The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Which oil pressure sender should i use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm using an autometer pro comp pressure gauge. Should I use an auto meter pressure sending unit? Or should i stick with the OEM unit?

I'm remote mounting it with -an4 SS line and also running -an4 SS line to the gauge.. (72" should be enough to route from the fwdface ofh to the gauge right?, i'll measure the rusty crusty one on my car now..)

Just deciding what I should go with

What are you guys using?

The autometer gauge isn't compatible with the factory sender. The autometer senders work fine, and can be logged in link.
With an electric gauge you don't need to run an oil line to the gauge, just the sender. Then there's a single wire from the sender to the gauge. I'd leave the sender in the bay somewhere in case of a leak.

I just started studying a bit about it and I think I have a full sweep mechanical gauge, so I don't even need a sending unit then? Just a line directly to the gauge?

I guess the sending unit was only still installed for the stock gauge..? So should I keep it for that? Or just ditch it all together and only run the mechanical auto meter straight from the ofh?

Reason I'm asking is because of the single 1/8 bspt port on the forward facing ofh, should I only adapt the mechanical line off that single 1/8 or tee off another port for the sending unit/stock gauge

Yes a mechanical gauge has no sender, just a line directly to the pressure source.

The stock gauge is useless really so no reason to keep that sender when you're installing a real gauge.

You need to run an isolator if you plan on going to the track, or if you dont want to risk leaking/spraying oil all over the interior.

I would keep the dummy light sender but thats just me. On the mechanical gauge issue, I have ran mechanical guages in all of my previous "hot rods" since 1978 and never once experienced a failure. They were all NA cars but never even had one drop of oil in my cars, not that it couldn't happen because I'm sure it can if improperly installed. We run mechanical guages right now in our Camaro's...no issues. Very accurate also. I run an electric gauge in the DSM because it is easier but it it isn't as responsive as our mechanical set ups are.
If you need to "tee" off and only have the one port, split it at the end of the new 4an line. :thumb:

I would keep the dummy light sender but thats just me. On the mechanical gauge issue, I have ran mechanical guages in all of my previous "hot rods" since 1978 and never once experienced a failure. They were all NA cars but never even had one drop of oil in my cars, not that it couldn't happen because I'm sure it can if improperly installed. We run mechanical guages right now in our Camaro's...no issues. Very accurate also. I run an electric gauge in the DSM because it is easier but it it isn't as responsive as our mechanical set ups are.
If you need to "tee" off and only have the one port, split it at the end of the new 4an line. :thumb:

Mechanical gauges? Geez, do you have some 8 track players in there too? Haha, JK. I think I'll be installing my autometer electrical gauge with sending unit soon, and I don't see any point in keeping the stock gauge. Dummy light is what I'll keep.

I'm sure by the time the dummy light comes on it's too late, you've already hurt something. How many of us aren't constantly monitoring the gauges as is, that's the whole point in adding one, no?

I'd be wary on running a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the cockpit myself. I've never seen one fail personally, and most of us run mechanical boost gauges without leaks. It's just one of those "what if" things. Definitely don't wanna get scalded with motor oil in the event of a failure, however unlikely that may be.

My dummy light was only helpful during a oil filter backing off. Glad it flickered....it was a bad experience.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back