The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

When will the dsm's go up in value??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The price value of the car will creep up a little over time, especially as more good examples are lost to accidents, crashes, etc. it will just never really get to crazy amount of cash like other cars.

It really depends on the state and area youre in too. But if youre looking for a clean dsm with no rust, stock or modded will run you at least $6000 where im from and theyre still rare especially the ones with no rust LOL

It's not a 300ZX TT, or FD3S RX-7, or Supra MKIV, etc.

It's more of a Supra MKIII or first gen MR2.

It really depends on the state and area youre in too. But if youre looking for a clean dsm with no rust, stock or modded will run you at least $6000 where im from and theyre still rare especially the ones with no rust LOL

I'll sell you mine at the cheap price of $10,000 then. :sneaky: (seriously)

I've had offers of 4500 and 5K during the short time I've had mine on CL. I'm going to wait until spring to return it back to mostly stock before I sell it though. There was literally NO clean example in my entire state for sale at the same time as mine.

These cars are crippled by a major factor.. Insurance companies don't consider them worth much. If you get int an accident with a built DSM your insurance company will laugh and cut you a small check you might as well owner retain and sell it for parts. If you get your parts insured that's another matter some insurance offers that, but any "built DSM" your insurance company is going to go.. well heres enough to buy another civic have a nice day. That's why my next car is not a DSM.

Has anyone checked their local classifieds for these cars lately? They seem to have gone up in value in my area. I'm seeing FWDs with bad paint being posted for 4500 and shells being posted for 5k. Haven't seen a turbo model for less than 3500 no matter how beat.

Classifieds do reflect people asking money for a dsm, I wonder what percentage actually sells. Its kinda like those evo8/9 that everyone was asking 20k for and banks wont lend against a car that old without a high interest rate or wont lend for it at all. Now those Evo8/9 are going for 13k around here.

Personally I love the fact that dsms are getting cheaper, and parts OEM and aftermarket are plentiful due to shared platforms. I have 3 dsms in my garage, all of which were bone stock. I paid $2500 for my Tsi awd 3 years ago, $2000 for my Tsi 2 years ago, and $1600 for my GST Spyder two weeks ago. All of which were in excellent condition with maintenance records. Not to mention when one DSM dies, or has a problem involving a major repair, it's actually economical to just get another and swap aftermarket parts. I was in high school when 1gs came out, but were out of my price range. Now I'm living a childhood dream by having 3 (in all three 2g models) at once.

Furthermore, and most important, the cost of all 3 of my dsms, along with all upgrades (including a built motor in my Tsi) doesn't add up to the cost of a virtually new evo. I love depreciation! The dsm hobby is about driving an awesome, easily modded, often forgotten relic of the 90s. Not about monetary value.

Personally I love the fact that dsms are getting cheaper, and parts OEM and aftermarket are plentiful due to shared platforms.
This. Its a great platform at a great price and if you want to make one a nice dd or a stripped race car its equally fitting either way you choose to go.

They could have made our lives even more awesome by making a rwd one factory.. but thats not the target segment for dsm. Its too bad mitsubishi just gave up on enthusiasts altogether and gave their remaining market to subaru and ford, maybe a small percentage to nissan.

One day maybe mitsubishi will see the error in their ways and remember what it was like designing a real rally car or a quick sporty eclipse that with mods came to do well at the drag strip. You know instead of bloated fwd only non turbo eclipse's, instead of bloated bad looking eclipse cross that hopefully gets axed real soon and instead of turning their best rally platform into a fwd only traction-less grocery machine thats not anything like driving an evo. I own a lancer every time it rains I curse mitsubishi and fwd.

Last edited:
Classifieds do reflect people asking money for a dsm, I wonder what percentage actually sells. Its kinda like those evo8/9 that everyone was asking 20k for and banks wont lend against a car that old without a high interest rate or wont lend for it at all. Now those Evo8/9 are going for 13k around here.
Personally I know of a car in the pacific north west that I was trying to buy with disability money that sold for 10 grand before I could get my backpay. It was English Tuned and had something like 98k miles. I called back to try and buy it again but it was gone. Only thing that made me second guess the buy was the owner didn't disclose a scuff on the sideskirt before I drove over from the opposite side of the state. You'd be surprised the means people will go through to get one of these cars after having owned one in the past, and having parted with it under a means that wasn't amicable.

I foresee the value of of any 2G A.W.D. Turbo model to increase, look nostalgia plays a huge role in valuation for cars. I am out in CO and a heavily modded 2 GSX with 40k on it went for 11K I my area, I bought mine for 6k and it was bone stock zero rust, and needed a lot of work and maintenance. So it may be regional, but no-one can argue they are slowly creeping up in value.

One thing that no one has brought up in this thread is the rare combination of trim levels. I own a 1997 hard top 2Gb no sunroof, no abs, Tan/ black suede interior AWD model. I have literally NEVER seen that combo before. So if you own a desirable trim level, that car will command more value. Car people are nerds for stuff like that that makes the car unique and thus adds value.

So yes they will and ARE slowly going up in value, you don't see clean stockers anymore, and stock parts for these cars are becoming harder to find (trim, OEM, etc..). --> all are the makings for a car's value to increase.

Will they ever get into EVO or Supra, territory probably not. Did you buy your DSM as a investment? I hope not, I surely did not. but are they increasing in value? Yes, whether you like it or not, yes they most certainly are.

Todays people court had a Dsm owner suing another Dsm owner that he bought the car from, things like 7 bolt head, and Dogbox transmission, were being thrown around on national tv and I enjoyed it, the guys were from NJ. When they said the next case is about a modified car I actually started to think to myself, "what if this is about a Dsm, how interesting would that be" and it was...

I Just sold a 98 GSX all original in excellent condition with 90k and got multiple offers and sold it for $11,000. I had several DSM owners message me that my asking price was crazy and that my GSX was only worth $4000- $6000 max. Truth is, there are people out there that will pay a lot more for a DSM in excellent condition not already modded and beat on. It just seems that current DSM owners value these cars different and would never pay that price for a DSM.

Once gasoline engines get banned in favor of electric all gasoline engine vehicles will skyrocket in value, especially those that are good platforms like the DSM. People will want to drive them because they were an experience.....the sound, the power delivery, boost, and the exhaust fumes of a combustion engine. Electric is fast but boring.

Many countries in Europe have already pledged to ban the sale and use of gasoline engines by 2030. It's only a matter of time before it happens here.

Many people are looking at this from "the glass is half empty" perspective. For a car to appreciate, it has to stop depreciating. As far as I can tell, our cars hit market bottom a few years ago and while they have increased slightly, they certainly have stopped decreasing.

Dont bet on it!

Why? Do you understand why cars go up in value? DSMs aren't rare, aren't as desirable, and no where near as nice as a top end car.

They are cheap performance. Thats all.

The reason cars go up in value is rarity, and desirability. Mustangs, Camaros, and other old muscle cars, all became quite rare because they were worthless in the 70s. You couldn't give them away. People that did want them were getting them for a few hundred bucks, driving them till they wrecked them or tore them up, dumping them, and getting another one. So many of those old muscle cars were scrapped and crushed its not funny.

JDM Tuner heros that are all the rage now were never imported in the vast numbers that DSMs were produced. You gotta remember that most DSMs are eco shit boxes with a sportcompact body. So the people that just want an Eclipse can have a 420a for cheap because those will never be in demand by non performance minded folk. The ones of us who want a fast car won't ever pay over inflated prices because once they become to high demand will fall as people move to other cheap platforms. They will never be rare, and never become over inflated based on demand for an Eclipse, or to the lesser extent, Talons. People that just want one for looks can get a N/T.

The reason stuff like Supras and FDs get so expensive isn't the guys like us that want to make them race cars. Its all the people that just Want a Supra because its the car they always wanted. Combine the higher demand, with the wider market, and the lack of raw numbers and suddenly that MK 4 supra n/t automatic is worth 18,000$. You wouldn't pay 1,800 for a similar year N/T Automatic Talon. Hell I wouldn't pay 1,800 for it unless it was pretty nice TSi, or TSi AWD.

The Camaros and Mustangs were made in much greater numbers than the Dsm's were, let alone the turbo models and as you said you couldnt give away a Mustang or Camaro or for that matter a Pinto or Vega or Chevette, now look at the prices for those unspecial mass produced pieces of junk, the Dsm's as they get scrapped will only increase in value. The Supra is nothing special, when it was in production it wasnt a major hit and dropped in value as years went by, the ONLY reason the Supra has any value is due to Fast and Furious movies and video games and magazines that keep it on the millenial desirables list, thats all. Had that Supra not been the "hero" in the Fast and Furious and had the fake sounds that made it sound so fakely good to the young ears, it would be worth 5k all day.

Just as I said years ago that the Dsm value would go up (and it definately HAS) I am going to go on record and say the the Supra and Evo values have peaked and will be going down in a town near you soon, you see this thing called the "Nissan GTR" has come to town to play, and you can now pick up a nice used one for the same price as a 30 year old outdated beat Supra, this will spell the Supra's doom as far as value goes and those that bought high are going to need to dump them now to cut their losses or they will lose alot of money, my buddy dumped his last year for under $25k for a mint untouched low mile car which was less than they had in it. And of course they had a GTR in the garage. The GTR and cars like it are going to mop the floors soon with that old junk as the prices on them continue to come down to reasonable levels and the banks will still actually loan money on a GTR whereas they arent going to be ready to loan on a 30 year old Toyota, the newer Nissan is flat out 10 times the car that the Supra is period.

I will have a Supra someday, as well as a Conquest but that might happen after I have a GTR at this point if the Nissan continues to be such a great value for the money, I will sit back and let the Supra and Evo and old Chevelles etc, etc continue to bottom out on someone elses dime, but thats just how I work, Im very patient and very logical in my approach to these things.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back