1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When was the cutoff for 6-bolt cars?

Posted by Mitsu-MattGSX, Nov 5, 2017

Please Support Boostin Performance
  1. Mitsu-MattGSX

Mitsu-MattGSX Probationary Member

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I'm buying a 92 Eclipse GS tomorrow for parts for my 90. Mostly for the interior and OEM radio. I was wondering when in 92 they started using the 7-bolt design because it might be worth saving that engine instead of scrapping the car when I'm done. Yes I know its non turbo and there is differences but it could be interesting to try an NA build or keep it around for a different project. I asked and the owner and they said its a Feb 92 car.

cano86 likes this.
  2. lasershark

lasershark Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2013
    over yander, Idaho
    If memory serves correctly I believe it was mid year june or july. Not 100% but July is what I remember.

My DSM:
  3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    April 1992. People are divided but I'm guessing that is the model year split.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  4. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I have a 92 that shows 6/92 on the sticker, I used that same logic(4/92) and bought all of the timing belt components for a 7 bolt, imagine my surprise when I took out the tensioner and it was a 6 bolt.. 2/92 should = a 6 bolt..

5. fatalis

fatalis Probationary Member

Joined May 19, 2012
    avon park, Florida
    The non turbo model are all 6 bolt they never came 7 bolt non turbo in us

6. nismojones

nismojones Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    7 bolt NA was absolutely available in the US.

OP- If your buying it regardless for the parts you mentioned, and the engine is good then IMO it’s worth saving if it’s either 6/7 bolt. Look at the oil pan on the front to determine which engine it is.

7. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I suspect that car is a 6 bolt. But keep the engine anyway. Blocks and cranks are the same turbo or not, and they are getting kinda hard to come by 6 or 7bolt.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  8. Mitsu-MattGSX

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I had my buddy buy the car for me while I was in Texas for the AF. His neighbors complained of it sitting there so I had it towed when I got home to my buddies apartment parking lot, where I've kept cars in the past because it was cool with them and they were living there. They moved out without telling me and the landlord had the car impounded before I could get my parts. Damn shame but I'm not trying to get the car out of the impound not even in my name and far away.

9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You need new friends...that would be the end of it for me, no friend would do that to another friend as far as I'm concerned, maybe most people just expect less or are more forgiving of douchebaggery than I am but thats just how I would handle it, lose my number and I lose theirs.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
  10. Mitsu-MattGSX

Joined Oct 30, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    One went to Florida and the other to Mexico, they can get bent for all I care

11. boostjunkie92

boostjunkie92 Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2016
    San Jose, California
    mid 92

My DSM:

16g   manual