White Shed Speed - Official Introduction

Posted by bastarddsm, Apr 9, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Hey Guys,

I'm sure most have you have read a post or two by me, and know of me. Over the last few years I've been doing a few side gigs for fellow tuners members, ECU chips, remote tunes, and some drive-line stuff. Just recently I decided it was time to make that a more full-time endeavor.

On to some background - I'm sure I've mentioned it in the past, but I am a PhD candidate in Engineering Science at Southern Illinois University. Essentially this is the same as Mechanical Engineering, and my area of mastery is Thermal and Fluid Sciences. My research is in Internal Combustion Engines, and I am developing a new engine cycle... The 5-Stroke. Anyway I also have a B.S. in physics, and a M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering. While my PhD focuses on Thermal and Fluid Sciences, my education and work experiences have prepared me to handle most any engineering challenge, from suspension design, to gear train, all the way to computer engine simulation.

The name "White Shed Speed" comes from the humblest of beginnings, being 16 and putting together a 4g out of used up parts in a small white storage shed. I worked out of that poor little shed for a long time, eventually putting my car in the 11's working in that shed and the gravel driveway in front of it.

Through the years I've had the good fortune to be involved in many motorsports projects, here's a short list:
    1. My personal Talon, bought in 2003 as a Non-Turbo FWD, immediately turbo'd, and then later AWD swapped. Might be the first 1G ever AWD swapped. From it's first track trip running 16.00 to it's current 9.80 times, it has remained a full 100% street car, and 99% done by me. Everything but short block machining is done in house.

2. The Durty Deere. The Durty Deere is a 1700+hp Duramax powered 97 Chevy pull truck. We compete in the 7800lb pro-street class, and have been class champion many times. We currently use a 91.5mm Holset HX82 based turbo to generate 60+psi of boost and 2500+ft*lbs of torque! I tune this monster, and we use a Bosch Motorsports MS15.1 to control it. This is a high end engine control, primarily used by F1 type racing. Apparently, in Europe they road race some crazy Audi Diesel powered stuff. I also help with chassis setup and design on this.

3. The Giant SS. The Giant SS is a 95 Chevy Impala with a 572" twin turbo big block chevy, a t56, and Bonneville gears. It's a land speed car that had gone 212mph in N/A trim, and was heading to get a record at Bonneville when the 75 yr old owner was struck down with cancer during the build. The owner kept on trucking and ended up spending his retirement trying to get better. Not giving up the owner got the car together on a social security check budget. We made 1250hp on a really soft tuneup at 15psi on 2 china made 76mm turbo's. While it's not a super impressive number, keep in mind this has to run WOT for 5 miles! Sadly, the owner passed before we could make it to Bonneville, but we hope to honor his memory with the new owner getting that record.

4. My brothers Fairmont. My little bro picked up a 82 4 door Ford Fairmont last fall. Some day he plans on a killer 4.6 dohc build, but for now it's getting 4G swapped. It's his first build and I've been guiding him along. He's going to use an Evo Style 4G64 out of a Hyundai, a Hincher bellhousing and a t5. It'll have some sort of a holset on it, stock block with some Delta regrinds, and E85. Hoping to get the car down in the 10's on the stock block. I'll be tuning it up, and building the turbo setup. Hope to have this together and making some passes at the shootout.

Finally a short list of what can do here at WSS.
    -Piston Coating
    -Driveline Service - Trans - Tcase - Rear End
    -Clutch Setup
    -Light Fabrications
    -Light CNC Machining
    -Tuning
    -Custom Control Solutions
    -Injector Flow Testing
    -DSM EEPROM Chips
    -Cylinder Head Service
    -Porting

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, so just ask! Also please check out our website at www.whiteshedspeed.com it's in progress so check back often!

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  2. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Lets all welcome Kurt to the Supporting Vendor status and look forward to seeing all of his accomplishments. He has been very helpful on the forum and I am one that hopes he succeeds in all of his endevors!
    Glad that you are part of the group that contributes so much, thanks Kurt and best of luck!
    Marty

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.620 @ 108.460 MPH
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.612 @ 107.760 MPH
  3. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Congrats on becoming a supporting vendor! I had a remote tune and troubleshooting done by Kurt. He was very helpful and knowledgeable even without being with the car but by reading ECMLink logs. His prices were very reasonable. I was in a pinch and he bailed me out! Thanks again Kurt and good luck with the start up!

Looking over your website, do you service auto transmissions by chance? Hoping to make it through this year with my current one but may look in to building it a little next off season.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
    Anthony Boni likes this.
  4. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Thanks Marty!

Thanks Josh, I'm glad I was able to help and get you a solid baseline. Your car works very well!
    I've not had an opportunity to do a DSM auto trans yet. Right now I have 2 4L60E's I'm working on. I'll see how these pan out. For those that don't know a 4L60E is a mid size GM RWD 4 speed auto. They are notorious for not lasting, and being hard to rebuild. When these are done I wouldn't be against learning the DSM auto.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  5. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    If you want a tester car, I can test your skills down in to the 9's :sneaky:

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  6. Anthony Boni

Anthony Boni Probationary Member

Joined May 13, 2018
    Minot, North Dakota
    I am very interested in this remote tuning process. The closest tuner for me is a 4 hour drive! Also, congratulations whiteshedspeed!

7. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Hey guys, please take a swing by our facebook page and hit the like. (wow never envisioned making that post LOL) https://www.facebook.com/WhiteShedSpeed/ I post a lot more pictures over there - it's just so easy. If I I have a big tech article it'll obviously be posted here and my website. I plan on putting together something on clutches, but I just have been too busy.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  8. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Remote tuning can be a very powerful tool, it can also be a complete pita. The key to a successful remote tune is good communication, car setup, and honesty. The car owner needs to at least have a basic understanding of what is going on so they can provide helpful input should any diagnostic needs arise. The car owner needs to be able make sure the car is mechanically correct, because the remote tuner isn't there to see those issues. I shouldn't try and push away customers, but I feel strongly that if you have a local option, use it. There are some guys who are very good at remote tunes, but it still requires that the car owner be involved some. I've done quite a few eeprom chip calibrations. (I'm going to make a post about tunes vs calibrations someday LOL), and the biggest issue has been unknown mechanical issues. Anyway I am more than happy to work on a remote tune, even if it's just a base tune so you don't have so much time on the dyno getting dyno tuned.

Josh was one of my first remote tune customers 2 summers ago, and he had a misfire issue that I was able to trace to a CAS issue I think from the datalogs. He ended up with some mechanical issues that prevented us from finishing the tune. We ended up picking up the following spring, and within a couple log exchanges I got him a pretty solid tune that only required some minor changes once he got a dyno appointment.

At this point I am expert level with 1G DSM EEPROM tuning, AEM Infinity, ECMLink, Bosch Motosports, and pretty green with everything else. But it's all the same basically, some just have some nuances.

I'm also developing my own stand alone controller right now someday I'll have an article about that too. It's a very powerful ecu, I have it running my VGT turbo, full flex fuel control, boost control, staged injection, Maf or speed density, internal wideband control, fulltime closed loop, super fast datalogging, traction control, ect.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
    Anthony Boni, 19gsx91 and Airsign89 like this.
  9. Anthony Boni

Anthony Boni Probationary Member

Joined May 13, 2018
    Minot, North Dakota
    Thanks for the explanation! I definitely plan on remote tuning because I do not have a tuner in my local area. Currently I am ensuring my car is mechanically sound, as well as verifying everything I was told about this car is true. I purchased the car with performance cams, pistons/rods, injectors, fuel pump etc. However, the half a** craftsmanship of the home-made, boost leaking fmic made of welded exhaust pipe and atrocious straight-piped exhaust leads me to believe otherwise. Not to mention the terrible wiring. I have a long ways to go before I can begin tuning. Again, thank you for the explanation and I look forward to purchasing a shifter cable bracket bushing from you guys once I get the car running!