The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

When are better headstuds needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson159

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2017
Billings, Montana
I have a 2g eclipse with a 6bolt swap and I just bought a 16g my goal is around 300whp maybe a little less so I was wondering if I was gonna need arp head studs? And what is the safe limit on stock headstuds If I can’t make 300whp on them?

I have a 2g eclipse with a 6bolt swap and I just bought a 16g my goal is around 300whp maybe a little less so I was wondering if I was gonna need arp head studs? And what is the safe limit on stock headstuds If I can’t make 300whp on them?
I would say they are completely unnecessary on a 6 bolt for most guys. The 6 bolts have 12mm thick bolts. If your motor is untouched with the composite gasket id leave it be until you need a headgasket or are going bigger. The stock oem bolts are better then standard arps imo. If your doing a head gasket you need to replace the bolts as they are torque to yield. You can measure the shank, i believe they should be 99.4mm. Focus more on proper engine manage ie your tune and getting fuel to the fire. So in summary.....the standard bolts will hold a shit ton of hp, more than most need. If your doing a headgasket Id go arp but only because you need to replace them anyway. or you can go l19 and call it a day

Stock head bolts and standard ARPs are good to 28-30psi. After that you you need the A1s or L19s. At 50psi I would recommend the 1/2" head bolt upgrade by boostin.

28 psi from a something like a 6466 will create alot more cylinder pressure than 28 psi from say a hta68. Its not the boost psi, its the cylinder pressure in the many thousands of psi from combustion.

There's more to it than just xx psi, bigger cams will allow more air volume into the cylinder at xx psi of boost, larger cylinder head valves and ported heads would also affect the volume of air at a xx psi of manifold pressure.

More air volume/mass in the cylinder should equal higher cylinder pressure.

So if you're on stock cams and head with say a 16g turbo you would probably do ok on stock bolts until something happens.

If you got cam's, headwork and a bigger turbo pushing higher psi with more aggressive tuning then studs of some sort wouldn't be a bad idea.

WE got some real smarty pants here. You over thinking it, I said they are good up to 28-30 psi....That means you if you want to run more than that you will need better studs......so. AN HTA 68 won't run 36PSI consistently so it doesn't matter, nor will a 14b, 16g, 20g etc etc which implies you are going to need a bigger turbo to run that kind of boost.

I suppose you could be running a 42r on 30 psi and that would be more than the stock bolts can hold......but this scenario is if you are using a turbo at it's full capacity, not half assed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back