i didn't think the pinset looked right.

Thanks for...
Open the window on the top of the timing cover to make sure your belt it still there.

I've experienced a similar problem before, not with a dsm, but it was due to a tired motor basically. I could drive for about 2 or 3 hours, then it would die and wouldn't restart for 20-45 minutes.

Also another similar experience was due to a faulty relay, so check your relays for fuel pump, ign. Etc.

Also check your battery cables and grounds.

Post back with a better description and maybe someone else can give you more to go on.

During the 10 minutes it will not start. Do you verify fuel and spark?
Next time, see if it will fire with a little starter fluid sprayed in the intake (don't go crazy with it because it tends to dry out your cylinder walls). If it does you have a fuel problem.

really need more info but it has to be electrical issue do you have a check engine light if so find out the code an go from there if not start at the battery and work your self in. Corrosion and bad grounds can cause this problem.

its not a fuel pump because the pump stops working after the car is running if it was an injector the engine would have a misfire code it has to be elecrical

It wouldnt be the first time the ecu would have to be replaced too, the 89-94 had more problems with this but it is 2011 so that 1998 is getting old

really need more info but it has to be electrical issue do you have a check engine light if so find out the code an go from there if not start at the battery and work your self in. Corrosion and bad grounds can cause this problem.

its not a fuel pump because the pump stops working after the car is running if it was an injector the engine would have a misfire code it has to be elecrical

It wouldnt be the first time the ecu would have to be replaced too, the 89-94 had more problems with this but it is 2011 so that 1998 is getting old

since when does a fuel pump turn OFF after the car is running?

unplug your pump relay while the car is running and see what happens. :rolleyes:

sorry meant to say "If the fuel pump stopped working after the car was running and if it was an injector the ecu should have a misfire code sorry long day

sorry meant to say "If the fuel pump stopped working after the car was running and if it was an injector the ecu should have a misfire code sorry long day

hey long days are understandable, had one myself today LOL, I've never seen an ecu throw any type of code for a failing fuel pump though.

Well i think we got it. This car has been a battle and i feel like we won with a 200 mile test drive and no stalling and its running like a top. i did a lot of unnecessary work to figure it out but most the parts were free so i cant complain.

Changed out the computer wire harness and comp with no luck. Changed out the cam sensor and coil with no luck. No codes for misfire and it was losing ignition. Dragged myself around the wrecking yard in 105deg heat again searching cars to find a CPS, found one in an Avenger, and one in a single overhead cam Neon. The avenger had the 420a but was a 96 the neon was a 99. Go figure it would be the neons that worked and i almost chucked it because i didn't think the pinset looked right.

Thanks for the help tho forum. Will post pics soon.

oh yah, i also got the stock spoiler for it today for $12.50 and turns out the center brake light works LOL not bad for under 15 bucks and it looks sweet :thumb:

So in conclusion if it loses fire and its not kicking codes it could be the CPS, real good place to start its located next to the oil filter and only requires a 10 wrench to remove. So easy a girl did it LOL

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back