The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G When to buy a turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK9er

Proven Member
Jun 1, 2014
lincoln, Nebraska
I will be needing a new turbo for my car. I am looking for an evo 3 or the 68hta. I've been following the classifieds and 16gs seem to rarely come up for sale, but if they do come up, they are sold fast. So, my question is, forced performance has the 68hta on sale for $700 right now. I don't need the turbo right now, but if it's a good deal, I don't want to let it pass. I am going to be replacing the engine so this isn't a rush thing.
What do you guys think?

Check around the sites for who's having a black friday/cyber Monday sale over the weekend. Then get whichever you want on a good sale.

Take a look at this link before you turn your back on the 68HTA, it is what pushed me over the ledge for the price(it is a brand new turbo too, not used) http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/fp-68hta-dyno-results.374097/ << Start on pa. ge 8 and read on...... >>>> Overall, I think this is a great f***ing turbo, especially at the price point. Of the few bolt-on stock frame turbos available to us, I'd definitely say this is a good choice if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of spool for significantly more airflow up top. At redline, my bastard 20G was moving around 41 lbs/min @ ~25 psi. In contrast, I'm logging slightly over 47 lbs/min @ 25 psi on the 68HTA. Of course, results may vary, so these numbers aren't gospel, and I'm not saying they are. I'm just sharing ACTUAL DATA derived from my own setup with the community.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! Definitely gives me some stuff to think about.

I would say wait around a bit if u don't need a turbo asap. The e316g is a great little turbo. From what I've read the 68hta v2 is a little laggy.

This.

Followed by what @ChessmoDSM said.

I've run the evoIII 16g. followed by the v268hta. then switched up for a v1 68hta. between the 3 I'd take my v1 all day long. I'm flowing 51lbs/min at 30psi on a turbo that spools exactly like the evoIII.

Better question is. what are your goals? How has no one asked this.

What fuel?
What are your expectations?
What will you be using the car for? street use? autox? drag?

I will say this. if you can find a v1 68hta. buy it and you'll probably never regret it. if you want to stick to lower boost levels (under 25) then skip the v268hta. but if you want to run higher boost levels (25-30) then the v2 isn't such a bad idea.

I'm still figuring out goals. I don't have any hard hp goals. It will be a street car, I know that much. I am going to run pump gas. I might to a water/meth injection at some point. But to be perfectly honest. My goal right not is to get the car on the road. I bought the car (1990 talon awd) with a blown motor. So, I am getting a stock rebuild. The old motor has HKS 272 in it, evo injectors, 2g maf, either a 2g or evo exhaust manifold, and might have other stuff too, not sure if any of it is good though. It's kind of a mess right now. I need to take a bunch of pictures and post them to ask what i actually have. But that is for another day. Just trying to cover my bases now IE engine and turbo, since both need replaced.

I'd stick with an evoIII or v168hta, expect to pay around 3-400 for a good used evoIII and add 100-150 for a v168hta. it should be noted to properly run the v2 68hta you need to feed it oil from the OFH. it CANNOT be fed from the head. Ask me how I know :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back