The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

wheel/tire weights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoha2

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2007
madison, Wisconsin
I have three sets of wheels for the Talon; The stock swirlies with Firestone Firehawk H rated tires 225/55/16, Enkei J10s 16X7s with BFG Traction TA V rated 225/50/16s and OZ Superleggera 17X8s with Falken Azenis 512s W rated in 235/45/17s. I was really excited about getting a new lighter weight wheelset and just for kicks weighed them. I was kinda disappointed with the weights. I just used a digital bathroom scale. Nothing too fancy or too scientific. I think it has been said that the stock swirlies weight 22 pounds. I can't confirm that. The Enkei J10 16X& wheels weigh 16 pounds even. The OZ Superleggera 17X8 wheels weigh 15.9 pounds. I was really expecting the wheel tire combos of the aftermarket wheels to be much lighter than the stock swirlies! Not so much. I think it also has a lot to do with the different ratings of the tires and their different sizes and widths. Evidently a H rated tire is lighter than a V or W rated tire. There is much more sidewall reinforcement in a higher speed rated tire. Those Firestone Firehawk tires also have a lot of tread gone. Regardless of total weight; both of the aftermarket tire/wheel combo have much better handling! The Falken Azenis on the Superleggeras offer frightening levels of grip! :talon: I think it is interesting that the BFG Traction TAs are wider in a the 225/50/16 size than the Falken Azenis 512s are in a 235/45/17 size. Just a tad but they are wider. Maybe a bit less than a half inch? Also, the Falken tires are the only ones there with rim protection. At this point I just want the stock swirlies to go away, I love the Enkei J10s and have gained a lot of respect for those BFG Traction TAs! They aren't an expensive tire but they handle great! They really surprised me in the snow. I am keeping them as my drag and winter wheels. I love the Oz Superleggeras! They are beautiful! The tires are insane! I think I am going to have the OZs powdercoated matte titanium. They are my daily driving (no snow) and autocross racing wheelset.

back again

Attachments

• DSCN1782.JPG
    DSCN1782.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN1779.JPG
    DSCN1779.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN1780.JPG
    DSCN1780.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN1783.JPG
    DSCN1783.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN1781.JPG
    DSCN1781.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN1784.JPG
    DSCN1784.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 214
Don't forget the rubber has weight too. Wider tire = more rubber = more weight.

the 235/45/17s are 8 inches wide at the contact patch, the 22/50/16s are 8 inches wide at the contact patch. I didn't measure the stock swirlies tire width as I scraped those tires. The stock swirlies weigh 23.4 pounds without tires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back