The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who wants to help save a DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysSunnyOhio

Proven Member
Jul 6, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Probably in the wrong section so move if necessary.

I bought this bad joke 3 years ago. spent way too much money, had a baby, bought a house, went back to school blah blah blah.

The car is a spyder gst with a stock 6 bolt swap. I have 2 weeks to get it running or wife says it's got to go and will be parted out.

the problems:

Can't get the car to turn over with the key. Worked fine before I switched motors. Have tried 2 different starters

Can't get the car to run steady. I've had it running perfectly twice. I took the battery out to put on the charger and now it's like it's out of time. When I get it running it's super rough.

I have just about any part for the car you name it. I've tried 4 different CAS and no change. The CAS is hard wired I've cleaned the connections triple checked the wires. I've tried 2 different coils and no change. I've gone through every fuse in the car several times.

This is a stock 6 bolt the only change is a hard intake pipe, front mount intercooler and cruise control delete.

My plans this week are to drain last years gas, do a boost leak test, install DSMlink, install new spark plugs. After this I'm out of ideas.

I have every part to build a hell of a DSM. I really want to get this car running.

The old lady has been patient it's mostly the home owner association being dicks and some stupid next door app she's on. Believe me if it were her attitude it I would laugh it off.

When I got turn the key everything lights up but it's like the signal wire is dead. I turn it over by running a wire to the battery.

I've checked the timing so many times. I even installed every single thing new while the motor was out to make it even easier. When it started it idled perfectly. Accelerated without a stumble. No belt squeal, nothing I was like hot damn. I took the battery out while I redid the suspension and then when I tried to start again no dice.

I know it's a complete crap shoot I was just hoping maybe there's a certain known trick to these cars I was messing up.

When I install the CAS I make sure it's top dead center. Make sure the marks are lined up all around. If I get it to start it chugs and no power.

I'm not sure if I got all the vacuum lines 100%. Would that cause a similar event?

Check your signal wire going to the starter. There is a thick power wire that goes to the battery and a thin signal wire to activate the starter. Do you have a turbotimer?

The signal wire is the thin black wire that slides over the clip?

There was a Greddy turbo timer installed when I bought the car. I forgot all about it until just now. I unclipped it and put it in a box.

The wires that the turbo timer connects into under the steering column. My turbotimer once jacked up one time and it stopped the car from turning over. You may have an issue with those wires in the ignition ( I know that's a little vague).

Use a test light connected to ground, test for power on main starter feed starter large stud/nut ( make sure you don't have any corrosion build up) Than connect the test light to the signal wire have someone attempt to start watch the test light did it light up ?

My car usually runs on less than 4 cylinders until the lifters pump up all the way. Does the car start if you manually jump power to the starter w/ the key turned "on" in the ignition? If so, I'd look into that.

Ok I drained the gas

Checked the ignition wires for corrosion

The car will turn over and run real lopey if I manually jump the starter.

If I hook the black and yellow wire up the solenoid behind the radio clicks and the fuel pump clicks on in the back but will not turn over.

I plugged the turbo timer in and checked the wires. There's a small box with a brown and purple wire coming from the timer itself. Can't seem to find the connection for it. Not sure if there was one. It's been awhile since it was unhooked.

I've played with the plug wires and tried different configurations. I went put it back to the way I had when it was running great.

I'm going to pick up the plugs tomorrow and change those out.

I don't know boys this thing may have me beat. I've tried everything and it's just whomping my ass

Got the motor running great! Idles perfectly. I changed the plugs, rechecked the timing and it's perfect.

Still for the life of me cannot solve the key problem. I unplugged the NSS switch. Hooked up the turbo timer went through the wiring and fuses.

Is there some kind of 6bolt swap secret I don't know? Could I possibly have the starter hooked up wrong where it functions with a jump wire?

Thank you to everyone who's helped so far I really appreciate it

There is a starter relay so maybe check into that. There are a million and one no-start threads so you can do a little reading. If you absolutely have to (you'll lose the car or something), you can connect your battery to a fused-on/off switch in the cabin of the car with the other end going to the starter. I did that 10 years ago as a quasi security system and that lasted a couple years. You just press the button and it activates the starter. Obviously, try and find your problem first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back