The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Why does my alternator belt squeal so much on initial start up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njdaewoo

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2009
Piscataway, New_Jersey
Hello all,
My question is, whenever my car sits overnight. The initial cranking in the morning causes the alternator belt to really squeal. I replaced the belt and adjusted the new belt's tension several times but it has no effect on the morning squeal! After about 30 second or so the squeal stops and its good for the rest of the day. Is this a sign the alternator is on its way out? Thanx for any replies...

I had this issue on my 95 GST not 3 months ago. When I was doing a timing job I replaced all accessory belts, then re-tightened to spec. The squeek went away.

How many of you are using OEM belts? After dealing with aftermarket belts squealing for years, I only run OEM now on all my cars. Never make noise.

Ive had the same problem many times. belt tension was too loose even though it felt tight enough. also you probably will have to retension new belts a couple times considering new belts stretch after being run for around 500 miles. or so they say.

Oh yea, Probaly the hormonic balancer, that happend to me, except mine busted and the belt popped. The belt was slapping aginst the block and the car didnt want to get any where. before this happend it was squiling too.

I'm new to these forums I have a 2g 99 eclipse rs and I have the same squel when start up and sometimes if I rev the engine, I figured my alt belt may be loose ### it feels like it there some play and deflection on the belt,only happens on startup for 15-30sec. I also have a battery light on my dash what does that mean?

Had this problem but I was putting the timing belt on and where the pulleys go I sprayed brake cleaner and wiped it down and the alternator doesn't make that annoying noise any more.

I have only had the belt squealing problem twice in the twelve years I have owned my car. Both times are due to the jay racing relocation kit cracking. Spent the afternoon moving it back to the front of the engine.

well i used the bar of soap trick on 2 cars(touch a bar of soap to where it rubs for a second or two). first car it made the belt quiet for as long as we owned the car. second car it made it quiet for about an hour then it started sqeeking again. Its kinda ghetto but sometimes it helps. I wonder if they have anything in the auto parts store that would work better then soap. maybe belt conditioner...

tire chalk :thumb: use it at the shop, another thing you can do is spray the belt with some sort of penetrating oil, only on the belt though. and if the noise goes away... its the belt tension. if noise stays, more likely to be a pulley.

I'm new to these forums I have a 2g 99 eclipse rs and I have the same squel when start up and sometimes if I rev the engine, I figured my alt belt may be loose ### it feels like it there some play and deflection on the belt,only happens on startup for 15-30sec. I also have a battery light on my dash what does that mean?

battery light on indicates that you are not getting a charge, which basically means you are slipping so much that the charge is too low from not spinning the pulley.

I had that same problem for a while. My mechanic adjusted the tension of the belt and it went away. A few months later it started doing the same thing and I had to adjust it again. I had to replace the alternator and when I did, the noise went away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back