The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Which turbo is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat026

Proven Member
Nov 27, 2016
Milford, Pennsylvania
i was having boost leak issues so I removed the turbo, the person who owned it before me installed the turbo my question is this.. is this a genuine 16g? Or the knock of evo 3 gt it has the casting for the 16g but stamped "evo 3 gt".

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 135
Ok so it's not the genuine is this any good of a turbo? Read mixed reviews about the housing and metals. If not where can I get a genuine for a reasonable price?

Look on the classified here you’ll find one they are always for sale.

Here ya go. So if you feel uncomfortable running it just rebuild it with genuine parts.

The 49178-01410 turbos are 14B's, also. I have more than one at my shop.

The GT Concepts Evo III that is built by Turbochargers.com is on the same page as the MHI Evo III 16G. Early GT's had trouble with turbine wheels snapping off, but supposedly the newest ones have remedied this problem. All of the GT Concepts 16G's parts are interchangeable with MHI parts.

The eBay 16G's are in a realm of their own. They cannot be rebuilt with a MHI parts kit, cannot use MHI compressor / turbine wheels, and in some cases you can't even use MHI housings on the eBay 16G's as the wheels aren't the same size as a true MHI turbo. They shouldn't even wear the badge "16G".

The eBay 16G's are distinguished by a big rectanglular badge on the compressor cover displaying the part number. They look nothing like a MHI or GT Concepts turbo. They also feature an adjustable wastegate arm, which is not found on a MHI or GT Concepts turbo:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah I just found some rebuild kits available so you guys are right I'll have to find this justin guy my only question is the housing shouldn't crack right? Due to it being a weaker metal I don't even know what the wastegate pressure is on this turbo

Made in Taiwan by CHSH Turbo, these are actually far better than your average eBay knockoff despite not being an actual MHI turbo.

The cons of these units wasn't really the general wear parts, however...early units had trouble with turbine shafts breaking at the friction weld although this was addressed pretty quickly and if yours is still around today this is probably not a worry. There's also no evidence that an assembly balance was ever done on these turbos which may cut their lifespan a little shorter than a comparable MHI unit as well, and of course the turbine housings do crack where a true MHI Evo III housing does not.

There's that "Justin Guy", the forums turbo guru.
Thanks Jus!!! :thumb:

Sweet thanks a ton I still have it just found an mhi I'm going to buy from one of the guys on this site big help finding this info out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back