The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Why did you choose a DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growing up in the 90's, I knew I liked how DSMs looked, but didn't know crap about them. I liked the Eclipse and Talon both, but for some reason I didn't know they were the same car, but I did know I wanted both. Bought my 1st one in 2003, was a Talon ESi. Just bought my 6th one yesterday. So far these have been the only cars I've ever felt fit what I like. Sold my spyder yesterday as well, and although most see cars as just cars, it's more than that to me, and couldn't help but cry on the inside as I watched it being towed off to its new home in NM. Once life for me settles, I'll be looking for DSM #7 as a rolling shell and build it.

Reasons why I went dsm
1. I'm cheap
2. They aren't "hot" such as honda's
3. Enjoy beating evos/ exotic cars with a dsm and getting that confused face while they stare hard at the dsm.
4. Love that 4g63 nothing like it out there
And 5. I'm cheap
See post #40 damnit :)

Maybe my story is a little different. I bought my first DSM when they weren't cheap. I had purchased a 1987 mitsubishi truck brand new and I was impressed with how it was laid out. Easy to work on etc. When the DSMs hit the market every magazine raved over them and I took an interest. They were much too expensive for me but in 1992 I found a 1990 Tsi AWD and it was affordable. This will sound odd today but I paid 11500 for that car with 35k on it. It was pristine perfect. I found the talon digest, got involved and here we are today. I've had 9 different cars but always kept that original one until about 6 years ago. It finally got the point it was beyond saving and I went looking for another one. Well I found my current one in 2011 and it is/was a unicorn. 1 owner 52k 2gb talon with CLOTH interior. Production numbers put it at 1 of 7 and it is the EXACT combo I wanted. White with tan cloth 2gb talon AWD. It has approx 116k on it now. I bought the car because I loved the engineering and at the time (1992) it was one of the most advanced cars out there and would kill just about everything on the street from a dead stop. And that was bone stock. The guys that were fast in those days (11s) could not be touched. NOBODY was faster on the street. They knew it, I knew it and even with a mildly modified car it was a LONG time before cars started getting fast enough from the showroom floor to catch me except for really high priced stuff. Even new corvettes couldn't catch a dsm. To top it off after 6 or 7 years of ownership I figured out they were easy and cheap to maintain relatively. From a financial standpoint even with mods I've spent pennies per mile since 1992. Dave Ramsey would be proud.

I'll drag up another old post, just because this one is fun! Love reading all the stories and laughing my arse off at a few.

My husband, Anthony, was sitting in the middle of winter and wanting to go fishing, but he isn't a fan of ice fishing, or fishing in the winter at all for that matter. So, he decided to look for a new hobby. He tried drawing pictures, sitting next to me while I was drawing pictures, but he compared it to a 5 year old sitting next to Picasso and gave up. He used to target practice with guns, but life hit us with a child and almost all the firearms were sold to fund the tiny human. Finally, after about a week, I asked him if he'd like to talk to my dad about car mechanics. It took about an hour of describing the movements inside the engine and how things basically happened from start to finish, then all of a sudden, Ant lit up, it was the numbers and the mathematics of the whole thing that spoke to him. Once you tear into a motor and start grabbing things with a micrometer, you know what I'm talking about with all the numbers, and it was a little crazy (in a good and inspirational way) watching Anthony go from only being able to change the oil on a car to grabbing every magazine and article my dad had laying around for reading material.

It took about another week for this maniacal obsession for automotive knowledge to finally plateau enough for me to be a conniving wife and start secretly probing him for an answer on what car he wanted. The first answer, Toyota Supra with a single turbo. I nearly laughed myself to death inside, cause I knew we could buy a really nice house here for the same price as one of those babies. I let him stew on his decision for a couple days. During that time he also mentioned the older Skyline, which still wasn't going to happen. I asked him about maybe choosing something cheaper to start with so we could afford to play with it and break it without crying too much. Then he fell into the DSMs, recalling going for a ride in an Eagle Talon with a friend. So, another conniving wife moment, I had my dad contact my cousin who I knew had an Eclipse and send us pictures to see what Ant would think. To my total amazement, not only did Ant like it but my cousin threw a ridiculously low price on it, which my intention was not to buy his. I immediately lied to Ant and told him we couldn't afford it, watched him slouch in his chair in disappointment, and winked at my dad. I proceeded to send small payments to my cousin to have the wideband installed and pay for gas to have it delivered. Then, on the morning of July 12, 2014, which is MY birthday mind you, I had Anthony in the kitchen preparing our daughter's birthday cake (her birthday is July 13) while my dad snuck this Eclipse GST into the backyard. An hour later we decided to go outside and take birthday pictures, in the backyard. Anthony HATES having his picture taken, so he's hanging his head and not looking up for anything... except when I say, "What jackass just parked in my yard?" And he looks up to the GST and my dad holding out the keys. Done deal.

And he looks up to the GST and my dad holding out the keys. Done deal.

^Great story!

I noticed the 4G's first and that's when I learned what an Eclipse was. Years later, my son was shopping for his first car. I grew up repairing and modifying cars, and I wanted him to learn these skills, beyond the ones he developed while we raced quads. He found an ad for a project AWD Eagle Talon. He asked me what a Talon was, and I proceeded to show him an Eclipse, and explained that they were brother cars, although I didn't know about the "DSM" thing. We went and looked at the project Talon and he bought it. We spent the first part of the summer finishing it, learning a lot in the process about the clever way that Mitsubishi engineered their cars -- all of which made mechanical sense to us.

The boost/fuel calculations proved to be a steep learning curve, but we were learning together and liked the challenge. We finally got it right on our third engine build in 3 years! And you know that rumor that manuals are good up to 700hp before they let go. Well, yeah, that's not just a rumor.

He bought a 420a Talon to drive for a daily to make more time to rebuild the AWD Talon. I enjoyed the platform so much, I bought a '99 Spyder n/a to restore and give to my wife for our wedding anniversary.

We still have the Spyder and we love to hear about DSM owners wrenching on their own cars. We'll give advice if we've been there before, on a particular problem. The Spyder keeps getting subtle mods to make it handle and respond better. More are planned. i enjoy the honest driving experience of these cars.

I had no inclination to get into a DSM before my brother told me that I "had to buy the one sitting on a consignment lot" a couple towns over. We went to look at it and the damn thing was amrked at $7k with 234k miles on it, beautiful and all as it was a 97 AWD Talon i wasnt about to pay that much. Fast forward a couple months and it popped up again just down the road from my moms house, turns out it never sold at consignment and the doctor who owned it (original owner) decided to private party sell it. He wanted $3200 and i didnt have that, made a $500 down payment and would pay the rest in installments while he kept the car and title. Sold my Mazda MX-3, and basically everything i could to scrape some cash. The guy told me some story about him and his wife speaking with god and that he believed i should have it for $2900. OKAY, that was 9 years ago this past August, the rest is history, the car now has 313k miles on it. Haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back