The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

which engine for a street build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx98

Probationary Member
Oct 4, 2017
Fort Smith, Arkansas
posted in the other forum, got a 300zx as a project car. may sell it to fix my 98 eclipse gsx. the #3 cylinder is out, and it has bent intake valves and a bad piston. (this happened flooring it in 5th gear going 80, the car felt like it "shifted" into a 6th gear when i let off the gas.. but it's a 5 speed. and turbo made a huge spool, sounding amazing actually. but the car lost all its power shortly after.) i thought i blew the turbo, but apprently it was way more. i'm wanting a really solid set up w about 300whp. i just don't know what a good engine to put in these would be. id honestly even keep a full stock setup. i just want my gsx running. literally fell in love with it, with the less than one day i got to drive it.

Salvage what you can from the engine and go with a stock rebuild. This will be more than capable of 300 whp.

As everyone has said. a stock block will handle your goal of 300whp but you're going to need to upgrade a few things to achieve that power.

posted in the other forum, got a 300zx as a project car. may sell it to fix my 98 eclipse gsx. the #3 cylinder is out, and it has bent intake valves and a bad piston. (this happened flooring it in 5th gear going 80, the car felt like it "shifted" into a 6th gear when i let off the gas.. but it's a 5 speed. and turbo made a huge spool, sounding amazing actually. but the car lost all its power shortly after.) i thought i blew the turbo, but apprently it was way more. i'm wanting a really solid set up w about 300whp. i just don't know what a good engine to put in these would be. id honestly even keep a full stock setup. i just want my gsx running. literally fell in love with it, with the less than one day i got to drive it.
How do you know what broke? What repairs have you attempted?

i had it towed to multiple shops until i could get an answer. finished the stock rebuild. broke the engine in.but what should be the fist upgrade to keep it dependable? i have 1,000 miles on the rebuild, been my DD so far and i love it. was going to replace the short ram intake with a cold air. the car already has a boost controller (thats how the engine blew from last time, it was set to hit 30 psi on a full stock setup) so its running stock boost now, was planning on turning the boost up about 2-5 psi, better bov, bigger injectors, and a front mount intercooler. car already has aftermarket suspension, and aftermarket exhaust. this will be my first car to modify. not wanting to cut any corners what so ever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back