The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

White smoke, oil leak and loss of power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97DSMTURBO

Probationary Member
Feb 23, 2006
Frederick, Maryland
OK, I need some help, I have had a small oil leak for a little bit, and have been meaning to tend to it, but being the procrastinator I am I didnt get to it soon enough.

Anyways, a few days ago I was driving kindof hard and all of the sudden my car lost alot of power, so I look at my boost guage and floor it and there is no power and no boost. so I go back to my friends house and park it. The next morning I decided to drive it home to park it there, I started to leave my friends and everything was ok for a little bit (still no boost though) then all of the sudden white smoke is pouring out of my exhaust, its constant, the only time it doesnt was when I was decelerating. Well then my car starts to hesitate and sputter so I pull into a gas station and buy some oil because the oil was low, then I start it back up and it stopped sputtering, still smoking and still no boost. Well about 5min from my house it starts hesitating and sputtering again and then stalls (no bangs or smoke coming from the engine bay). It wont start back up (there was still no boost and the white smoke problem continued) , its not even cranking, so i called a tow truck and am waiting for a shop i used to work at to call me back with the diagnosis....What are the possibilities???

97DSMTURBO said:
OK, I need some help, I have had a small oil leak for a little bit, and have been meaning to tend to it, but being the procrastinator I am I didnt get to it soon enough.

Anyways, a few days ago I was driving kindof hard and all of the sudden my car lost alot of power, so I look at my boost guage and floor it and there is no power and no boost. so I go back to my friends house and park it. The next morning I decided to drive it home to park it there, I started to leave my friends and everything was ok for a little bit (still no boost though) then all of the sudden white smoke is pouring out of my exhaust, its constant, the only time it doesnt was when I was decelerating. Well then my car starts to hesitate and sputter so I pull into a gas station and buy some oil because the oil was low, then I start it back up and it stopped sputtering, still smoking and still no boost. Well about 5min from my house it starts hesitating and sputtering again and then stalls (no bangs or smoke coming from the engine bay). It wont start back up (there was still no boost and the white smoke problem continued) , its not even cranking, so i called a tow truck and am waiting for a shop i used to work at to call me back with the diagnosis....What are the possibilities???

It sounds like you have blown your HG and that one of your cylinders is full of coolant. If the full cylinder is on its compression stroke then your starter will not have enough torque to spin that cylinder.

It does sound like you have a bad HG but I would recommend that you do a pressure check on your cooling system. The kit is about 20 dollars and it is a good investment.. If you are losing coolant it will show you. If your coolant holds pressure then more than likely you are not burning coolant and your problem is just compression. Oh and the tip about letting the car idle with the radiator cap off is a good one. Try that first then if you do not see bubbles get the rad pressure kit.

97DSMTURBO said:

It sounds to me like you blew your turbo. Mine did the same thing, but I had a warning before that the turbo was dying, so I was aware that my turbo was on its way out. When it truly died, I lost some power, all boost, and was leaving an impressive WALL of smoke from the exhaust pipe.

If you ran it for a while, you could have pumped a fair fraction of your 5 quarts of oil into your intercooler and intake plumbing. I ran mine for ~30 sec after the turbo crashed, and I had 1/2 quart of oil in my intercooler. Lord knows how much you pumped out of your engine before it died. It may have pumped oil into your intake and fouled the plugs, or you may have lost oil pressure and damaged the motor (did you notice a drop in oil pressure?). You could also check your oil level right now via the dipstick, but it wouldn't suprise me if it didn't wet the bottom of the stick.

Anyway, (assuming it's cool - if it's not, you're just making things worse) disconnect the intercooler hose on the compressor side of your turbo (the lower of the two hoses coming out of the passenger side of your turbo) and see if there is any sign of oil. If there is oil, you blew the turbo.

If this is the case, then you could also find out just how much oil was pumped into your intake by placing an oil catch can under the inlet side of your intercooler and disconnect the intake hose. This is where the oil will have collected in your intake if it wasn't pumped on through into your engine through the lungs rather than through the veins.

White smoke is always COOLANT in your cylinders!
1.cracked head;
2.blown cyl head gasket;
If you're burning coolant how do you expect BOOST??? You're not gonna get BOOST out of coolant
1st thing when you see TONZ of white smoke comming out of your exhaust you should pull over+turn of the engine ASAP..so u don't make more damage then you already have...NO WAY 'testing' by driving the car hard helped that engine.
Keep your fingers crossed...hopefully your turbo is not ded yet!
good luck!
PS: You said u were driving the car hard..so that explains it..what is does the head gasket at high temp gets swolen and coolant/antifreeze gets in the combustion chamber=>white exhaust smoke!

Although burning oil smoke has a slight blue tint to it, it looks pretty white. Quick check of your compressor inlet for oil (cool engine, of course) would help answer this. Might want to check for play, too.

Also, my turbo died under full load and I got a huge amount of smoke out of my exhaust. It was not a head gasket or cracked head. It was a blown turbo bearing seal. But I pulled over IMMEDIATELY. I still had 1/2 quart of oil in my intercooler in that short time. You can lose a lot of oil when this happens, and the fact that he had to add oil at a gas station seems to support that he was losing it quickly which shouldn't happen with a blown HG.

Anyway, there are ways to find out if it's a HG, cracked head, or blown turbo. Do the tests and find out more about the problem.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back